Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Health to Strava isn't correct

(Topic created on: 09-07-2020 08:49 AM)
SamLeSolide
Explorer
Options

Hi developers,

My galaxy watch active 2 (46) is really good.

The main issue is that when Samsung Health send my data to Strava, the global running time isn't correct anymore.

My last run of today : Samsung Health 30min40 and Strava says 25min44. Any idea why there is a difference in the time ?

For me clearly Samsung Health is right and data get wrong when going to Strava.

Thanks in advance for your support

Screenshot_20200331-173026_Samsung Health.jpgScreenshot_20200331-173214_Strava.jpg

302 REPLIES 302
nycoy
Explorer
Options

Just an update on my follow up with Samung. I got an email reply from them saying  "We kindly inform you that we sent your case to the department in charge and we are expecting an answer from them.".

I still can't see the question in the Help portal or on Samsung Members app on my phone. So I really have no idea what info they actually have. But I still hold out little hope...

Samsung reply.JPG

Skully14
Explorer
Options
AndreGomez

Should have bought Garmin. It's so frustration see all this folks trying to contact Samsung's devs to fix this and don't have the correct feedback. Just in case, any of you guys try record a run with Strava App directly on Galaxy Active 2?

Andregomez Hi, yes on my next run ,im going to try the Strava app on the watch, and not the Sam Health.

Ill probably take my phone and use the Strava app from the phone to compare both.

I updated to latest version of the Strava app for the Activity 2 watch yesterday !!

Ill update the thread when done.

Good luck everyone

tomatoketchup
Journeyman
Options

Just for the fun of it, thought I'd copy and paste all my interactions with Samsung. I've persevered, but there is no interest from them to sort out the issue and now I give up.

As a customer, I don't really give two hoots if it's Strava or Samsung (I have logged it with both). I just want them to knock their heads together and solve the issue for their "customers" as opposed to just saying it's the other person's problem! They really are completely clueless.

May 29th - Sent to Samsung

Hello

I use the Galaxy Watch, synced to Samsung Health to Strava. It is increasingly proving itself a useless device for health tracking.

There are two issues.

1) Samsung Health is not syncing correctly with Strava. The time spent running is incorrect and therefore the pace and all statistics are not being correctly recorded. This has been reported by others and is an issue with the data file that Samsung is sending in sync to Strava

2) the calorie count when running in Samsung Health when using the galaxy watch is woefully inaccurate and is under representing the calories burned. If I track running just using Samsung Health on the phone or by the Strava app on the watch the calorie count is more accurate but if I track running on the galaxy watch it's woefully undertracking calories.

May 30th - Received from Samsung

From your inquiry I understand that you have encountered mutliple issues regarding the Samsung Health application on your watch.

In order for us to be able to further assist you, please contact us again with the following information:

Samsung Health > Settings > About Samsung Health and tap about 10 times on Samsung Health icon. Then, there will be SEND LOG REPORT menu. Please send this error report and also send the log files of the watch.

To extract the log files of the device, please follow the steps below:

1.Enter *#9900# on Dialer on Watch
2.Run LOG_DUMP
3.Dumped log files can be sent to paired mobile device
4.Select ‘Extract LOG_DUMP’
5.You can see ‘Extract Log_Dump Success’ after sending dump (ex> Galaxy S6\Phone\Pictures\Gear)

Then, follow the steps below to locate the dump log files generated on your mobile phone:

Instructions for access from PC:

1. Connect your mobile phone to the PC, via USB cable.
2. Access the drive for the mobile phone’s internal storage.
3. Search for the folder “Pictures/Gear”.
4. Select the log file to be sent.

Or

Instructions for access from mobile phone:

1. Open “File Manager” on your mobile phone.
2. Access the internal storage.
3. Search for the folder “Pictures/Gear”.
4. Select the log file to be sent.

Your service log data does not include your personal information. Therefore, it is safe to share it with us. We will delete all your files once we successfully resolve your issue.

Once you have extracted the log files of the device, please send them using the "SEND LOG REPORT" mentioned above along with the Samsung Health logs. Contact us as soon as you have done so, providing the email address you used to send them and the Samsung Health version.

In order to contact us back, please go to http://help.content.samsung.com and sign in with your Samsung Account. Click on 1:1 Inquiry > My questions - Add question.

June 3rd - Sent to Samsung

Please find attached log files as requested. I look forward to hearing back with a resolution

June 4th - Received from Samsung

We kindly inform you that we have received an answer from the department in charge.

Kindly know that the Gear device does not support the feature to sync data directly with the Strava app. Workout data on the Gear is able to be synchorized with Strava after completing sync to Samsung Health app on the mobile phone.

Please make sure that you try connecting with the Strava app through the 'Connected service' section.
Data sync with Strava is supportive with "Connected service" on mobile Samsung Health app and in order to do it, you should synchronize mobile Samsung Health and mobile Strava app. It is necessary and that's the way we support the feature.

Please check whether the circle is turned out grey or not.(via Samsung Health > More > Settings > Connected services > the circle next to the Strava icon.)
If the circle is turned out grey color, it means that the Strava is not connected with Samsung Health.
If the circle is turned out green color, it means that the Strava is connected with Samsung Health.

If you are receiving the wrong data although the data sync was successfull, we would like to inform you that there might be a gap in data between Samsung Health and Strava due to the difference in their algorithm of calculating the data.

However, if you happen to think there is an issue with the results of the exercise measured by Samsung Health, please send us the information below.

- The new screenshots of workout details(Full screenshots including maps and weather data)

Calories from workout results are calculated by your profile information(User information and Activity level) and workout time, speed, elevation etc.

In case there is a difference in your profile information burned calories may be different even though he/she measure the same exercise at the same time.
Therefore, please check your profile information.

If you think there is still an error on Calories, please provide us screenshots.

- The screenshot of the user's profile via Samsung Health > Profile > User Information and Activity level
( Or Gear device > Samsung Health > Settings > Profile )
- The screenshot of the details in workout results (Full screenshot)

June 22nd - Sent to Samsung

Hi

This doesn't solve the issue.

- I am not asking the Gear Device to sync with the Strava app - I am syncing from Samsung Health to Strava. It is this that is syncing incorrectly
- The app is correctly connected through the "Connected Service" section. The circle is green
- Samsung Health is sending the data to Strava but is sending the incorrect data
- The point of the complaint is that the explanation "there is a gap of data" is not a resolution. Fundamentally you can't send incorrect data to Strava and then say there is a "gap in data". It is not sending my exercise data correctly.

I have attached a pdf document that demonstrates with a two different sets of data. Page One shows a run in Samsung Health and the resulting run synced to Strava. You will see that this the moving time, and therefore average pace is incorrect. I also completed the run today using the Strava app on the watch and you'll see it's reporting a very different calorie count.

On page two it shows a similar run with the same issue.

As I mentioned in my original closed ticket, this is not an isolated issue to me. You can see there is a whole thread about it https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/Wearables/Samsung-Health-to-Strava-isn-t-correct/td-p/1643853/pa... where engineers are even trying to offer solutions but these issues are falling on deaf ears.

I have, for completeness, also attached a screenshot of my profile as requested.

I look forward to a resolution. Please could I ask you do not close this ticket until the issue is fixed to ensure it is escalated to the correct level.

June 25th - Reply from Samsung

Kindly know that we have received an answer from the department in charge with Samsung Health.

First of all, once the exercise records are linked from the Samsung Health app to the Strava app, the original data is transmitted without any extra process.

Therefore, it is difficult in our position to explain why the data displays in the Strava app looks different from the original record transmitted from the Samsung Health app as we assume that the displayed data is processed and shown through Strava's system.

Thus, if exercise is measured incorrectly in the Samsung Health app, please contact again with the wrong exercise record attached.

June 25th - Sent to Samsung

HI. I am reopening my previously opened ticket, as you have closed it with "Here is the answer to your enquiry" but it has not been resolved. This has not been an issue previously with the watch and therefore something fundamentally must have changed that has broken the data syncing correctly. I do not care one jot whether it is Strava or Samsung - I would like you two to work together to resolve this for your customers.

I fear that the information I have provided, including the link to your own support forums where there are a substantial number of other users experiencing the same issue, has been simply disregarded with little or no attempt to explore the issue to resolution. I will elaborate below with a number of questions (numbered) - please in your next reply could you please reply to each of the questions in turn.

In your reply, you state that "in our position it is difficult to explain why the data displays in the Strava app looks different from the original record transmitted from the Samsung Health app as we assume that the displayed data is processed and shown through Strava's system".

Q1. When your engineering team have discussed the issue with Strava's engineering team, what have been the conclusions of those conversations?

Q2. With reference to the previously provided link to your community forums provided (where there are 16 pages of unhappy customers not being responded to) https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/Wearables/Samsung-Health-to-Strava-isn-t-correct/m-p/1821147#M15...; On Pages 8-9 onwards there are a number of users who would indicate that the issue seems to stem from Samsung's integration into Strava's API and that the TCX file Samsung is sending is missing GPS co-ordinates. What were the findings of the engineering teams investigations into this point?

Q3. Why do you keep closing my ticket as "answered" when it's not? And why is nobody responding to your community forums on this point.

June 26th - Reply received from Samsung

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting us. We appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

As I understand from your iqnuiry, you have some questions related to our apps and system.

First, please know that any possible discussions between our engineering team and Strava are kept confidential until a joint decision is made.

Second, any issue brought forward by the comunity are under solutioning and most of the issues are solved with the upcoming updates.

In regards to your questions questions, please know that my colleagues have answered your questions via email. Please check the Spam folder to make sure the email that usually contain a link are not diverted there. Also, the questions on the community forum ( the official Samsung one ) are handled by our colleagues in HQ, that is working with reduced personnel due to the world outbreak of Corona Virus.

As a result of our interaction you might receive a survey. Please take a moment to inform us how was your interaction with our Customer Care representative. Your feedback would help us greatly!

Should you encounter any other unexpected situations and have more questions, please do not hesitate to contact us and our support team will assist you with all the necessary information.

Also, if you visit the Content & Services Customer Support Website, http://help.content.samsung.com, you will be able to find all Samsung Content and Services we support in your country.

Thank you for using our services. Your satisfaction is very important to us.

Kind regards,
Ron
Customer Service Center

June 26th - Sent to Samsung

Hi.

Once more you have closed my ticket without resolving the issue or answering my questions. I am growing increasingly frustrated at the time I am having to take out of my day to try and persuade you to take my complaint seriously. At the root of my frustration remains the fundamental issue that Samsung Health is not syncing exercise data correctly with Strava. I have tried to be proactive in providing links to others who are trying to solve YOUR ISSUES yet all I get is generic replies that bring us no closer to solving the issue. I have provided screen shots, system logs as requested.

In your non-answer to Q1 you state that any discussions between engineering teams are confidential and in your non-answer to Q2 you state that issues that are raised through community forums are fixed through updates.

I require more specific detail - so here are my new questions

1. Have you identified the root cause of the incorrect data sync between Samsung Health and Strava

2. When will this be fixed and when can we expect the update

Thanks
Jon

July 6th - Reply received from Samsung

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting us. We appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

We apologize for the late response.

If there is any doubt that data measured by Samsung Health is wrong, we can analyze to solve the problem, however, in this case, the main issue is that the GPX file extracted from Samsung Health goes different once it is displayed in Strava app, not Samsung Health.

Please note that Samsung Health is unable to make any modification to the measurement when you attempt to extract the data.

Also, as we explained, even if you extract the GPX file from Samsung Health and upload the exact same GPX file to Strava, it is possible to be displayed differently on Strava app if you are using different logic/algorithm in your system.

Therefore, kindly be notified that to get more info about this, you need to contact Strava's side.

"As a result of our interaction you might receive a survey. Please take a moment to inform us how was your interaction with our Customer Care representative. Your feedback would help us greatly!

Should you encounter any other unexpected situations and have more questions, please do not hesitate to contact us and our support team will assist you with all the necessary information.

Also, if you visit the Content & Services Customer Support Website, http://help.content.samsung.com, you will be able to find all Samsung Content and Services we support in your country. "

Thank you for using our services. Your satisfaction is very important to us.

Kind regards,
John
Customer Service Center

nycoy
Explorer
Options

Hi @tomatoketchup  - I think for those of us who have tried contacting their "help" and "support" teams, we've all been round and round and round and round  and round  and round  and round  and round  and round  and round  and round  and round  and round  and round  and round  and round the same circles. 

But well done for persevering as much as you did!

I'm wating for yet another similar response to my latest question from them, along with the usual, update firmware, don't move slowly, reboot the phone, watch, television, gas boiler, car.....

0 Likes
maverick1103
Pioneer
Options

@Arie67 wrote:

Yes!! Finally, I managed GearTracker fully aligned with Strava.

To test each setting individually, I made a few rounds. GT Service provides a more accurate GPS. It prevents straight lines on map and incorrect distance. In Strava Link settings, Duration is on Watch. With this, Moving Time is equal to Duration which make Pace correctly presented. The configuration of the Lay-outs makes it complete.

So goodbye S-Health. What a joke!

I got mine working again yesterday too, when I reset my GWA2 and installed GT one of the settings was wrong, which was the GPS wasn't set to GT service so my first 2 runs didn't log correctly and now they are.

GT is much better than S Health anyway, totally worth the £6 IMO.

0 Likes
Arie67
Navigator
Options

You can use Strava App on watch directly instead of S-Health. It works fine and is syncing to Strava correctly. However, the app had bugs in the recent past and has limited functions, screens are not configurable and for me it is hard to read.

S-Health is offering a connection service to Strava. So, you can use S-Health on watch and data will be synced to your Strava account. Unfortunately, data synced via this service is not correctly presented in Strava. Moving Time is not correct, and therefore Pace is incorrect. This is the annoying issue, ignored by Samsung.

In S-Health you can export GPX file and you can import this manually to Strava account. Then data is correctly presented in Strava.

As an alternative for S-Health and Strava apps on watch, I now use GearTracker which meets all my needs. I was inspired by this posting. Also, there is a very helpful tutorial on YouTube.

https://eu.community.samsung.com/bgros26334/board/message?board.id=uk-wearables&message.id=14216#M14...

AndreGomez
Journeyman
Options

I did the same for the Strava app on the smartwatch. I will run and compare with S-Health. But I look forward to hearing your results, thank you!

0 Likes
Arie67
Navigator
Options

I've found another work around to sync S-Health data to Strava. 'SyncMyTracks' is an app you can download form Google Play Store on your mobile device.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.syncmytracks.free&hl=en

This app looks like an automated feature which exports GPX file from S-Health and import it Strava (like you can also do manually).

Jared17ds
Explorer
Options

Iv tried exporting the GPX file and uploading it directly to strava and its still inaccurate is there something i am doing wrong?

@Arie67 wrote:

You can use Strava App on watch directly instead of S-Health. It works fine and is syncing to Strava correctly. However, the app had bugs in the recent past and has limited functions, screens are not configurable and for me it is hard to read.

S-Health is offering a connection service to Strava. So, you can use S-Health on watch and data will be synced to your Strava account. Unfortunately, data synced via this service is not correctly presented in Strava. Moving Time is not correct, and therefore Pace is incorrect. This is the annoying issue, ignored by Samsung.

In S-Health you can export GPX file and you can import this manually to Strava account. Then data is correctly presented in Strava.

As an alternative for S-Health and Strava apps on watch, I now use GearTracker which meets all my needs. I was inspired by this posting. Also, there is a very helpful tutorial on YouTube.

https://eu.community.samsung.com/bgros26334/board/message?board.id=uk-wearables&message.id=14216#M14...

0 Likes
nycoy
Explorer
Options

So, here below is the same old same old response from Samsung.

We kindly inform you that we have received an answer from the department in charge.

Please know that Samsung Health and Strava could have different algorithm on measurement of a same data. So, Strava might calculate different with Samsung Health for a same exact data.

When synchronizing data ‘from’ Samsung Health ‘to’ Strava, the original data is transmitted without any extra process. Samsung Health is unable to make any modification to the measurement when you attempt to extract the data.

Since Strava is a 3rd party app, please understand that we cannot explain or answer anything about Strava’s measurement.

If you need further check-up, please confirm if this data is ‘from’ Samsung Health ‘to’ Strava, or the other way around.

I clearly pointed out in my meesage that the "original data" that they send is the problem and by adjusting how they generate this "original data" they could fix this issue.  

A clear lack of willingness to do anything for their customers. And I can't follow it up because the query still does not appear in "My Questions" in their portal. 

I've been round this at least 3 times with them. It's hopeless. I suggest we all share with as many friends, colleagues, family members and other forums our experiences with this - people who take sports activities seriously shouldn't be buying a Samsung "Smart"Watch.