Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Health to Strava isn't correct

(Topic created on: 06-07-2020 04:44 PM)
SamLeSolide
Explorer
Options

Hi developers,

My galaxy watch active 2 (46) is really good.

The main issue is that when Samsung Health send my data to Strava, the global running time isn't correct anymore.

My last run of today : Samsung Health 30min40 and Strava says 25min44. Any idea why there is a difference in the time ?

For me clearly Samsung Health is right and data get wrong when going to Strava.

Thanks in advance for your support

Screenshot_20200331-173026_Samsung Health.jpgScreenshot_20200331-173214_Strava.jpg

302 REPLIES 302
Arie67
Navigator
Options

Why Samsung doesn’t fix this? This and the syncing issue are a real pain, not solved for long time? Why Samsung is letting their Watch customers down?

0 Likes
MirceaForce
Navigator
Options

I think Sean did not understand me again ....

Sean (Help Center)

Jun 29, 2020, 10:16 PM PDT

As a workaround until the next version is available, please either record with the Strava mobile app or link and record with your Samsung Health account.

Please follow this article for email updates on the issue.

Thank you for your patience.

Best,
Sean
Strava Support Team

sad.png

0 Likes
GrahamD100
Apprentice
Options

Strava's own app for Samsung watches was updated in the Galaxy Store yesterday.  Assume therefore that this was the fix Sean was referring to.  I've yet to test the updated app on a run but it is no longer crashing on opening as it was doing after the last update.  If it is working properly again then at least we have a way to record activity on Strava directly via our watches - even if the Strava app isn't as good an interface or doesn't collect as much data as Samsung Health.

0 Likes
Arie67
Navigator
Options

Since recorded Health data is not properly synchronized to Strava, I'm using a work around. With the Health app on mobile device you can export GPX file which you can import into Strava via computer. Then you'll get correct time and speed.

Exporting function GPX file is available on Samsung smartphones. Strange, it's missing on iPhone?!

0 Likes
nycoy
Explorer
Options

@MirceaForce wrote:

I think Sean did not understand me again ....

Sean (Help Center)

Jun 29, 2020, 10:16 PM PDT

As a workaround until the next version is available, please either record with the Strava mobile app or link and record with your Samsung Health account.

Please follow this article for email updates on the issue.

Thank you for your patience.

Best,
Sean
Strava Support Team

sad.png

Yup. Nothing to do with the issue in this thread...I fear this will go unfixed.

0 Likes
djw1
First Poster
Options

Thanks for posting that, co

@Kjf323 wrote:

I went for a 2.96 mile run yesterday and did 2 things differently -

1.) Turned off phone and left in the house while waiting for GPS to lock in on the watch - ~ 30 sec .

2) changed the watch setting to "highly  accurate location" 

The watch and SH app were identical afterwards - 2.96 mi/35:04 duration. Strava in "race" mode had the identical time and 2.95 distance. 

Thanks for this. I've often wondered whether part of the issue is to do with leaving the house and the watch breaking its phone connection then searching for GPS itself and the time this takes.

0 Likes
Skully14
Explorer
Options

Yes i agree, i think we will go round in circles!!!

I do still have an open report with Strava, i will update when/if i get a reply.

Cheers Ian

0 Likes
amallagh
Explorer
Options

While we all wait impatiently for Strava and Samsung to fix the upload compatibility issue between Samsung Health and Strava, we all have some sort of partial workaround that at least allows us to get some elemnet of accurate data onto Strava.

I think for most of us then distance and time are the most important, probably followed by pace and heart rate and then maybe cadence

Certainly when I bought the Active2, it was its integrated heart rate monitor that was a key feature as I hated wearing a chest strap.

Couple of questions - Has the latest edition of the Strava watch app sorted the data upload issue re accuracy of distance, time and pace ?

Problem with this of course is that there is no heart rate monitoring annd the functionality of the Stara App is appaling.  Can't read the screen on the go as it is too small, no screen customisation and I still haven't figured out how to stop it measuring before you are sure it has acquired a good GPS signal

I see from post on here that some people are separately uploading GPX files. Surprised this works to be frank but what a faff and a bridge too far for me. Never mid  the fact that the basic GPX file only includes location and time data.

Samsung have recently issued a Samsung Health App update  but has this sorted anything ? From the message from the Sumsung support person that was posted on this thread, it was clear that they had completely misunderstood the issue we are all facing. Very dissapointing. Does anyone know if this has resolved any of the issues ?

I've been out for run the last couple of days but not dared to use  the Samsung Health App that we all want to work.  I'm simply fed up having inaccurate data on Strava so have stuck with my own work around until someone else confirms it works ???  Any joy ?

My own workaround is the GearTracker App which I think is the best workaroud in that it does give prety accurate distance, time and heart rate data when uploaded to Strava when using 'GT Timing'  setting, and it does it all automatically without any manual input.

The GearTracker app is infinitely configurable and the designer has really gone to town on what you can see on the watch with easy switch between fully configurable screens on the go.  Post excercise analysis is also prety good on the watch but obviously can't compete with a full size computer screen or phone screen.

One limitation is that the GearTracker app doesn't have a phone or PC application for easier viewing and analysis.  This would be a really worthwhile addition for GearTracker but with reasonable uplaod to Strava it isn't too much of a problem.  It is really easy to fip between differnt workmout types and the screens are so easy to read. Much better then Strava or Samsung Heath. It is also very easy to confirm you have a GPS signal on the watch and picking up heart rate before you press start and set off. The autopause also works correctly. Despite confirming that you have a heart rate signal beore starting it prety much always doesn't read heart rate properly for the first 1-2 miles before it settles down and then seems to read OK bar the occaisonal spike.  However I found  exactly the same issue when using Samsung Health so may be something fundamnetal to the heart rate monitoring on the watch.

Average pace on the Gear Tracker App seems to be OK but when lookign at it in more detail it is fluctuation up and down much more then in reality. So still not perfect. It does throw out the mile interval pace out a little but not so much. The spike in pace recording are shorter term then that, so the mile pace is still reasonably accurate. 

So all in all I'm prety happy with the GearTracker App, the problem is that it doesn't seem to pick up my 4iiii cycle power meter. But then again neither does Samsung Health. To yet again I have another expensive peice of hardward in the form of my power meter crank that I can't seem to integrate with my other data and get onto Strava.

I really wish I'd bought a Garmin watch and separate cycle computer. Their hardware and software seem to integrate all these devices seamlessly.

The only thing I do hear is some issue with the Gramin's crashing part way through an exercise which is clearly frustrating, but this does seem to be the exception rather then the rule. I think this is maybe down to it trying to integrate so many other accessories and devices and the software integration this requires. I'd rather have all the data that is accurate most of the time rather then some of the data that is inaccurate all of the time, so the Garmin wins out until Samsung and Strava get their act together

If GearTracker would just :-

1) integrate the 4iiii power meter

2) work on the issues with pace (and heart rate) data accuracy to eliminate the short term spikes (I think the heart rate issue is maybe fundamnetal to the watch as the Samsung Heath App does the same, but the pace data on Sumsung Health doesn't appear to show the same short term spikes that it does on GearTracker. The fact that the mile interval pace is broadly accurate on GearTracker means I can live with it)

Then it would be perfect. Perfect and automatic upload to Strava for distance, time and heart rate, excellent customisation functionality (best I've ever seen on any app of any kind) and easy to read screens that are easy to control on the move.

I've been meaning to write to GearTracker about these 2 issues above. If those were sorted, I could forget about Samsung Health altogether.

MirceaForce
Navigator
Options

since strava uptated their app 1.4.3 on the watch ..the app has more bugs then previsious one ..

after some time the app does not open 

the proof I made a video 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15QByLJ9tIKJCTVC0RMUFyuQP3oEK8Xax/view?usp=sharing

p.s I will report to strava 

0 Likes
Arie67
Navigator
Options

With Gear Tracker syncing to Strava, I've the same issues as syncing Health to Strava. I walked a bit to test. 

Distance: GT= 3,01km  Strava=2.98km

Time: GT  30.32min  Strava=9.30min

Pace: GT=10.06min/km  Strava=3,11min/km

On the watch with customizable screens GT looks really good. But when the data is synced to Strava (like Health) results are completly different. :thinking-face:

0 Likes