Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Health to Strava isn't correct

(Topic created on: 11-06-2020 02:30 PM)
SamLeSolide
Explorer
Options

Hi developers,

My galaxy watch active 2 (46) is really good.

The main issue is that when Samsung Health send my data to Strava, the global running time isn't correct anymore.

My last run of today : Samsung Health 30min40 and Strava says 25min44. Any idea why there is a difference in the time ?

For me clearly Samsung Health is right and data get wrong when going to Strava.

Thanks in advance for your support

Screenshot_20200331-173026_Samsung Health.jpgScreenshot_20200331-173214_Strava.jpg

302 REPLIES 302
FerM95
First Poster
Options

This cannot be, samsung must correct the error, it is inadmissible in a 300-euro smartwatch.
No moderator has answered this topic that shame ...

0 Likes
BenKOz
Student
Options

Hi please fix this!

I believe Liann is correct - it is beause tcx files sent by samsung have data points without gps coordinates

strava has the same problem with suntoo : https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/360028942011-Moving-time-too-short-and-pace-too-fast-on...

This issue is so annoying, I am recommending people yo buy a garmin if they want accurate run data. 

0 Likes
kdbevere
Student
Options

Hello @all,

This is the answer I've gotten from Strava:

Thank you for contacting Strava. Sorry for the differences you're seeing in your activities. These data discrepancies could either be a result of the way your file is formatted or the way your device/app is choosing to analyze the data.

To provide context, Garmin set the industry standard with FIT and TCX file formatting (read more here and here). We use Garmin's file formats in order to upload and analyze the data in your file. If your device/app isn't following these standards or if the company has made file formatting modifications to accommodate device or app specific features, then we may not be able to correctly parse the files. This could lead to differences in your activity stats when compared between platforms.

Another consideration is whether your device/platform is using a different method than Strava when calculating your stats. For example, consider the process of determining how much resting vs moving time is in an activity. What constitutes a rest? Is it when you're at rest for 1, 3, 10, or 20 seconds? And what does your speed have to fall below in order for you to be considered at rest? 1 second might capture too many false positives and 20 seconds may be too strict. One calculation isn't necessarily correct or incorrect, but we do feel we're using standards that most athletes would agree upon.

We understand our athletes use hundreds of different devices and apps and are doing our best to accurately analyze each file regardless of the differences in file formatting. We're always working to improve our athletes' experience and we will pass this feedback along to our engineering teams.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Best,
Molly​
Strava Support Team

So what Strava wants to say:

'It works on Garmin, so use the formatting of Garmin.'

0 Likes
nycoy
Explorer
Options

@kdbevere wrote:

Hello @all,

This is the answer I've gotten from Strava:

Thank you for contacting Strava. Sorry for the differences you're seeing in your activities. These data discrepancies could either be a result of the way your file is formatted or the way your device/app is choosing to analyze the data.

To provide context, Garmin set the industry standard with FIT and TCX file formatting (read more here and here). We use Garmin's file formats in order to upload and analyze the data in your file. If your device/app isn't following these standards or if the company has made file formatting modifications to accommodate device or app specific features, then we may not be able to correctly parse the files. This could lead to differences in your activity stats when compared between platforms.

Another consideration is whether your device/platform is using a different method than Strava when calculating your stats. For example, consider the process of determining how much resting vs moving time is in an activity. What constitutes a rest? Is it when you're at rest for 1, 3, 10, or 20 seconds? And what does your speed have to fall below in order for you to be considered at rest? 1 second might capture too many false positives and 20 seconds may be too strict. One calculation isn't necessarily correct or incorrect, but we do feel we're using standards that most athletes would agree upon.

We understand our athletes use hundreds of different devices and apps and are doing our best to accurately analyze each file regardless of the differences in file formatting. We're always working to improve our athletes' experience and we will pass this feedback along to our engineering teams.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Best,
Molly​
Strava Support Team

So what Strava wants to say:

'It works on Garmin, so use the formatting of Garmin.'

Thanks for sharing that Molly. I think it reinforces what has been pointed out in this thread earlier too.

The problem seems to be that Samsung is not following the TCX standard correctly, probably specifically, by including Trackpoints without GPS data. And as such Strava is then assuming this is non-moving time. 

You could argue that Strava should extrapolate, but if that is not what the TCX standard says then you can see their point.

So for me, as I mentoined earlier, if this isn't resolved by Samsung (either by fixing their software or by working with Strava) by the time the iPhone 12 comes out, I will be selling my S9 and watch and getting an iPhone and Watch. 

amallagh
Explorer
Options

@Vii wrote:

With Grear tracker app, I had same issues. If you change couple of settings it should help

1. In profile you use go to sources and tap gps to change it to  gt service

2. In settings, Strava tap distance to change it to watch.

If you search for gear tracker faq, it's all there

Hope it helps🙂

Thankyou,

The GPS setting was on defualt so changed hat to GT service

I had never knowingly changed it before but distance was already set to 'watch' in settings

So do I still leave duration, speed, elevation, calorie all set to Strava ?

With just changing the GPS settings to GT service you think that might sort it ?

What does GT service stant for or what is it changing in practise ?

0 Likes
Vii
First Poster
Options

As I understand, Strava settings change if watch preprocessing data or sends raw data. In our case it fixes time issue with strava.  As developer doesn't mension to change other things, I left them as they are.

Gt service is a custom made service to read watch's gps data, opposite to the one samsung provides for developers. Again, developer says change it if you have issues with gps (straight lines for example), otherwise you can keep it in default.

0 Likes
PatrikCzech169
First Poster
Options

Hi, there is new apdate of Strava app in the galaxy store, if you're not happy you can use Strava directly from watches...

0 Likes
GrahamD100
Apprentice
Options

I wouldn't recommend using the Strava app on the watch.  Firstly it's pretty poor but secondly this weeks latest update doesn't work (it crashes on opening...check out all the reviews on Galaxy Store).  This week I had to switch to recording runs on Samsung Health after being a long term user of the Strava app (despite it's failings) due to the latest update crashing only to find this major issue with the Samsung Health data transfer to Strava.  What a shambles Samsung...if you're a Samsung watch owner and use Strava you're basically out of options (unless you take a 3rd party app instead).  Come on get this fixed!

Slc17
First Poster
Options

Todays Samsung health to strava disaster is an open water swimming one (my first attempt using this watch) Really disappointed to see it is even less accurate than a cycle or run activity... And no option to amend anything (eg. To call it a race). Honestly its embarrassing as strava friends wondering why my time is faster than an elite athlete. Distance and time differ so much and neither comes close to my partners Garmin data (who was with me on kayak) - distance only 5-10 out... Possible... But time and speed totally different.

Yesterday i did a run - hill training session. 20 short hills up and down. Samsung to strava data way out again... 

Samsung please.... Help!! 

0 Likes
MirceaForce
Navigator
Options

had the same issue ..samsung does not care about us at all 

0 Likes