Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Health to Strava isn't correct

(Topic created on: 04-06-2020 08:57 AM)
SamLeSolide
Explorer
Options

Hi developers,

My galaxy watch active 2 (46) is really good.

The main issue is that when Samsung Health send my data to Strava, the global running time isn't correct anymore.

My last run of today : Samsung Health 30min40 and Strava says 25min44. Any idea why there is a difference in the time ?

For me clearly Samsung Health is right and data get wrong when going to Strava.

Thanks in advance for your support

Screenshot_20200331-173026_Samsung Health.jpgScreenshot_20200331-173214_Strava.jpg

302 REPLIES 302
PatrikCzech169
First Poster
Options

Hi, I have the same issue. Please make log to Samsung...

0 Likes
maverick1103
Pioneer
Options

I wish I had downloaded Gear Tracker when I first got my GWA2, as following the method you posted above just works and as intended!

I used it for the 1st time yesterday and my distance and pace is now correct, I also much prefer the look of it when on a run that S Health.

0 Likes
MirceaForce
Navigator
Options
I have the same issue..did run 21km and in strava I have 20.5km.....they need to fix this issue
0 Likes
bearface
First Poster
Options

I have the same problem but I've come to the conclusion its strava that is problem not SH. So I dont use Strava. 

0 Likes
nycoy
Explorer
Options

@bearface wrote:

I have the same problem but I've come to the conclusion its strava that is problem not SH. So I dont use Strava. 

I think you could be right. But then what do you use for long term tracking of your activities?

The Samsung Health app is only available on the phone, and doesn't offer a view of all your history and the wealth of options that Strava does. If Samsung could offer a decent web app with access to all the statistical history that would solve the problem immediately! 

MirceaForce
Navigator
Options

how you came to the conclusion ? do you have proof ? 

0 Likes
MirceaForce
Navigator
Options

yes samsung health has a very hard to use interface.....when come to history....I don't know  who to blame for this issues strava or samsung ? or both ? :)))

0 Likes
nycoy
Explorer
Options

@MirceaForce wrote:

how you came to the conclusion ? do you have proof ? 

Not 100% conclusive. But what I have done is exported the GPX file from Samsung Health. If you look at that file you can see for example the start and end times of the recorded run and therefore know the duration. You can then easily look at what Strava shows as the duration and see the two are very different (and even changing to Race in Strava the durations do not match exactly).

I also know that some of the suggestions from Samsung support - eg that anyting less than 30 minute miles may count as stationary do not apply to me - I am never that slow. Nor do I rarely if ever stop completely - but if I did, I would be aware of that for that specific run, and would bear it in mind.

Now on the flip side, I am also sure that the method Samsung uses to populate Strava is probably via published APIs, and not just sending the GPX data - indeed, the GPX data is just that - GPS coordinates and timesamps. It does not contain, for example, heart rate data, which DOES appear in Strava. So clearly something more than just GPX data is being sent across.

So it IS possible that the way Samsung is using the Strava APIs is incorrect. 

But WHATEVER the issue is... It has been an issue for a LONG time. And Samsung AND Strava should be able to spare a developer each to look at this and fix it. As an IT person, I am confident it is not a difficult fix if the right people are working together. 

It is just unfortunate, that it seems neither company deems it worthwhile to do this.

MirceaForce
Navigator
Options

yes strava allows samasung health to write data to them...but no ok..sometimes is ok...

they are working togheter but not ok...I don't know why....they are cross platforms 

the heart rate is imported to strava for me..for my runs...

0 Likes
Liaan
Journeyman
Options

nycoy, you are correct, when Samsung health sync's with Strava it does NOT send a GPX file. The strava API has quite a few file formats that it can accept but Samsung health chooses to send a TCX file. Its possible to retreive the actual TCX file from Strava.

Looking at a TCX file that Samsung sent, it is clear that the files do not conform to the TCX standard. The files have 'TrackPoints' with heartrate data but missing GPS coordinates. It appears it is this that causes Strava to assume you were stationary from the previous track point which I assume results in Strava having the big gap between elapsed time and moving time. 

It is just sooo frustrating that we can't get Samsung to look into this. I'm sure I'm not alone in having my experience of their smart watch's entirely ruined by this one tiny issue that could so easily be fixed if only there was a way to communicate to Samsung...