Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Health to Strava isn't correct

(Topic created on: 13-05-2020 12:08 PM)
SamLeSolide
Explorer
Options

Hi developers,

My galaxy watch active 2 (46) is really good.

The main issue is that when Samsung Health send my data to Strava, the global running time isn't correct anymore.

My last run of today : Samsung Health 30min40 and Strava says 25min44. Any idea why there is a difference in the time ?

For me clearly Samsung Health is right and data get wrong when going to Strava.

Thanks in advance for your support

Screenshot_20200331-173026_Samsung Health.jpgScreenshot_20200331-173214_Strava.jpg

302 REPLIES 302
advblue
Apprentice
Options

Similar issue is happening when tracking cycling. Data is different in Strava. Quite disappointing.

0 Likes
Liaan
Journeyman
Options

Hi, I'm so glad other people also complaining about this, last time i checked there was nothing.

I'm a software developer by trade and have done quite a lot of digging into this to determine whether its Samsung or Strava to blame. I am confident the issue is with Samsung. All my attempts at getting through to support has failed so far, perhaps now that there are more people complaining about this rediculous issue i will have better luck.

Samsung health syncs with Strava by sending the activity data as a TCX file but the formatting of the TCX file is not supported by Strava and I'm pretty sure does not follow the standard. A TCX file is basically XML consisting of lots of individual "TrackPoint" objects each with a timestamp, gps coordinates, altitude, cadence, speed etc. It appears the TCX file that samsung health generates has one of these trackpoint objects with GPS every 10 seconds. The problem is that occasionally it adds an incomplete TrackPoint in between the GPS trackpoints that has heartrate data but no GPS data. This is what is causing strava to assume that you were stationary for a few seconds because no new GPS data arrived. I had a look at a TCX file exported by the garmin app and it reports all of the fields for every TrackPoint.

Pleeeeeeease have the developers look into this, it should be a trivial fix. Though, better yet would be to scrap TCX files altogether and use a more modern format like all the other watch brands do. Please let me know if theres anything else I can do to help get to the bottom of this. I will do anything to help fix this. This one stupid tiny issue ruins an otherwise amazing product.

dawson258
Student
Options
Thank you for your detailed reply, Liaan. I worry that this forum is not monitored by Samsung though. Maybe we could raise awareness via another route?

Twitter maybe?
0 Likes
SamLeSolide
Explorer
Options
Hi guys, I contacted Samsung Developper via another page and they Confirmed that they are reading this post and working on a solution with the Samsung Health. However, I fully agree, it is a shame that Samsung Teams doesn't reply. Honestly, very disappointed by their attitude, it is my last Samsung Device for sure...
gm1k
Journeyman
Options
Thanks for following up, do you have a link to that developer thread?
0 Likes
SamLeSolide
Explorer
Options

It is via email.. Here is their last reply:

Cristian Lewczyk (Samsung)

May 8, 2020, 11:37:15 AM PDT

Hi Sam,

I reported your comments and the thread you linked to the S-Health team and it seems like things are currently being discussed. I'm going to leave this ticket on-hold for the time being until I see some action/resolution come out of the discussion, feel free to reach out if you have any other questions in the meantime. 

Thanks,
Cristian 
gm1k
Journeyman
Options
That's awesome! Hopefully it's followed up internally :smiling-face:
0 Likes
maverick1103
Pioneer
Options

I've just come across this thread after doing some more research on the Active Watch 2, I was going to get the 1st gen model and then after checking reviews I've ordered the 2nd gen model which comes in a couple of days, however, I'm starting to regret it now!

I currently do 2/3 runs a week and have an S20 Ultra, I use Strava to record my runs and have noticed there's always been a difference between what S Health and Strava record, like a mile out between them using my phone.

I wanted a smartwatch so I can see visual notifications come in whilst I'm running or see how far I've run etc, my plan was to use the Strava app on the watch except reviews state it's not very good therefore I thought I'd use the S Health one and sync them to Strava after; until I found this thread!!

Now I'm unsure if I should just return the watch and carry on with using my phone! It would be good if Samsung fixes this issue but I can imagine it will take some time!

Just a question for those who have this watch, can I not just use Strava on my phone to track and will it show the info on my watch or are they completely separate?

Thanks.

0 Likes
emma-rose
Student
Options

After being disappointed with mine after only 3 days I returned it as I was getting no more from the watch compared to when I used my phone. Will either watch and wait to see if they develop the software or look into other brands. 

Pajke
Journeyman
Options

I have advice for you. Return the watch to the seller. It will be better if you buy a watch GARMIN 

0 Likes