Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy watch screen timeout

(Topic created on: 16-05-2019 10:08 AM)
paulj2
Student
Options

(1)  Can samsung please explain what the meaning of the screen timeout function is? It does not do what it says. I set the the screen to timeout to 1 minute and the screen just goes off as normal in like 3 secs. So now you must everytime flip your wrist for the screen to go on. 

(2) Why does the screen take so frustratingly long to go on when you flip your wrist? Sometimes it does not go on at all the i have to manually turn the dial to see the time, this is SO annoying. 

(3) Why is there a  second or so delay in the time and data when you flip youwrist. You can actually see the data "jump" to the correct time when you flip your wrist.

(4) The altimeter is never ever correct, even though i go to the beach to set it too see level, it never stays correct. 

(5) The heart rate sensor is actually a gimmick... right? im sure it is.

(6) Why are there so many pairing and bluetooth issues

(7) Why are the updates for this watch so far apart... It seriously needs updates

Samsung please fix the software on this watch, I do like this watch and I would like to continue supporting samsung products. But if its going to be this bad going forward i am going to be forced to switch.

8 REPLIES 8
SjorsK
Maestro
Options

(1)  Can samsung please explain what the meaning of the screen timeout function is? It does not do what it says. I set the the screen to timeout to 1 minute and the screen just goes off as normal in like 3 secs. So now you must everytime flip your wrist for the screen to go on. 

Is related to wake up gesture (Basically gesture based controls). You put it down, it turns off to save battery. You can of course turn wake up gesture off for manual controls. 

(2) Why does the screen take so frustratingly long to go on when you flip your wrist? Sometimes it does not go on at all the i have to manually turn the dial to see the time, this is SO annoying. 

Got no issues with that :face-with-tears-of-joy:

(3) Why is there a  second or so delay in the time and data when you flip youwrist. You can actually see the data "jump" to the correct time when you flip your wrist.

When the screen is off, the software that runs the GUI is not active to save battery. Whenever it is needed, it will calls for the data. 

(5) The heart rate sensor is actually a gimmick... right? im sure it is.

Nope, it measures it with light. Its a useful tool to track your health. 

(6) Why are there so many pairing and bluetooth issues

Works well with my S9+, got no issues with that

(7) Why are the updates for this watch so far apart... It seriously needs updates

Got no issues with that. Security updates should come when its required. Updating for the sake of updating is also something. I know that Samsung supports watches for a long time :smiling-face: 

(Yup, I skipped some points for multiple reasons where I find it has no added value and/or I simply don't use the feature in case :smiling-face: ). 

paulj2
Student
Options

Do you work for Samsing?

Everythimg i spoke about is what i am experiencing and many others, check youtube. The wake up feature must be fine tuned according to the screen timeout, this is basic knowledge. The heart rate sensor is the worst ever so is the altitude sensor. Its seriously always wrong. Compareed to apple watch pairing this does not compare at all. When i say updates, i mean they must update the software to improve the user experience

SjorsK
Maestro
Options

I'm not employed by Samsung. I simply speak of my own experiences with my Galaxy Watch as a customer.

The connectivity of the Apple Watch is actually quite horrible considering it only works with Apple Phones. 

I could only recommend that if someone has a Apple Phone and will never purchase a phone of any other brand. 

I'm quite satisfied with the heartrate sensor. Only issue is that it won't work well with sweat 😅

Neil69
First Poster
Options
I have the same problem with the screen timeout. If I flip my wrist it stays on for 3 seconds if I push the back button it stays on for the amount of time that I have programmed- so seconds. Also flipping the wrist it doesn't always come on- this works 25% of the time.
Robotman
First Poster
Options

The screen timeout works only for when you touch the screen. When flipping the screen you must do this slowly and then the wakeup gesture works ok for me. (SGW active 2)

Samsung should make an extra function in the software where you can set timeout screen for wakeup gesture. Like:

5 seconds, 10, seconds, 20 seconds.

askebaske
First Poster
Options

Screen time out does not work with wakeup gesture, disable wakeup gesture and turn on screen. Now you sould see the correct timeout 👍

Sarah 74
Student
Options

It's rediculous that I can't use the wakeup gesture with the screen timeout I want. I am a Potter and my hands are often dirty I don't want to have to touch my watch. That's why I have a watch in the first place, because my hands are dirty and I can't touch my phone.

razz58
First Poster
Options

Totally agree.  I have Wake-up gesture and it goes off after 3 seconds.  However, when you go past that screen (like into recent apps or steps, etc..) and into anywhere else the Screen timeout then gets reflected. I do agree that the screen timeout should be reflected upon wakeup and not the 3 seconds.  It is very annoying.