Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAMSUNG Galaxy Watch Active 2 : Disability Issues and Sleep/Heart Monitoring!

(Topic created on: 10-01-2020 02:26 PM)
VikingAle
Pioneer
Options

I've had this SAMSUNG Galaxy Watch Active 2 ("GWA2") since 06/01/2020, and it seemed OK, once I had got my head around the many features, and had disabled all those that I did not want.

I am now 60, with lower limb disability issues due to old motorcycle accidents (17 operations) and later added injuries when in UK Forces.

I was kindly given the GWA2 as a 60th Birthday Present to help with monitoring my very poor sleep, and also this years efforts to improve health and fitness via non-impact exercise, such as, initially, Physio, then hopefully later on things like Rowing and floor based exercises with weights, and maybe later this year some swimming and cyling, all in preparation for major surgery to replace a whole knee (yes the entire knee, which is a bigger one than even a Total Knee Reoplacement), probably a hip or two, and maybe an ankle.

I am also looking forward to the ECG feature, but appreciate this will take a few weeks yet whilst various Certifications are sought.

I have also recently discovered that I have serious Sleep Apnoea issues, so bad that it triggered Atrial Flutter one night, and put me into Intensive Care for 10 hours with my heart stuck in a 2:1 Block at 150bpm for 10 hours...which is basically what can happen when you neary suffocate!

All being well, I should get a CPAP (Constant Positive Air Pressure) machine soon, which should cure the sleep issues, and allow me to finally get some decent restorative sleep. Usually I am getting just 1-20 mins of Deep Sleep a night because of this, and the thrashing around I do in bed because of lower limb pain. Total sleep is usually between 1-5 hours if that, so I tend to be a bit tired during the day!

I was using a Polar A360 to mainly keep an eye on sleep, or the lack of it, and to help monitor activity and so on, when I will combine that with a Polar H7 Chest Strap if I can get onto the Rowing Machine (hips/knees allowing).

Anyway, the GWA2 seemed to be OK until this morning, when it suddenly elected to stat Monitoring me having a run, which was curious, because I was just sitting in front of the PC doing some admin!

It did not seem to want to stop, so I just went for a reset via my SAMSUNG Galaxy S10's App linked to the GWA2!

A PITA, as I then had to re-set a lot of features and widgets up all over again.

However, then it did the same again!

This time I was able to stop it, and then disabled the Multi-Workout Running widget, which seems to have calmed the thing down.

The GWA2 is fully patched with the latest updates as of today (10/01/2020), so I am writing this in case others have experienced the same odd behavior. I have it paired to a SAMSUNG Galaxy S10 Mobile (also fully patched).

I will update if it does it again, and will post up any other feedback related to this watch in terms of sleep monitoring issues and a disabled bloke starting to get fitter!

VikingAle

51 REPLIES 51
VikingAle
Pioneer
Options

OK, it's getting very strange!

It has re-booted itself a few times, but the buttons are mostly not responsive.

I did manage to use the lower button and made it shut down, but then it wouldn't re-boot!

Then it later re-booted all by itself, and it even registered that it was being charged, then SAMSUNG Pay came up again, but the buttons are not responding!

Now SAMSUNG Pay shows all of the time, and I cannot clear that down. No sign of other life!

My SAMSUNG S10 Mobile also cannot Connect to it either, even when SAMSUNG Pay is showing on the screen!

It's not a Happy Bunny at all.

OK, now the Bezel works for SAMSUNG Pay, which I never use, but I cannot get it to do anything, and the buttons do not respond.

I have just clicked Connect to SAMSUNG Pay, and it asked to Connect via Bluetooth, so I let it.

Nothing Connected, but the main Display came back.

Now SAMSUNG Pay has come back! It wants to Connect to my Mobile, and a fetching circle appears saying:

Connecting...

But nothing Connects, and my SAMSUNG S10 says it cannot Connect to the watch!

Now it say:

Open Galaxy Wearable on your phone and install Samsung Pay. OK.

Click OK, and it asks to Connect via Bluetooth, and I also ask my Mobile to try connecting again via Galaxy Wearables, but no joy either way, NO CONNECTION.

The watch seems to be stuck in some SAMSUNG Pay loop?

OK, I clicked Cancel from the SAMSUNG pay Connect Screen, and managed to get the main Screen back, but the buttons are not responding, although I can swipe the screen to get to the Applications.

Tried an ECG, and got a poor Sinus Rhythm waveform and result, but I cannot back out of the ECG when completed, the upper button is simply not responding.

So, looks like the watch is partially alive, but is not responding to the buttons, but is responding to the touch screen.

Yes, I can back out of ECG via swiping, but not via the upper button.

*****, I clicked on Heart Rate, and entered the advanced screen, but cannot back out of that at all, because the upper button is non-responsive.

Entered the Info Screen, now I am stuck there, and cannot back out, again, because the upper button is non-responsive.

All of this time, the watch is not syncing to my SAMSUNG S10 Mobile, so it's in some little world of its own, only responding to the touch screen, and nothing else.

This means I am getting stuck in Apps if I cannot reverse out via the screen, because, you've guessed it, the upper button is non-responsive!

Now the screen has gone blank, and the watch is totally non-responsive, not responding to either the buttons, the screen, or when placed onto the charger.

It has totally retreated into its own little world.

I think it's tits up?

Anyone have any ideas?

Is there any way to reset a SAMSUNG Galaxy Watch Active 2 that has gone weird and won't communicate via Bluetooth or respond to its buttons?

Ah, it has now re-booted itself AGAIN, without any intervention on my part.

But that looks like a momentary flash of life, it has gone back to being a dead thing, with nothing on the screen, no response to buttons, and no response when placed on charge.

This is not good, it's gone mad!

VikingAle

0 Likes
VikingAle
Pioneer
Options

Sadly, it looks like the SAMSUNG Galaxy Watch Active 2 has died, there has been no life from it since my last Post yesterday.

Not a peep.

No response from either buttons, and nothing happens when placed on charge. The battery was at 96% or above, so it's not a flat battery.

Wonderful.

Only lasted 2 years and 5 months, and for the first year or so, the key ECG Feature had not been enabled, which was why this was given to me as a present in the first place.

Looks like my next Posts will be covering what, if any help I can get from SAMSUNG UK to address this.

I note the Warranty is supposedly 2 years, which is all well and good, but something like this should be expected to last for at least 5 to 10 years, so it is demonstrably not of merchantable quality, if it cannot get past 3 years before expiry.

Looks like there is a paltry Trade In offer on the latest Watch 4 range. In the UK that looks to be GBP 95.00 for an LTE version when handed in but, that assumes a working unit, when mine is now dead as a house brick.

There is no way I am paying anything to have this fixed, it is way too young for that, and I'd only be throwing good money after bad. Other comments suggest SAMSUNG can charge up to GBP 200.00 to play with a defective unit, and still not resolve issues, so that isn't happening.

This is a PITA, as I have lost the easy checks of heart rhythm and pulse, plus sleep logs as well.

OK, will let people know how I get on, and will update if it's a dead end for me and SAMSUNG wearables.

VikingAle

0 Likes