Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 overheating issue

(Topic created on: 28-08-2022 04:36 PM)
AleXSR700
Pioneer
Options

Hello everyone,

I was happy when I finally received delivery of my new Galaxy Watch 5 Pro LTE but now it is going back, just like the Watch 4 did.

It seems Samsung has still not fixed the overheating issue ( see also https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/wearables/samsung-watch-4-lte-overheating-issues/td-p/4576408 ).

I have been able to easily recreate the issue. Simply stream a new podcast via Spotify (new, because if it is buffered or downloaded, the mobile connection is not used and power isn't ramped up) and go to an area with very poor reception. Instead of pausing the playback or simply accepting the poor reception, the Galaxy Watch 5 Pro LTE, just like the 4 LTE overheats and then goes into forced cool down, i.e. you loose all functionality.

I do not know why Samsung is having so much trouble fixing this. The solution seems so simple. Imagine your mobile phone went into a forced cool down everytime you had poor cell service.

Anyway, please test it and report it. Samsung does not seem to care, but well, all we can do is warn other users.

Cheers

Alex

31 REPLIES 31
rubbae
Student
Options

I'm also having overheating issues, but just when making calls in areas with low service. That with some other issues are making me want to return this and keep my watch 3.

Out of curiosity are you streaming spotify from the watch without your phone? I haven't been able to get that to work. Spotify just stops working when my watch disconnects from my phone, but I can still make calls and use other apps that require data.

AleXSR700
Pioneer
Options

It seems to be generally related to the mobile/LTE function. It seems (speculation mode ON) that when reception is poor, the power gets ramped up until the device overheats and then goes to forced cool down.

Easily reproducable.

Off topic:

Anyway, yes, I can stream from Spotify without my phone. You need to disconnect from phone, then turn on LTE and then open Spotify. It seems that the spotify app does not recover if you have it open when disconneting the phone.

Aviral Prakash
First Poster
Options

Yep, same issue with my Watch 5 Pro LTE - as was with my Watch Active 2. One would think they'd have resolved this issue in so long a time. Unfortunate because otherwise I think its a good product.

No issues in any kind of streaming, but when taking calls in areas with poor reception (or even indoors) it will always overheat within 10 mins. Easily reproduceable each time.

Maybe I can rely on the watch for an emergency call but definitely not taking any office calls on it anytime soon.

Hope Samsung sees this thread and puts a product team on a time bound project to fix this.

Dannyd2
Student
Options

I have Verizon service , 3 out of 5 bars of service where I live on my galaxy 5 watch . I wouldn't think that service is terrible but I always have this issue when I take a call . device overheats in 5-10 minutes and ends call , reduces the watch performance until it cools down. Very very frustrating . Samsung fix this, it is unacceptable. 

semsunguser77
Journeyman
Options

Just created my own post with the same issue to spread the awareness of this crappy watch. I just picked up the watch, less than one hour old. Over heated twice in the space of 15 minutes in a low cellular reception area. The exact same spot I had 2 x watch 4 LTE versions over heat. All of them an hour old after just picking them up. 

How is there not a fix for this that just stops the it searching for cellular for 2 minutes then attempts to search for it for 20 seconds. Stop for 2 minutes and so on until it finds the reception. Then the work out apps and Spotify would start from where it stopped.

DouglasK
Student
Options

I had the same issue with my watch 5 pro LTE.  I also had the same problem with the watch4 LTE.  I was hoping Samsung would have fixed this problem with the release of the watch5 but sadly they have not.  I guess I will be returning this watch.  Very disappointed in Samsung.

sam_sung_user
Journeyman
Options

Same issue here, galaxy 5 pro lte overheating, lost 40% battery in 2.5 hours, the device overheated 5 times and I had to restart it 5 time.

It happens also in wifi, not just LTE. I guess when you but the same hardware of last year you get the same bugs of last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXGYT2cuqoI

Diggedy
Journeyman
Options
Sadly I dont think anyone will pick this up, I had the active two and the watch 4 classic and both have the same issues, so its nothing new. I was going to get the watch 5 but googled this first to see if it was fixed and thankfully this thread was at the top.
I think the watch 4 will be my last samsung watch unless they fix this as im not able to leave my phone behind if im in a low signal area otherwise it constantly overheats and kills the battery
AleXSR700
Pioneer
Options

I sent my Watch 4 LTE back because of this issue and sent my Watch 5 Pro LTE back because of this issue.

Samsung simply does not care one bit about this issue. This is a known bug and no one cares.

I don't think anybody should kid themselves. Samsung "support" keeps saying that this is unknown and to do resets and firmware updates. I wouldn't call them liars, but they simply are not knowledgable and no one of the higher ups seems to care enough to flag this issue.

So, unfortunately, no more Samsung watches for me. They are pathetic quality. Plain and simple.

Let's see if Google Watch has the same issue.