Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Samsung galaxy watch 5 mileage inaccuracies

(Topic created on: 03-07-2023 12:19 AM)
TLC66
First Poster
Options

Just got a Samsung watch and the accuracy of the GPS on my runs is horrible! One of my routes is a simple 2 mile neighborhood run. My Garmin tracked it consistently. I would be off with my partners apple watch by 0.05 miles at most.  Now when we hit the 2 mile mark, my Samsung health app shows 2.18miles! That is an unacceptable variant. There's no way to correct the distance that I can find so that my pace is accurate. I bought this to replace my Garmin but holy cow... This has to be fixable. I have all updates installed and my watch has GPS (blue dot appears on Google maps on watch, but I have to close it to launch running) on and is independent from my phone. Am I missing some other fix? 

9 REPLIES 9
AaronAJ
Options

@TLC66 I am sorry to hear about your Watch5! Please check to see if your smartwatch has location turned on by doing the following:

1. Press the home button on the watch.
2. Swipe down on the face of the watch.
3. Select the settings icon.
4. Select Location.
5. Select the switch next to 'On'.

Is location on your smartwatch turned on?

0 Likes
TLC66
First Poster
Options

Yes, my location is turned on. This is how it can horribly track my run, showing me randomly running off the sidewalk into people's backyards and crossing streets that I didn't cross. From the years of complaints in this forum Samsung has been aware of this issue and chooses to do nothing to fix it. I will be returning to using my Garmin. I always felt I had a better product over all my friends and family who choose Apple products until now. When my partners Apple watch tracks our run with absolute precision and my latest run added 0.28 miles to our 2mile run, I have to admit defeat. It's getting worse each day. I really wanted to stick with Samsung but this known and ignored issue is an embarrassment. 

Jgrove
First Poster
Options

Im having the same issue 4 mile run comes in at 4.2 miles!

0 Likes
Waldläufer68
Navigator
Options

Same here. GPS accuracy on GW5 LTE is ridiculous - jerky, inaccurate (up to 20% off on track length and speed), absolutely useless in its current state.

It used to work much better when I first got it (in August last year, pre-order launch unit); it only got bad later, either due to one of the later firmware releases, or due to a botched repair (had the sensors unit replaced - twice). My bet is it's the firmware.

Anwar68
First Poster
Options

I just did my Kuala Lumpur Full Marathon 42km on 1-Oct. My galaxy watch 5.0 showing I've ran 55km.

It had always been in accurate.. But not this bad. Looking for a Garmin now. 

mickyd3
First Poster
Options

I am also experiencing the same issues. My mileage is much worse. I can do a 1.6 mile walk and it shows accurate for much of it until I get closet to home Ann then the distance jumps back to .8 miles. The gps is very inaccurate and the way the watch uses gps makes it worse. I will turn off gps in the future as it seems to provide more accurate distance using steps. The watch is junk if it cannot be more accurate in measuring distance.  My old LG watch was way more accurate and my Garmin, obviously very accurate. Samsung, you need to fix this issue. Either bad programming or worthless gps you use in this watch.

0 Likes
mickyd3
First Poster
Options

The SAMSUNG watch 5 is junk for fitness purposes. The gps is way off and also in the way Samsung uses the gps to figure out where you been. With gps turned on, I just walked 1.6 miles and the watch was mostly accurate until I got in my neighborhood and the. It thought I did a .8 mile loop in my neighborhood. In looking at the map. It dropped of most of my hike and the .8 mile loop it created isn't even possible as there are no roads, sidewalk, just trees and marsh land where it thought i walked. I notice the watch is actually more accurate if I turn off gps. What a waste of money.  Samsung engineers must be fat because they definitely do not use this watch for accuracy.  If they did, these issues would have been fixed a long time ago.

0 Likes
EdG3
First Poster
Options

I am having the exact same issue. I just did the Phila Half Marathon, and the watch was off by more than  + .5 mile, so my pace was slower than my watch was showing. This is the second time this has happened in an event. I love the watch but it is absolutely unreliable for use in any distance event. I will not make this mistake again.

0 Likes
Waldläufer68
Navigator
Options

As reported in numerous other threads, I have not seen this issue ever since the "big" firmware update a couple of months ago. GPS tracks are stable (I'm using the new Manual Start feature), distances are off by less than 1% even in difficult areas. Just this sunday I did a 10k with official markers, my auto-laps were all close if not spot-on. Other brand watches around me were neither better nor worse.

That said, as an experienced marathon runner, no GPS tracking will ever be accurate enough for exact pacing when you're pushing your limits. Go by heart rate to max yourself out, use manual laps (double tap!) for pace.

Good luck!

0 Likes