Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 not tracking swimming

(Topic created on: 02-10-2021 11:31 AM)
Pirchy13
Apprentice
Options

Hi! 

It's less than a week since I got my new watch. I was really excited about, however was disappointed on my first swim. I tested it for swimming in the sea 3 times and it failed me every time. For this price level, this is really unacceptable.

Unfortunately, it tracks only time, heart rate, and calories. It does not measure distance, it doesn't calculate speed (pace), and it doesn't display the path on the map. I have the location turned on and also a swim lock screen.

Is there any setting I need to tweak to get this working or is that a fault in my watch? I'd really appreciate a prompt response so that I can return the watch if needed within the 14-day period of purchase. Thanks

16 REPLIES 16
TessM
Mastermind
Options

Hey @Pirchy13 ,

The Galaxy Watch 4 allows you to track and view exercise information such as your heart rate, distance, or time, on the workout screen. However, there are some factors that may affect the swimming records. Find all the information about this on page 51 of this manual. 

0 Likes
Pirchy13
Apprentice
Options

hi!

None of the factors listed on page 51 apply in my case: When you select Swimming (pool) or Swimming (outdoor), the recorded value may
not be accurate in following cases:
– If you stop swimming before reaching the completion point
– If you change your swimming stroke midstream
– If you stop moving your arms before reaching the completion point
– If you kick with your legs on a kickboard or swim without moving your arms
– If you swim with only one arm
– If you swim under water
– If you do not pause or restart the exercise, but finish the exercise while resting

Is there any idea why distance and my location is not tracked? Thanks

Kirsty4
First Poster
Options
Mine is also an issue. Bought the galaxy watch 4 a couple of weeks ago for tracking swimming amongst other things. Is completely out - it recorded 14 25m lengths this morning. I did 72! So very, very out. Looking at list of things that could affect it the only one I can think might is changing strokes however I do a length on my front and a length on my back and alternate so I change every 25m. Not really acceptable for something so expensive. Any ideas?
0 Likes
Pirchy13
Apprentice
Options

Common, Samsung Support! I hope you see that it is embarrassing for such a reputable brand like yours to offers such an expensive product with such faults ...  Can you provide updates that will fix those problems (related to swimming)?

Act fast and provide us with solutions or at least with some instructions on how to proceed, or we will be forced to return the product.
FYI: My mom is using Huawei's Watch fit-smart watch, which is about 1/4 of the price of the Samsung Watch 4 and it delivers all the data when swimming (including stroke type, ...) without any issues.

Please, keep in mind that we have 14 days to return the watch, thus your prompt reply and potential solution are required. Thanks

Marty313
Navigator
Options

There is another thread on Outdoor Swimming by @Mikeality It simply does not work on the Watch 4. I tried it for Sea Kayaking, it did not work either. There is a very comprehensive review on Outdoor Swimming watches on the net.

Unfortunately, the Watch4 in my experience also disappoints when tracking pool swimming. The next time I go swimming, I will try the swim.com Wear OS app to see if it is any better. 

Galaxy Watch4 Galaxy Watch4 Classic 

0 Likes
Pirchy13
Apprentice
Options

Any Samsung rep here? 

0 Likes
AsadM
Options

Hi @Pirchy13, it'll be ideal for you to discuss this with our Technical Support Team for guidance on this. They can be contacted on 0333 000 0333. 

0 Likes
Pirchy13
Apprentice
Options

I've been in touch with Samsung support in Slovenia (my country) and they weren't able to help. I've done as instructed (updated watch, Samsung Health, reconnected, ...) but nothing fixed the issue. The watch still doesn't measure distance when swimming. I guess I'll have to turn the watch into technical support. Maybe they can fix it or provide me with a new one. 

The thing that annoys me is the fact that I bought a new (a rather expensive gadget) that doesn't do what it was supposed to. I've already wasted a lot of time with support trying to fix the issue. (I'm talking hours. Considering my hourly rate, I've wasted more than the value of the watch.) Now I'm going to waste even more time on visiting local stores, then collecting it, etc. The point of the gadget is to make our lives simpler and save us time. I've experienced the opposite and no one will compensate me nor other customers dealing with the same unacceptable problems. Our time is precious but I don't feel like Samsung acknowledges that. The way you react to this makes me think as you consider it as something normal. And that is just wrong; this should be unacceptable for you. You should do better in releasing 100% functional products. I hope this reaches people in charge to make sure you better test your products. Thanks

0 Likes
Marty313
Navigator
Options

Dear Kirsty4,
My impression is also that the Galaxy Watch for is unreliable for pool swimming. I am now trying out the swim.com app. When I last swam in the local 50 m pool I wore the Suunto 7 on my right wrist and the Watch 4 on my left. The Suunto 7 was spot on, but I failed to understand the swim.com app, so it recorded nothing. But nothing is perfect: No matter what I tried after my swim, I could not get the Suunto 7 synced with my Sony Xperia 5 II. I claim that ALL current smartwatches suffer from glitches. Apart from swim tracking the Watch 4 works pretty well on everything, and I am happy with it. Of course I could wear my Garmin Swim 2 which is the industry leader on swim tracking, but I think the watch is not very smart and I don't want Garmin's software on my phone. It would be nice if Samsung could come with a fix for excercise and swim tracking.

Galaxy Watch4 Classic 

0 Likes