Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy Active Watch

(Topic created on: 04-09-2021 05:26 PM)
mjrosenberg11
First Poster
Options

I have had my watch for about 6 months. After a while I noticed very strange calorie counts for my activities e.g. 1500 calories in the gym when I was having a lazy session stretching.

Afterwards I found forums saying that the calorie count didn't use heart rate to calculate...what the hell?? The means calorie count isn't based on the amount of effort you put in and is just based on how long you do a task for. I don't expect this watch to be as technical as some Garmin's because it's an "active" watch, but you need to have accurate calorie count. For a lot of people that is why they are active!

Can someone confirm if this is the case please - I would never have bought this watch if I had known this. 

0 Likes
2 REPLIES 2
AndrewL
Options

@mjrosenberg11: The total calories you burn includes your basal metabolism calculated based on the profile you registered. When you launch the Samsung Health app for the first time, the basal metabolism you expend until the time you launch the app will be displayed as the calories you burn. The automatic exercise recognition feature measures the distance travelled and calories burnt using the acceleration sensor. The measurements may not be accurate depending on your manner of walking, exercise routines, and lifestyle.

0 Likes
mjrosenberg11
First Poster
Options

I think you're down playing this a little by saying "manner of walking". On that method I could log a Weight training session on my watch for 3 hours, do absolutely  nothing , and "burn" thousands of calories. Its very misleading. Heart rate zone is key to burning calories and your calculations ignore that entirely.

It's such a shame you dont use heart rate in the calculation when you capture this information anyway.

0 Likes