Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Running Tracking Delayed Start by about 5 to 10 min

(Topic created on: 13-09-2022 09:29 PM)
Klvn
Apprentice
Options

I bought the Samsung Watch 4 Classic and so far so good.

But I identified a problem with the running tracker app. I start the running app on the watch, then I start running around my neighborhood. After I am done returning to where I started, I click finished on the watch.  I check my exercise history on the phone and will see my route starting about 5 to 10 min away from where I started. I did this repeatedly and it happened everyday.

So picture this, instead if seeing a full circle of how I have run, I see a three quarter drawn circle because it looks like GPS did not start right away. It may have something to do with auto workout detection but I'm manually starting the running app.

Galaxy Watch4 Classic 

Please advise how I can fix this.

16 REPLIES 16
F3 Posh
Student
Options

I haven't even tried anymore, it just kept doing the same thing. I started running with my phone to track my runs which pretty much made the watch obsolete. 

Solution
MikeRock
Explorer
Options

You can check if the watch has fixed the GPS signal the following way: swipe right 2 times to get to the sports face start. It has 3 favorite sports and another circle that says "more". Click on it and slide to the sport you want to start. If it is a sport that requires gps signal, the GPS symbol will flash on the top (near the heart symbol). When it stops flashing, you can start your activity.

bcworld
First Poster
Options

I'll add in that this is still a problem on Galaxy Watch 5. I don't really consider the answer that has been marked as a 'solution' in this thread to be one! Hanging around at my front gate for up to 5 mins waiting for a GPS signal before I can accurately track a workout is not a solution to my mind...there has to be a better answer for this!

0 Likes
Andrew2002
First Poster
Options

You can download an app on the Google play store it's called wear GPS fix and it helps you get a perfect lock on GPS and only then will it start your workout.

I had the same problem as you but ever since I downloaded this app it has fixed everything.

Try it out and reply if it works for you. 

Screenshot_20221123-161442_Google Play Store.jpg

0 Likes
bcworld
First Poster
Options

Thanks for the suggestion Andrew2002. I tried it, but I find I still spend about the same amount of time waiting for a GPS fix. So ultimately, it seems to me like this is some sort of limitation or problem with the watch (the entire range of Samsung watches) that the performance for latching on to a GPS signal is just plain bad!

0 Likes
markccarey
First Poster
Options

Wondering if anyone can provide a real solution.  I saw a solution posted by MikeRock that is more of a subpar workaround as I know I will not wait several minutes for the watch to fix on GPS before starting a run. Especially since this was never necessary before. Up until a week ago I have tracked hundreds of runs through Samsung Health on my Galaxy Watch 4 (several Months) and the Galaxy Watch 2 (for a couple years before that) that did not require fixing the GPS to start the activity. 

What changed to require this action? Is it Samsung Health or the Galaxy Watch 4 that needs fixing? And what needs to be done to make this automated again like it used to be? Also, if this is now a requirement for all activities such as cycling and outdoor swims, then this application/watch combo is no longer a solution for me and wondering if anyone has alternative solutions that would only require one application and one device for accurately tracking all outdoor activities without restrictions such as having to wait several minutes before fixing on GPS.

littleJ01
First Poster
Options
I have the Samsung Galaxy watch4 and my friend has an apple watch we both done the exact same route but her watch completed 5k before my watch! Please help there's a delay with my watch
0 Likes