Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Podcasts on Galaxy Watch 3

(Topic created on: 03-01-2021 06:38 PM)
Beef_Stockholm
Pioneer
Options

Hi, I'm a proud owner of a Galaxy Watch 3 and a S20.

I've googled around and searched here but can't find an answer to a basic question. ie. How to listen easily to podcasts on the watch, syncing with the phone etc.. 

What's the best app? And easiest way to get the podcasts available while away from the phone.

I found someone mentioned google podcast but that doesn't work. I use Player FM which I really like, but when changing the download location, I still can't find the files to push to the watch in the wearbables app.

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks!

52 REPLIES 52
miczz
Journeyman
Options

I'm playing around with the FolderSync app.  The free version should suit me.  It will sync 2 folders so I'm setting up the Source as the Podcast Addict podcast folder and the target is Samsung Music folder with a Podcast folder under it.  Presumably I can download a podcast from PA and it will go into the PA podcast subfolder.  When that occurs I can Sync it to the Samsung>Music>Podcast.  Since it syncs subfolders also then I'm expecting them to be there.  I have already seen that any file or subfolder that I put under Music will get sync'd to my watch.  I'll come back after my POC.  Happy New Year!!

IGOROZZ
Journeyman
Options

Sounds interesting. Let us know if that works. Happy New Year.

IgorOzz
0 Likes
jberries
First Poster
Options

Here is a hacky workaround to add podcasts manually...

-use Google Podcasts app and download a podcast on your android phone

-on your phone go to this directory, where the downloaded podcast should be:

/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox/files/Podcasts/Downloads

-copy the latest downloaded file to your SDcards music directory. (internal music directory may work too). The file will be something like 1609617146046_pTT0XPkAScim

- in your SDcards music directory, rename the copied file adding a '.mp3' extension

-go to Galaxy Wearable app -> Add content to your watch -> Add tracks -> Select track -> Done

Track should transfer to your watch and be in the Music app

0 Likes
miczz
Journeyman
Options

Looks like FolderSync is the answer (for me). I use Podcast Addict and go through the various Podcasts sources I have added.  When I select the download button it downloads the podcast into the PA download folder.  It creates a separate folder per podcst source.  (i.e. a folder for NPR, a folder for Intellegence2, etc.).  I have set up a folder pair in FolderSync with Remote Folder = PA download podcast folder and Local Folder = Samsung>Music.  When I click on the Sync button all the podcasts with their folders are sync'd to the Music folder.  I am not using the Auto Sync in the Wearable app so I still need to go to that app and Sync the folders.  They are are listed with the names and logos I saw in the PA.  They all end up on my watch for my listening pleasure.  Sounds like a lot of steps but it is pretty straight-forward once the FolderSync is set up.  i used a Filter of mp3 extension just to be sure I don't get something I don't want.  I did find a quirk. I originally created a Podcast folder under Music and tried to sync the PA podcasts there.  For some reason the sync worked fine but the Wearable app would not see the newly sync'd folders/podcasts. When I changed to sync'ing just under the Music folder all is good.  Hope this helps someone else.  I'm using the free version of FolderSync, but it is pretty slick.  If I find more uses I may upgrade to Pro.

0 Likes
Beef_Stockholm
Pioneer
Options

Thanks for all the replies guys. What works easiest for me is the PA app (not the most user friendly app). Prefer player FM but this one shares its downloads and the download folder can be easily changed to samsung music and synced easily.
Maybe we should try lobbing spotify too. The recent update is still not stable but has improvements with control for spotify connect devices. Surely they could just add the podcast option when in standalone mode and have the apps sync for seamless playback.. I'll try starting a thread there when I get some time.. 

0 Likes
JL97
First Poster
Options

i made an account just to say this: please make an podcast app with offline function. This is a effin no brainer... Pleeease

miczz
Journeyman
Options

I don't think Samsung reads these posts.   I have a simple question in another post about where to find gestures and all I hear is crickets.  Hopefully, we can rely on developers to come to our rescue.  Although, I kinda get the impression they like keeping their platform more closed than open.  That works for Apple, but Apple is ahead of what their customers want instead of having customers wanting.

0 Likes
Mark7619
First Poster
Options
I'm interested in this. The whole.point of the watch is that I don't need my.phone when I go running.
GalaxyFanJimmy
First Poster
Options

Please fix this Samsung - I suspect you will be losing many users to the apple watch by not offering a feature which is fair for all customers to expect given how you market this product as a health gadget within the Samsung ecosystem.  

0 Likes
Davel265
First Poster
Options
And another one Samsung. This watch lacks the basic functionality that would let users leave their phone at home, especially when running or other sports. Having only got mine yesterday I am really disappointed with it so far ☹️
0 Likes