Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Podcasts on Galaxy Watch 3

(Topic created on: 29-12-2020 01:19 AM)
Beef_Stockholm
Pioneer
Options

Hi, I'm a proud owner of a Galaxy Watch 3 and a S20.

I've googled around and searched here but can't find an answer to a basic question. ie. How to listen easily to podcasts on the watch, syncing with the phone etc.. 

What's the best app? And easiest way to get the podcasts available while away from the phone.

I found someone mentioned google podcast but that doesn't work. I use Player FM which I really like, but when changing the download location, I still can't find the files to push to the watch in the wearbables app.

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks!

52 REPLIES 52
GrumpyOlMan
First Poster
Options
Got a Samsung Watch 3 for Xmas and am guessing my wonderful partner and brother who shelled out for it had no idea about watches and just got the expensive Samsung one they thought would be good. The watch looks and works great at basic functionality but there is virtually nothing available to tailor it to me. Amazon music - no. A hiking flavoured GPS app (like the one I had on a £70 mobvoi watch 2 years ago) - no. A podcast app - no. Currently it seems this watch is like having a fabulous, expensive mini disc or VHS system - It looks good and might be great but there is nothing available for it so it's pretty ponitless. I would definitely be interested in a podcast app for the watch. It is a basic option for this technology. If Samsung wants to put Tizen on their products (and it is a good operating system it seems) they need to have a range of apps that work with it or they might as well not bother.

I am so disappointed by this watch and feel bad because my family spent a good deal of cash on it and I can't really see any point in using it at the moment as I'm just not that fussed about knowing exactly the minute when my latest spam email arrives.
Chazzim
First Poster
Options

I agree that being able to listen to podcasts using the storage on the watch is an elementary feature that needs little explanation.  I upgraded from the Gear3 Frontier to the W3 with the intention that I could ditch my phone and still listen while I am out running.  There has to be a way to pull already downloaded files from the Google Podcast app and import them to the W3.

Beef_Stockholm
Pioneer
Options

I managed to get podcast addict to change the download folder to samsung\music and check the box to share with other apps.  

You can then use the wearable app to transfer the MP3 files to the watch. That's the best I've managed to come up with. 

IGOROZZ
Journeyman
Options

As a workaround, and that's not how it should work, we can use Spotify, create a music Playlist, but instead adding songs to it, we can add podcasts episodes, then it'll sync to the watch. Finally, on the watch, we can download it. But everything must be done manually, which obviously sucks.

That's far from what I expect (which would be a reliable podcast app that automatically syncs new episodes to the watch so I can listen to my shows while running and only using the watch and a BT earphones paired).

I'm still hoping Samsung fixes that and provides us a real and true Galaxy Ecosystem.

IgorOzz
miczz
Journeyman
Options

Looks to me like the only way to get standalone podcast via Spotify is with the Premium version. I donty have that or want that. I could not find Goggle's podcast when I downloaded (except via Google). I use Outcast but whenever I changed the download location it did not do it. I am downloading the podcast(s) I want and then doing a file search for addict. The folders with the downloads are there. As has been mentioned before, once the download is moved to Samsung's Music folder then BINGO! I can see them on my watch. I listened with the Health monitor active and life is good... Well satisfactory anyway.  outcast has the right idea, but I cannot get it to accept my changing the target.  Hello!! Samsung are you listening?

poirob
First Poster
Options
I will second the need for seamless podcasting on the Watch3, I am so disappointed that this not implemented, to the point I am considering getting the watch exchanged for another
miczz
Journeyman
Options

My mistake - I meant to say I use Podcast Addict also.  I looked at Outcast and it did not have anything else to use.

IGOROZZ
Journeyman
Options

You are right about the Spotify Premium. Maybe we can also improve your method with some Bixby Routine, Tasker or IFTTT. Anyway, that’s absolutely frustrating to not have something so basic natively in our expensive Galaxy Watches. Hoping Samsung fix this very soon.

IgorOzz
0 Likes
IGOROZZ
Journeyman
Options

I fully understand your point. I also can’t leave my current watch behind and start really using my Galaxy Watch 3.

I use an iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch for years (and also being using a Galaxy Note since the Note 4). This time I planned to move from Apple to Samsung, but this an some other small things are just holding me back.

My Apple devices just work perfectly and they are fully integrated. Wanted to move to Samsung to have more choices, customizing and the prices in my region are much more reasonable for Samsung devices, but I just could not yet.

IgorOzz
Betacord360
First Poster
Options

I'm interested! It's absurd it's not a thing already or, at the VERY least, have an app that syncs with a reputable podcast app. Pocket Casts is one that comes to mind. They have a standalone app on Apple Watch, but have no plans in the near future to make one for Samsung Watches (I asked). Maybe you could reach out; you scratch their back, and they scratch yours. I just got my Samsung Watch for Christmas and I'm wholly underwhelmed. Great, I can pay $10/mo for it to work without my Android, but to what end? There is zero Google integration (thanks to y'alls Obsession with Bixby), so I can't listen to anything on YouTube Music. Bixby is worthless for information. I don't use the stock messaging app, so my seriously awesome (not being sarcastic) third-party sms app, which does have a Tizen app is hardly seamless. But, boy howdy do y'all have a metric ***** ton of watch faces! That's the real reason I wanted the watch...soley for watch faces....

All sarcasm aside, I'm seriously considering switching to an Apple and abandoning the Samsung ecosystem entirely. It's THAT bad.