Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pairing an external external heart rate monitor to samsung health

(Topic created on: 21-10-2020 01:27 PM)
Rach77
Pathfinder
Options

Has anyone tried to pair an external heart rate monitor to samsung health as a work around for poor heart rate tracking on the Galaxy Watch? I've just ordered a Tickr chest strap as its one of the listed compatible heart rate monitors on the Samsung health app. I'm hoping that when I do a boot camp style workout or a stair climb workout (the Galaxy Watch seriously fails to track both of these for me) that by pairing the Tickr with Samsung health I can track those workouts and get a heart rate graph at the end of my workout on the Samsung health app. If anyone knows if this will work could you please let me know. I'll test it out and post my findings in the next couple of days. I'm gutted that I'm having to try to use work arounds on this as the Galaxy Watch should be able to track heart rate. 

28 REPLIES 28
FurianXO
First Poster
Options

Bottom line is this, Samsung watches are ***** at this.  The watches are a small window into your phone, and that is it. If you want to monitor excercise activities (with ease), go with a watch that specializes in this...  ie. Garmin, fitbit, etc.

I wish i could return this junk, believe me.

Nevovk
First Poster
Options
https://youtu.be/x-Firh141Ww
Watch this video to use your galaxy watch with a Bluetooth HRM device
Rach77
Pathfinder
Options
Thank you.
2ndwindranch
Student
Options

I'm having the same issue, and all roads end at the sporty watch face and his youtube video! Props to that guy for figuring out his own workaround and sharing with everyone!

mrkmax
Apprentice
Options

Definitely something that woudl be awesome to have. Any updates?

DannnyP
First Poster
Options

I am disappointed with Samsung on this.
I love their products, literally have a house full of them but they seem unable or unwilling to invest the time in fixing this issue.
As others have mentioned the built-in sensor is ok, but not accurate enough for training.
If the "sporty Face" man can create a work around, poor that Samsung can’t............

Michiel31
First Poster
Options

I bought the Samsung Watch because it looks much better (in my opinion) than the one from Apple.

I have the same problem with the bad quality of the heart rate when running. I wanted to buy/install the Sport Watch app, but can't buy because I use an Iphone....no possibility to buy apps for this Watch when having an Iphone, welcome to the 21st century. So I took the phone of my son (which is a Galaxy) and installed the Sporty app, just to see. If you switch from phone, you loose all apps and data on the Samsung Watch. The Sporty watch face works great (Polar H7 sensor) and shows immediately the poor accuracy of the heart rate monitoring of the Samsung. But...now my watch is paired with contacts, agenda etc. with the phone of my son. Trying to connect my Iphone back results in loss of all apps installed on the watch. So where I bought it for....totally useless.
Furthermore it seems impossible to NOT have your agenda and contacts synced with the Watch and a lot of for me useless apps pre-installed. Apps I would like to buy can't be bought. So pity for the over EUR 300,00 I spend on this watch.

Dock06
First Poster
Options

As long as Samsung will not allow the watch to pair with an external HR monitor, it will not be practical as all work arounds. You cannot really run with your phone, sporty watch does not work flawlessly. I should have sticked with Garmin...

Robatilho
First Poster
Options

As a work around I discovered the app Gear Tracker.  It costs money, but it's worth it as it has features and functionality that the Samsung Health App probably should have had to begin with.

https://galaxystore.samsung.com/geardetail/ye0lz9RwAz

I'm able to connect my Polar H10 heart rate monitor to my Galaxy watch with the app.

When I first looked into a way of getting this to work, the Sporty app was not available, but at the time of writing this, it looks like it's available again.  May give that a try to compare it.

But I just wish Samsung would have included this basic functionality to begin with.  Please consider adding this so that we don't have to use a third party application.

lorraineg57
Pioneer
Options

I have used both GearTracker and Sportywatch. For me at least, Sportywatch is much more user friendly. I still wish Samsung would step up with this though. If I use the Sportywatch watch face in order to see my external HR, I can't see any of the info in the samsung health watchface without switching back and forth which is hardly ideal. 

0 Likes