Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not counting steps accurately whilst pushing pram, wheelchair, lawn-mower, shopping trolley or golf cart

(Topic created on: 23-05-2021 09:43 AM)
TNJGB
Navigator
Options

I and others have previously mentioned that only a very small proportion of steps are counted with the Samsung Watch-3 whilst pushing any form of wheeled machine. Whilst I have the Watch-3 I still wear my old wrist FitBit as it counts steps fairly accurately whilst pushing any of these machines, I have also used a very old FitBit in my pocket for comparison and its step count is within 1% of the wrist FitBit, neither of which have any GPS. I have tried swapping between wrists and this makes no difference.

Why is it FitBit can measure the steps when pushing a machine but the Samsung Watch-3 cannot? It is not a faulty Samsung Watch as the sensors all work on test and it also measures steps when not pushing a machine. I can only assume there is something in the firmware or software than is not interpreting the sensors whilst pushing a machine.

Has anyone found a way around this issue?

5 REPLIES 5
AlexGbr
Pioneer
Options
In my opinion counting steps is one thing, while you push something or not move is not counting steps, anyway try to reset or to check of updates for it hard to believe but it can happen.
0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@AlexGbr: I think this has something to do with your arm position while pushing the objects, as if they're held out in front of you, as opposed to being by your side, this can affect the accuracy of the step count. Do you find that the count is more accurate when you arms are in their natural position while walking? 

0 Likes
TNJGB
Navigator
Options

The watch will count steps whilst walking with arms swinging. It will not count steps when holding the handle of any object and undercounts steps when your hand is not swinging such as in your pocket. Other brands of wrist step counters do work when pushing objects or when you have your hands in your pockets.

Here is the last weeks step count as measured by Samsung Watch 3 and Fitbit Inspire on the wrists and a Fitbit One in my trouser pockets. Every day I have walked at least 7000m pushing a golf trolley.

Samsung Watch 3 Fitbit Inspire HR Fitbit One
Sat 11121 19777 19309
Fri 8418 16568 15936
Thu 9040 17802 18067
Wed 9293 18617 19267
Tue 6636 13571 14183
Mon 5971 10210 10471
Sun 10310 20120 18320
DianDD
Voyager
Options

My old Fitbit used to count properly even when pushing a trolley. The Samsung galaxy watch 4 counts nothing! At my work I push trolley for many many many hours and from 25000-30000 steps I am now at 5000 ridiculous and the only way to get my step count is to let the Samsung health app count on my phone but it drains battery 

0 Likes
Pylarue
First Poster
Options

Same here went for a walk with my 4month old daughter..was pushing the baby jogger. Did a 5km walk and my galaxy watch 6 counted 1000 step while my galaxy s23ultra in my pocket counted 6000 steps. Pretty sure ita the fact the arm are resting so there's no actual "walking movement" from the arm 

0 Likes