Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with Active 2 reporting low heart rate

(Topic created on: 10-01-2020 04:41 AM)
Sheady01
First Poster
Options

So I replaced my Fitbit with a Samsung Active 2, which was a great pair with my phone. After some time, I began to notice that the heart rate was reporting very low during the night while I was sleeping. I have been getting reading like 35 bpm at 2 am and then it would return to normal at 61 bpm at 3 am. I began to notice that this is a repeating problem occurring two or three times throughout the night obviously this is very unnerving. It's obvious that anyone with a heartbeat that low would be in intensive care at the hospital. Is anyone else experiencing this problem on the active 2? I have only owned the Active 2 for about 90 days.

21 REPLIES 21
ReclusiveFox
First Poster
Options
I have just swapped from FitBit to a Galaxy Active. it is saying my heart rate drops to between 40 and 71 during the night when I sleep. I am worried by this but after reading these comments I feel a bit better thinking it's a Samsung problem and not my heart I am.going to wear my partner's fitbit tonight and see what it says.to compare. it is quite stressful!!
JaiTee
First Poster
Options

I accidentally fell asleep with my watch on one night and it showed a readying of 32 then back on the 60's. I slept with it another night and the same thing. I called my Dr and he said it was very concerning and wants me to get a sleep study and see a cardiologist.  What's weird is when I switch the app from hourly min/max to continuous, it doesn't show the low reading. 

I'm stressing myself out over this but it makes me feel a little better that I'm not the only one. 

Screenshot_20210828-074153_Samsung Health.jpg

0 Likes
Abeyta55
First Poster
Options

Screenshot_20220404-060018_Samsung Health.jpg

 I've recently switched to a medication called propranolol and I've noticed this similar thing happening to me once to twice a month but never really paid attention to my heart rate tracking prior. But the watch supposedly has tracked my heart rate go down to 30 On multiple occasions and when searching my history I couldn't see any other events like this prior to January this year. 2022 I've owned my watch for about 2 years now and seen 1 other event that went to 38 bpm all of these while sleeping. I don't know if these are glitches in the Samsung active 2 watch (my watch) due to reading these old posts I have less anxiety over it possibly being something with the watch that's had an obvious history of it prior? Or worse.. my medication is causing my heart rate to drop that severely a few times a month while I'm asleep... I don't want to believe the last one so I'm hoping beyond hope it is in fact a glitch and not something normal. As in the picture the drop is quite Sudden and reads not as a constant. I'll show in the pic.

Screenshot_20220404-055442_Samsung Health.jpg

0 Likes
Abeyta55
First Poster
Options

Screenshot_20220404-065952_Gallery.jpg

0 Likes
Abeyta55
First Poster
Options

Don't know if you can see that well but it's very Sudden. Not like a gradual lower and lower till it reached 30bpm. It was more like 65 ish bpm while sleeping to BAM 32bpm for like 10 minutes or something. Which is the reason I'm trying to consider that it may be the watch it's self and not me. As a side note I've been to a cardiologist this past year and my rhythm and everything is great and checked out fine when doing a echo on my heart. Strong and normal. If that helps ease anyone's minds. I hope maybe the original posters can report back on this thread and let us know how they've been tho? That would be a surefire way to reassure the newer crown experiencing this that you didn't infact die or something ominous lol.. dark comment but you get my drift. I'm hoping everyone here stays healthy and that we all may be over reacting to something on samsungs end and not our body. Thanks for reading and please post your updates plz n ty! 

0 Likes
VikingAle
Pioneer
Options

Hello Abeyta55!

Sounds like it could just be the watch, or the fitment relative to your wrist that is moved when asleep enough to alter the reading temporarily?

As I have severe Sleep Apnoea, I wear a Viatom CheckMe O2 unit, which is an Oximeter that logs both pulse, blood oxygen and movement, every 4 seconds or so, all night. So I can see what really went on, and then cross check that with my CPAP Machine's Data.

That said, both the SAMSUNG Watch and the Viatom are both optical based when doing this, which is only accurate on the pulse side if the heart is in a good stable rate and rhythm.

Since the start of 2022, I have been having serious issues with Atrial Fibrillation, and can say the SAMSUNG Watch Active2 has been invaluable because of the ECG Feature. That is electrical not optical, and provides the same waveform as an ECG Lead I, so wrist to wrist (the watch is on one wrist, and you use the finger on the other hand to make that wrist to wrist circuit).

That is way more accurate, and can actually count the ECG QRS Complex (the beats in effect) so is a reliable measure of heart rate.

When in AFib at say 136 bpm, all of the optical devices are miles out, and all take a wild guess based on what to those sensors see as being a parcel of random beats, which they measure on the fly, so can be anything from 62 bpm to 138 bpm, and anything in between!

The ECG measures for 30 seconds, so the bpm is based on the QRS Complex count for 30 seconds, and so is a 100% accurate in any 30 seconds of testing. You can look at the ECG Chart and count them if you wish. Each line is 10 seconds, so you can work out bpm on a line by line basis by multiplying each line count by 6, or count all three 10 second lines and multiply by 2.

Without the ECG Feature, the watch may say 85 bpm, which may look OK, if a little fast. But run the ECG and I can see the true rate may be 132 bpm, and also in AFib, so very, very useful indeed.

I hope this helps.

VikingAle

0 Likes
Abeyta55
First Poster
Options

So you're saying you believe it may be just my watch? Judging by my pics I sent? And to try using the ecg feature to check what that says?

0 Likes
Abeyta55
First Poster
Options

So maybe the watch shifts and the optical reader can't read for a certain amount of time and then when it starts tracking again it uses an average bpm to cover up the gap in non read time? Assuming it was zero cuz no bpm were being tracked and Gave me an average of 30bpm as a possible outcome?

0 Likes
VikingAle
Pioneer
Options

Yes, as I say, all optical devices take a snap shot, so it's only as accurate as the sensor is clean, or how well the watch is fitted, and so on. Usually good enough for general data.

But if in any doubt at the time, run the ECG. That will take 30 seconds, but does give you a running bpm as it measures, and shows you the wave form.

If it's about what you expect, no need to complete the 30 seconds. A quick look at the running bpm as it tests may be enough.

Or let it run the full 30 seconds and then examine the Report.

When my SAMSUNG S10 tells me it has the ECG from the Watch, I then email that to my PC as a PDF, and then enlarge that on a bigger screen to have a good look.

But for a quick bpm check, the test should be fine to tell you what your bpm was over that 30 seconds, and it is very accurate. It's electrical not optical, and counts the actual beats from the waveform.

HTH

VikingAle

0 Likes
Abeyta55
First Poster
Options

Thanks for the replys btw! And my only issue with trying to test with the ecg is that it Only has happened while I've been sleeping lol. So I wake up in the am and see it happened so I can't run the test as I'm not awake when it happens to me if that makes sense 

0 Likes