Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS Hiking does not fully work on Galaxy Watch 46mm

(Topic created on: 31-10-2019 09:27 AM)
VDRIVN
Explorer
Options

Hello all!

I'm trying to track my hiking activities with the Galaxy Watch 46mm but unfortunately the Altimeter and the Hiking Activity in S-health are both very innacurate. 

There is a 100 - sometimes 250-300 meter altitude difference between S-health hiking activity tracker and the alti-baro widget.  And both altitude readings are always 100-200 meters - up to 500 meters less than the ACTUAL altitude measured with the phone's GPS (galaxy s10+) and by reading altitude markings along the trail. 

Also, when tracking altitude via the Hiking Activity in S-health on the watch, the altitude gets stuck at one point and remains stuck for random distances, displaying a flat line in the reports instead of the actual tracked altitude. 

I've visited the Samsung Care center and they replaced the watch's motherboard two times (first time it was for another issue), and the altitude issue still persists. 

I've tried a combination of factors - wearing short sleeves as not to affect pressure sensor, measuring the altitude with the watch off my wrist, etc. 

Although the watch gets a GPS fix at the begining of the hike - it does not keep it or update it properly - and the watch displays the wrong altitude. 

I've attached screenshots. 

Is this a design flaw of either hardware or software with the Galaxy Watch? 

Is anyone else hiking with the watch and can share similar, or positive experiences? 

Screenshot_20190901-182619_Samsung Health.jpgScreenshot_20190901-182632_Samsung Health.jpgScreenshot_20190903-131414_Samsung Health.jpg20190831_120351.jpg20190831_120356.jpgThanks!

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3
VDRIVN
Explorer
Options
Update. I've since returned my Galaxy watch.
The answer I got from Samsung Care Center is that the information displayed by the Galaxy Watch is only "informative" and it doesn't live up to its advertised "sports" capabilities. Really disappointed.
0 Likes
fbrg
Journeyman
Options

I have the same issue, some months ago everything worked fine, it was tracking altitude correctly while hiking. Now, after having the watch replaced for barometer sensor failure, it's happening the same thing you said: altitude is random and get stuck for minutes or hours. What looks quite strange is that at the same time, "altimeter" app continues working really good... not the samsung health app...

VDRIVN
Explorer
Options

@fbrg Sorry to see you're having the same issues as me. 

I've since abandoned the samsung watch ecosystem and moved onto Garmin (fenix 6x pro)- and I couldn't be happier. It's a watch that fulfills all my outdoor needs, be it hiking, skiing, running, cycling, etc. It's a far superior device for my needs. 

0 Likes