Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Google Map notification sent to watch whilst driving

(Topic created on: 20-11-2021 06:41 AM)
OneDave
Student
Options

Hoping someone could help with this as its very annoying. Started Google maps on my phone to navigate like I always do whilst driving. However every single new notification for distance or turns which appeared on my phone was also sent to my watch.

Now I can understand this is a great feature if you are walking / hiking / cycling as its easier to look at your watch than keep getting your phone out. Not so much when you are driving, as my watch was constantly buzzing for new navigations - the screen would suddenly light up with the new direction (turn left etc.). Very very distracting.

I pulled over to try and fix this, as its very distracting.
Things I have already tried on the watch / wearos app:
In notifications, Google maps was already disabled.
Turned phone to silent - that didn't work (watch still buzzed)
Turned Battery saving mode on - that didn't work, both directions and buzzing continued.
Turned off system notifications - that didn't work either.

The only thing left is probably to disable Bluetooth completely - but this kinda defeats the object of having a smart watch.

4 REPLIES 4
Solution
GusB
Big Cheese
Options
Yep - on the watch, launch maps > click the search icon > scroll down to settings > auto launch > turn driving off Screenshot_20210913_164626_maps_29657.png
OneDave
Student
Options

Genius! thank you so much.
Never occurred to me to check the map app on the watch

GusB
Big Cheese
Options
You're welcome. Exactly what these forums are for. Can mark the comment as resolved to help others if you want.
TravelMonkey
First Poster
Options

Insanely simple and helpful. I had zero expectation of finding an answer to this very specific question. Thank you