Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Assistant on Watch4, will it ever happen?

(Topic created on: 11-10-2021 08:48 PM)
JonnyPC
Journeyman
Options

So there are plenty of comments / reports / rumours online about Google Assistant potentially coming to the Galaxy Watch 4 but I can't seem to find an official line.

It's clear that the watch has the ability to change the default digital assistant but there are no alternative assistants available at this time.
Personally I can't stand Bixby, I've tried to use it on the S10, the S21, Galaxy Watch, Galaxy Watch 2 and Galaxy Watch 4 but I just can't bring myself to like it, it's just way to limited.
Will Google Assistant (or even Alexa) ever be available?
6 REPLIES 6
Potshot2k4
Pathfinder
Options
You can install it yourself, watch the following video. It's about 10-15 minutes to set it up. I've got mine working fine. You need to pay the developer about £5 for access to the app install and do a few things, but the video here summarises it pretty well https://youtu.be/htWdVv4rg2g20211012_144856_1035.jpg20211012_112648_721.jpg
bs87racer
First Poster
Options

This is NOT the official Google Assistant app and is sketchy at best. This is a developer that has built their own app and cobbled together a GA clone using the Google APIs. Would not recommend installing the app.

Potshot2k4
Pathfinder
Options
Agree its not official, although there's quite a few unofficial apps out there at the moment that are used on wear os, due to a lack of official apps for some of the stuff we take for granted on our phones. For me it works great, I can turn my lights on when I'm coming thru the door, set up maps to start a journey amongst other things. Appreciate some may not wish to do something not officially endorsed. You could create your own app and take advantage of the assistant api thru Google instead of this approach if it made you feel comfortable, and you have a bit more developer knowledge. Hopefully we get an official version soon so we don't have to consider workarounds
0 Likes
zawaprz
Journeyman
Options

I have installed Alexa Ultimate.. a 3rd party app, paid like $1.99.. it works for turning on lights, etc, whatever Alexa's app has to.. Sadly Samsung's Things would not support my Costco's Feit Electric bulbs... anyhow.. I'm using it (Alexa Ultimate) only for lights... as Alexa's (even original) cannot match Google Assistant's versatility. Also occasionally I do use Alexa for adding to shopping list items - a very convenient feature.. Mostly I use Alexa (aside with Google Assistant) for the reason we have subscription to Amazon's HD music service. Clearly, it is a TECHNOLOGICAL WAR.. Samsung hoping via watch to popularize their slappy at best Bixby.. To bad.. but they are not the only one doing that... it is 21st Century and that what happens (that is giants vs giants) across the board with other apps - namely lock of backward compatibility... 

zawaprz
Journeyman
Options

I believe all those 'apps' are being removed from store. Yes, at early stages there were available.. Like a week ago or so I have tried at least two given among internet people, non worked simply because there were removed by Google - Samsung web stores... 

0 Likes
zawaprz
Journeyman
Options

Finally, I agree.. I don't have much trust into '3rd party' apps.. Lot's of them are from China, where if anybody not have noticed it yet, US is 'on war'.... they often indeed spy people... so it's huuge simplification stating 'it's working for me'.. just pay attention to your banking account so you won't open it one day hugly being surprised..yes.. I'm to degree at the same boat... people simply are naive... 

0 Likes