Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GearS3 S-Health Walking Bug...

(Topic created on: 15-03-2017 02:19 PM)
FunkyMagicUK
Journeyman
Options

Accidentally started a "walk" exercise when meant to run, and noticed watch was seemingly showing short distance, as did S Health on phone after sync, BUT the onward Sync to Strava and Runkeeper both recorded the accurate distance (I'd ran in a group).

just re tested by walking a known 400m distance, measuring with a walking exercise one direction and as a running exercise on the return (on watch S Health, in standalone mode with GPS).

The run activity was perfect, correct data on watch, on phone S Health, and on Strava/Runkeeper.

The walk exercise however, seemed to be reporting about 10% short on the watch. After sync, S Health on phone is actually showing as a completely different 800m! (Looking back at the activity log on watch, this now also shows 800m...definitely NOT what was displayed on the watch). The syncs to Runkeeper&Strava both show the correct distance.

So...conclusion is that the WALK activity on SHealth on the watch uses some flawed distance measurement, and SHealth on the phone interprets the recorded data differently.

RUN activity works. So should be something easy to test and prove? AND FIX?

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3
TracyR
Options

Hi @FunkyMagicUK!

Within the S-Health settings there is an option to allow data to be captured through the watch, phone or both.

If the option for 'Both' is selected it will double the distance that has been covered.

S-Health > Steps > More (Three Dots) > Source Data from. :womanhappy:

Say "hello!" and

Introduce Yourself, or virtually hangout in the Samsung Lounge

0 Likes
FunkyMagicUK
Journeyman
Options

No.

I already have that set to display JUST from S3 in the step count.

I am talking about the measurement of an actual GPS tracked walking activity.

Selecting WALK as the activity type in S Health on the watch gives a different (SHORT) distance by roughly 10% compared to selecting RUN and walking the same measured distance.

Has anyone ran a few laps of a track whilst in WALK or RUN mode? That would demonstrate the error.

0 Likes
kagome05
Student
Options

It's not only the Samsung watch, it's an issue for all Samsung devices. I've got a Samsung Galaxy S20, my sister's got a Samsung Galaxy S21, and a friend has a Samsung S10 and Samsung watch. We all are running and use a running app, and we all have noticed that GPS is not working properly on all our Samsungs. I had a Sony before and the GPS accuracy was very high it was showing my running path when i was overtaking people or parked cars, whilst Samsung GPS is showing me crossing the river, walking through the buildings so GPS is faulty in all Samsung products

0 Likes