Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Gears S3 SM-R760 GPS not working

(Topic created on: 03-01-2017 02:40 PM)
Kurkoko
First Poster
Options

I installed all samsung apps, updated.

Got my Gear S3 and I am only able to make work GPS 1 time, every time I perform a Factory reset and repair again.

All permissions a granted to Samgung Gear, Gear S plugin and Samsung service.

Tried, Yelp and HEREWego, even shealth to track a test.

On Gear S3 location is set to on (GPA+Wireless).

Sometime I see Gear S plugin running and locate me.

I find strange I need my smartphone to locate me, and even this rarely works.

Is frustrating.....

Android 6.0.1 Xiaomi Mi5

0 Likes
63 REPLIES 63
CraigE
Journeyman
Options

I'll try posting this again, as it is either being deleted or dropping off.

It looks like this common is becoming more common, with complaints on other sites and Samsung Communities.

Let's hope Samsung finally acknowledged this issue and rectify it.

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Wearable-Tech/Gear-S3-Frontier-GPS-Glonass-functions/td-p/51675

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Wearable-Tech/Gear-S3-GPS-not-tracking-my-acitivities/td-p/50988

https://youtu.be/CxcR2FuWdro

https://youtu.be/bivRNprbkcY

0 Likes
CraigE
Journeyman
Options
Why are my posts and updates being deleted?
JessL
Voyager
Options

Which posts are being deleted, Craig? 

We are unable to see any deleted posts, if we were to edit any content you would be informed via private message.

0 Likes
CraigE
Journeyman
Options

I have replied to you PM on this, including screen shots of the posts that are no longer here. Can you please explain?

0 Likes
JessL
Voyager
Options

That's strange, Craig.

We're unable to see your PM, if you click on my name (JessL) you will be taken to my profile. In the top right you will see an option to 'Send a Message' click this and you can PM me more information on the issue including your details so that we can escalate this for you. 

We'll await your message! 

0 Likes
ktulu73
Student
Options

Hi all,

I run into the same issue, I bought a gear s3 frontier on Thursday and the watch doesn't get location when paired with xiaomi mi5 with latest global stable rom (Android 6.0.1).

But if pair with a Huawei P9lite (also on 6.0.1) location on watch is working as expected.

So far all other functions are working on my MI5 , this seems only have impact to the location service on the gear.

Regards

0 Likes
ktulu73
Student
Options

I have installed lineageOS (cyanogenmod successor) on MI5 and now GPS is working on gear s3 when paired to my MI5 too.

So this issue seems indeed related to the Xiaomi modifications on their ROM.

0 Likes
JurekDJ
First Poster
Options

I have the same issue. GPS doesn't work properly and doesn't map my activities correctly (starts later and stops in the middle of my run). It's just the position tracking that stops to work though. It continues to measure time, distance, heartrate, etc. Really weird.

What is even more weird and frustrating, Samsung doesn't seem to care and even find a minute to give some response. Such a shame! Has such issue became minor for Samsung after betteries exploding in Samsung Notes? Will Samsung start to care only if the gear starts to explode? Really frustrating.

cDroqC4aG
First Poster
Options
Samsung Gear S3 works fine, The S-Health app also works fine. The only thing is the working concept is not clearly understood by some people and not well explained by Samsung itself. If your Samsung Gear S3 has problem tracking your location or distance during cycling or walking activities, here how to solve that:

Condition 1: Your Gear S3 is paired to Phone vie Bluetooth.
In this situation your Gear S3 will rely the location information from your phone.
You do not have to change any setting in your gear S3 ( Bluetooth still on, Wireless on, Location mode GPS & wireless, autopause on) Make sure your phone Location setting is set to "On" and at "highest accuracy" mode. It means enable all GPS, WiFi and wireless networks for location searching from your phone.
Make sure your phone is not in "Power Saving" mode, because it limits the location tracking ability from your phone.
In this way your gear S3 can track your location, map your distance, and generate the route correctly.
Even autopause works correctly and precisely.
Any location tracking faulty in this situation is mostly your phone location tracking faulty.
(You can test your phone tracking problem by running with your phone and S-Health app installed on it separately from your Gear S3)

Condition 2: Your Gear S3 is disconnected from the phone (stand alone)
In case you are not sure your phone can track location correctly in certain condition or you want to save your phone battery, disconnect your Gear from the phone. (Bluetooth Off, Wirelss Off, Location On- GPS & wireless / GPS only, or just simply press flight mode)
In stand alone mode, your Gear S3 will rely on its own GPS.
In this way your gear S3 can track your location, map your distance, and generate the route correctly (without detailed maps).
Even autopause works correctly and precisely.
The cycling and walking data will be synced to your phone after it is connected again.

Before starting your activity, make sure Gear's GPS has found your location. At the first time you are using "standalone" mode, Gear may need some time (around 1-3 minutes) for GPS to locate your position. The small location (balloon) icon is blinking when searching and turns solid when it has found your location. Once is done, next time you use standalone GPS mode, it will locate you quickly.
At the first time you are using "standalone" mode after switching from phone connected mode, it's a good practice to restart your watch especially if it takes too long to find your location at first.

I hope this helps. I have tested it consistently on my Gear S3 Frontier, and my phone is Samsung Galaxy S6.