Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gear Sport Not Waterproof?

(Topic created on: 20-06-2021 07:43 PM)
Ash4
Student
Options

I have had my Samsung Gear Sport for 3 months now for no issue, I wear it in the shower and when swimming. The only time I take it off is to charge it. But last night I wore it into the pool, and then I went to check the time, but the watch was turned off. I didn't think much of it, and just held the power button to turn it back on. The booting screen came on, but then nothing happened. I thought maybe it was dead, so I put it on the charger overnight. That didn't help, but I noticed a small pool of water around the hr monitor. I wiped it off and put it back on the charger. Then 15 minutes later, I noticed more water in the same place. I think what happened is, water managed to get into the watch through the seems around the hr monitor. Anything I can do?

9 REPLIES 9
Ash4
Student
Options

15194032108561196428261.jpg

Update: I noticed you can see little water beads through the clear part of the hr monitor.

0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Its water resistant but no water proof im.afraid so there can be the danger of water ingression which may not be covered under the manufacturing warranty.

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes
V_J
Pioneer
Options

It surprises me a bit...

The official specs on http://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/gear-s3/performance/  say

-

Resistant to water and dust

Wear the Gear S3 out in all kinds of weather, to all kinds of places. It's rated IP68 so it's able to withstand dust and dirt and being up to 1.5 meters or for up to 30 minutes underwater.

*Not suitable for swimming or diving.

-

IP68 should mean it can operate in water within some manufacturer defined limits: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code#Second_digit:_Liquid_ingress_protection

Many reviews (but ok, that is the fault of the reviewers) specifically mention waterproof.

I think the key thing in the specs is (from wikipedia) "The ratings for water ingress are not cumulative beyond IPX6. A device which is compliant with IPX7, covering immersion in water, need not be compliant with IPX5 or IPX6, covering exposure to water jets.".

Up to IPX6, the test concerns water jets, IPX7 tests immersion, but this is at a lower pressure than IPX6. I'm guessing that is why they don't recommend swimming with the watch: movement of the arm may cause a greater water pressure than the one that is tested for to meet IPX7.

0 Likes
gayan_sandamal
First Poster
Options

I'm having the same issue here. I've had my watch for 9months now with no issues but after I wore it into the swimming pool.

LM318
First Poster
Options

Same here. I wore it to the beach. Not necessarily swimming and the screen is black. The watch connects and disconnects from my phone so it works to some extent.  It's been about 12 hours of black screen 

0 Likes
SmirkyHaze
First Poster
Options
I think people are mistakening the S3 for the Gear Sport. The Gear Sport is waterproof. I use it to go swimming in the pool all the time. But... The beach water is a different story. For some reason, the salt water is different. Mine stopped working when I went boarding. Mainly paddling out. I stay in a pool longer than I do in beach water. Try the "rice in a sandwich bag" method, over night or a couple of days. Also, avoid charging it If you think it still has water or moisture inside. 

I desperately need my watch all the time. Especially for running because of the Spotify capability to download.

Good luck!
0 Likes
SoGroovy
First Poster
Options
Nope, wore my my gear sport in a swimming pool and its stuck in a reboot loop
muo
First Poster
Options
Did it ever get fixed? Having the same issue myself.
0 Likes
Gear sport
First Poster
Options

Same, have had mine for 3 years no issues in pools, shower, and beach yesterday I went in pool and same thing. Rebooting loop...I don't see any water though but I'll try rice trick tonight and see how that goes. 

0 Likes