Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gear Sport Not Tracking Heart Rate When Exercising

(Topic created on: 12-02-2019 09:10 PM)
Stevevdb3000
First Poster
Options

Hi, is anyone else having this issue with their gear sport or gear S3?

I have had 3 gear S3's and now changed it to a gear sport and am still getting the same issue. 

When I first went out cycling with the gear sport yesterday, it tracked my HR just fine when displayed in the shealth app but since then it is just showing it go up and then a straight line which is obviously wrong. I think its a software issue. The gear S2 does it fine.

See graph 1st use and then whats happened since - before and after:1st use cycling1st use cycling

2nd use and onwards use2nd use and onwards use

490 REPLIES 490
Mburleso
First Poster
Options

I am having the same issues with my galaxy watch. It way undercounts my steps and calories. The heart rate monitor works sometimes and other times, I get a message to dry off the sensor. Well I cannot stay dry while working out. That's what happens when you work out. .. You sweat. I'm very disappointed in this product . 

0 Likes
Mburleso
First Poster
Options

The sleep monitor is poor on this device. I'm reading that I only deeply sleep for 1 to 1 1/2 hours and my REM registers bw 30  and 90 min for an entire night. 

0 Likes
Emp123
First Poster
Options

So this topic has been open for about a year and the issue still hasnt been resolved, makes me wonder if they'll ever get around to it...

I have a Gear Sport running T4.0.0.2 and the heart rate montior works intermittenly throughout the day. Definitely not every 10 minutes like its set to, but usually at least once an hour.

Went to the gym, watch correctly detected I was exercising...and then proceeded to not check my heart rate at all.

What? Didnt realize that setting the watch to every 10 minutes while still meant never checking your heart rate while exercising. Whats the point of a fitness oriented smart watch that cant handle basic fitness tracking?

0 Likes
MissFire
First Poster
Options

This is a really bad problem, the watch just doesn't measure the heartrate properly during an exercise. I just tried using Samsung Galaxy Watch and my previous fitness tracker, Polar V800, simultaneously for the same exercise. The difference is beyond belief... in the total calories the difference was Samsung Galaxy Watch showing 35% less burn calories.

I am seriously thinking about returning this watch; what a disappointment!

0 Likes
pavlis
Pioneer
Options

I'm in the process of returning my Samsung Galaxy Watch 4G. What an expensive Smart Watch with a **totally broken** HR feature!

The irony of this is that Samsung S Health app shows people exercising in a gym all wearing the watch. What are they tracking? Can't be steps or HR as they're both broken (HR more so). 

I feel sorry for people who will buy soon to be released Gear Watch: if Samsung hasn't fixed HR in two iterations of their watch (2+ years), what hope do they hope for *ever* fixing it? 

I've even offered on this and US forums to do software testing for free as I like the watch ..  All I got was silence. 

daath
Explorer
Options

They sold you a watch. They could not care less about you after that. It's annoying as hell. It really is a pity, because it IS a nice looking watch with a decent battery life. Right now it's not worth ANYTHING as a fitness watch.

III
First Poster
Options

I'm in the states and experiencing this issue with my Gear Sport.  Even on the new Tizen 4.0.0.2

JonTW
First Poster
Options

Try changing the heart rate setting to continuous.

0 Likes
JonTW
First Poster
Options

@Emp123 wrote:

I have a Gear Sport running T4.0.0.2 and the heart rate montior works intermittenly throughout the day. Definitely not every 10 minutes like its set to, but usually at least once an hour.

Went to the gym, watch correctly detected I was exercising...and then proceeded to not check my heart rate at all.

What? Didnt realize that setting the watch to every 10 minutes while still meant never checking your heart rate while exercising. Whats the point of a fitness oriented smart watch that cant handle basic fitness tracking?

Try changing the heart rate settings to continuous.

0 Likes
pavlis
Pioneer
Options

Just letting the community know that after much effort, Samsung has approved a full refund for may Samsung Galaxy Watch 4G after a six month struggle! People following the saga would've noticed that HR function on current AND previous generation watches is *totally broken* and that it doesn't work as advertised (I.e. A fitness device) .

I've proven to Samsung Australia this beyond reasonable doubt and they still refused to acknowledge the problem. I'm disgusted by Samsung ignorance. They'll never learn, unless the problem explodes into their face (pun intended).

Good riddance Samsung, you've lost me as a *loyal* customer. Once my contract with Samsung S8+ is finished, I'll get rid of my last Samsung device. My family is now very happy with their new Sony and Google phones.

I'm taking the time to write all this as I don't want people to go through agonising effort to have the issue resolved: it can't be fixed and it never will be!!! Samsung just wants your money and then provides zero after sales support for "difficult issues" aka *defects*. 

If you need a fitness device (like me), do not buy a Samsung product! I've bought a Fitbit charge 3 for a fraction of the Samsung watch cost and everything works 100%. Yes, that includes the HR Monitor that hasn't missed a beat. Step counting is now accurate too, not to mention sleep tracking and floor counting. It's truly a great *fitness* device! 

0 Likes