Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gear Sport Not Tracking Heart Rate When Exercising

(Topic created on: 16-09-2018 01:22 PM)
Stevevdb3000
First Poster
Options

Hi, is anyone else having this issue with their gear sport or gear S3?

I have had 3 gear S3's and now changed it to a gear sport and am still getting the same issue. 

When I first went out cycling with the gear sport yesterday, it tracked my HR just fine when displayed in the shealth app but since then it is just showing it go up and then a straight line which is obviously wrong. I think its a software issue. The gear S2 does it fine.

See graph 1st use and then whats happened since - before and after:1st use cycling1st use cycling

2nd use and onwards use2nd use and onwards use

490 REPLIES 490
sefuller
Apprentice
Options

I have been experiencing the same issue on my Gear S3 starting in April this year.  Prior to April 26th, the heart rate monitor always tracked my workouts reliably, after April 26th, it starts out tracking then almost immediately flatlines.  I have made numerous calls to my provider's tech support, but obviously it is a well documented software issue on Samsung's end.  After reading these and other forums I was shocked to find that this is hardly an isolated incident and has been widely reported for many months!  The sole reason I bought the Gear S3 was for fitness tracking, and it's now been rendered useless for that purpose.  I sincerely regret the purchase and am disappointed at such blatant lack of customer service.  It's almost hilarious to read the entire threads and count how many times over nine months the moderators have promised to run this back to the developers.  It must be a perplexing issue indeed for the team of developers to not have solved it in nine months time!  It is a very clear statement of just how much Samsung values it's customers.  I am past the warranty period, but if Samsung doesn't want to correct this it would be nice to get a class action started somehow.  This was not an inexpensive experiment, and there were several other options that in hindsight would have been far better choices.

Screenshot_20180916-070253.jpgScreenshot_20180916-070315.jpg

Ricky2
Voyager
Options

Thanks for your input sefuller!

The more people that complain about this the higher chance of a fix.

I agree with each and every one of your points.

We could do with making this issue more public than it is. Hopefully, as the users of the galaxy watch are also experiencing this, it may push them to actually implement a fix.

Roypolo
First Poster
Options

New Watch totally looses heartrate when running. its omes in and out intermittently and therefore makes the Watch useless foractive sports.

TimtheTechGeek
Journeyman
Options

I have a workaround for you until Samsung gets their act together.

Like others my HRM cuts out between 3 and 4 minutes when using Samsung Health on my S3. So I started using UA Record instead. It had a recent update so if you tried it before and it didn't work try it again. It works much better and has far more options. It connects directly to Samsung Health on the phone app. Just make sure you turn off all activity detection and the HRM. (Set to Never). Watch strap should be comfortable with slight movement allowed.

Look at these screenshots. There may have been a glitch in the first one around the 20 minute mark but it recovered itself quickly. The other one had no glitch. Give it a try.

Screenshot_20180916-085036_Record.jpgScreenshot_20180916-085123_Record.jpg

Ricky2
Voyager
Options

Hi Timthetechgeek,

Thanks for that input. That yet again proves that the problem is with the software and not the hardware.

For me using the app 'gear tracker' works well as a workaround until Samsung get the Samsung Health app sorted out on the watch. The developer is also very active and listens to feedback.

TimtheTechGeek
Journeyman
Options

"That yet again proves that the problem is with the software and not the hardware."

Exactly. I saw your post before about using gear tracker, but I want direct link up to Samsung Health. The new dashboard in it is really useful and now that it syncs to the watch even more so. I don't think Record is perfect but it works far better. Good enough until Samsung gets this fixed. The fact that the Galaxy Watch has this issue might make them get this fixed faster. Fingers crossed.

Andrezao
Explorer
Options

I changed my gear sport for a FITNESS bracelet from huawei and I am very happy with the metrics and accuracy. In relation to samsung, never again. Regarding the app gear tracker I saw no difference when I tested, I mean that instead of not showing the heartbeats like S Health, it stays static in a heartbeat number for a while, so the problem is still there camouflaged. For me doesn't work. I am not sure if this is a SW problem. Sorry this is my opniun. 

I have an older Gear S,  and he have the same version sw as my GEAR SPORT  for S HEALTH , so why it works fine and GEAR SPORT  not. Well I changed to a fitness bracelet and now I am happy, unfortunately. 

0 Likes
Chupat
Journeyman
Options

It's unbeleiveable that Samsung can sell this garbage. I think they are afraid a bug getting public just before a new smartwatch is going to be released will damage their sales for that new watch. However I think the only language Samsung understand is money so I have started to tell the "truth" about this useless watch on every online shop review area as possible. If all of us do this, this will affect their sales volume and then, and only then, this will be a prioritized issue.

Ricky2
Voyager
Options

Hi chupat,

I completely agree, spread the word as much as possible whether that be through product reviews or social media. Samsung have got away with not resolving this for way too long!

0 Likes
Thzone
First Poster
Options

I'm just wondering if there are people without heart rate tracking issues.

0 Likes