Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gear Sport Not Tracking Heart Rate When Exercising

(Topic created on: 30-06-2018 01:39 PM)
Stevevdb3000
First Poster
Options

Hi, is anyone else having this issue with their gear sport or gear S3?

I have had 3 gear S3's and now changed it to a gear sport and am still getting the same issue. 

When I first went out cycling with the gear sport yesterday, it tracked my HR just fine when displayed in the shealth app but since then it is just showing it go up and then a straight line which is obviously wrong. I think its a software issue. The gear S2 does it fine.

See graph 1st use and then whats happened since - before and after:1st use cycling1st use cycling

2nd use and onwards use2nd use and onwards use

490 REPLIES 490
Ricky2
Voyager
Options

Thanks for providing that info Yolesnoobs,

I got the watch for Xmas so i can only look at the logs after January.

It's good to see it was OK before the update, gives us hope lol.

0 Likes
Theron
Journeyman
Options

ned7077 you are my hero, I have Polar H7 belt and this app is awesome that I can connect it to my fit2/s3! Amazing really.

ned7077
Explorer
Options

So I went for a mountain bike ride last night.

Screenshot_20180628-084333_Samsung Health.jpg

Settings I used, workout tracked with the native S-Health workout tracking on the Gear Sport

Cycling Autodetect: Off

Auto HR Settings: Always

Workout Type: Cycling

Target: Basic Workout

Auto Pause: Off

Started manually

This data looks much better, no flat lines, and I was working pretty hard.  This data also resembles what I would get last year on my Gear Fit2.  I would like to use the auto pause feature and turn off the HRM mode from always but so far this is the best result I have had, and by no means do I consider this issue resolved.  Just more data for Samsung to use to find a fix.

lilith14
Explorer
Options

Can more people try those settings, here is mine from yesterday. Now I had rebooted recently and one off good result can happen and it was a very slow and steddy ride due to the heat, but I got a good result.

Shealth(Cycling Autodetect: Off, Auto HR Settings: Always, Workout Type: Cycling, Target: Basic Workout, Auto Pause: Off, Location: On, Started manually)

Screenshot_20180629-094030.png

Only odd thing was the spike to 191bpm Chest HR doesn't have that.

Strava (HR Strap)

Screenshot_20180629-094108.png

Celiawheelia
Pathfinder
Options

This morning I decided to do my dog walk as an 'exercise' rather than auto detect. 

When I selected walk from the exercise menu the HR just showed 2 dashes,so I went to the HR widget and made sure it was reading,then went back to the exercise selection and the HR was showing number positive!! 

As you can see,I had a good HR reading throughout my walk. Screenshot_20180629-102017_Samsung Health.jpg

Screenshot_20180629-102032_Samsung Health.jpg

So as you can see from the second chart, I didn't lose any HR data separate from the exercise data too. 

Settings were 

Auto detect on

HR constant 

Auto pause on 

The Auto pause kicked in on numerous occasions, due to dog walking 'jobs' and hasn't seemed to affect the HR reading. 

Will go for a run tomorrow morning,too hot now, and report back. 

We'll see how it copes with more or less the same settings but a much higher heart rate, hopefully 

0 Likes
lilith14
Explorer
Options

Cycle this morning same setting as two days ago back to the usual line of little HR data.

Screenshot_20180630-133435.png

Celiawheelia
Pathfinder
Options

I had a much more successful outcome this morning on my run...... Screenshot_20180630-064516_Samsung Health.jpg

So I had it set as follows...

Auto detect on 

HR constant 

Auto Pause on (although I didn't stop 😁

I went to the exercise selection and chose running,at the top next to the location market the HR showed -- so I exited that and went to the HR widget and made sure it was reading as a beat by beat - ie some variety and said 'NOW' as below...... 20180630_072420.jpg

Then I went back into the exercise menu and selected running again and once the location had detected I also had a heart rate figure instead of 2 dashes, as below.....20180630_134352.jpg

Obviously i recreated the process once I knew it had been successful! 

Will keep on like this for now,using s.health, as it's very annoying having to remember to turn auto detect for walking and running on and off all the time. 

Hope this helps

Ricky2
Voyager
Options
Thanks for that Celiawheelia. I'll give it a try next time I am out running / biking :smiling-face:

Samsung, this doesnt excuse the fact that it should just work though!
0 Likes
BBred
Journeyman
Options

Hi 

0 Likes
Celiawheelia
Pathfinder
Options

BBred I have left my auto pause on and when i did a walk this week it activated on numerous occasions as I was walking the dogs. 

I had no interruptions on my HR for that, if you see from my earlier post from Friday. 

For me, if you make sure the HR is picking up before you start the exercise, As per my post yesterday, it seems to work, so far. 

Ricky, I agree, we shouldn't have to faff about like this. However,it's a pretty agreeable process compared to what I used to have to do with my fitbit to ensure GPRS connection with my phone!