Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gear Sport Not Tracking Heart Rate When Exercising

(Topic created on: 19-06-2018 10:39 PM)
Stevevdb3000
First Poster
Options

Hi, is anyone else having this issue with their gear sport or gear S3?

I have had 3 gear S3's and now changed it to a gear sport and am still getting the same issue. 

When I first went out cycling with the gear sport yesterday, it tracked my HR just fine when displayed in the shealth app but since then it is just showing it go up and then a straight line which is obviously wrong. I think its a software issue. The gear S2 does it fine.

See graph 1st use and then whats happened since - before and after:1st use cycling1st use cycling

2nd use and onwards use2nd use and onwards use

490 REPLIES 490
Ricky2
Voyager
Options

Hi Theron,

Thanks for your post.

The issue we are reporting in this thread is that the heart rate monitoring stops when recording a workout.

We have discuss before that the issue is not with the 'always on' HR recording. If heart rate monitoring is set to 'always' the watch will take a reading every so many seconds or minutes. If the HR recording is set to 'Frequent' the device will take a reading every ten minutes only when you are still.

As per one of my previous messages having the heart rate set to 'always' and then recording a workout does not fix the heart rate monitor stopping mid workout.

So in short.

There is no problem with continuous heart rate monitoring when NOT recording a workout.

Also, the problem is not with a 'auto detect' type of workout.

The problem is visible when you manually record a workout. The heart rate records and then suddenly stops for vast amounts of time. This is visible afterwards when the workout is viewed and you can see flat lines where no heart rate reading is taken. This problem does not occur if a third party app is used to record the workout.

Regarding the update, I too have received it but there is no change.

On another note, yeah the Garmin's do seem to have better workout recording. At the moment I would prioritise that over the smart features anyway.

Ricky2
Voyager
Options

Celiawheelia,

You are correct.

The 'always' setting is meant to record constantly throughout the day.

The 'frequent' setting only records every ten minutes if you are still.

Mods,

Please can we have a response from the devs!

Theron
Journeyman
Options

Hi Ricky,

sure I know what the issue is, I just want to show as many details as possible, it may help the debugging process.

So to sum it up, after the update the hr doesnt seem to skip during manually induced workout.

Today I am going to run, I will update you after that :smiling-face:

ned7077
Explorer
Options

I did 3 workouts this weekend, 2 bike rides and tennis (I use the elliptical workout for that).  It appears the elliptical gave plausible results.  The bike rides definitely are flatlining at certain times.

The road bike ride I turned off auto pause(It didn't help).  I have also tried to set HR to Always on before starting an activity(It produces the same results).

Elliptical workout, tennisElliptical workout, tennisMountain biking, auto pauseMountain biking, auto pauseRoad biking, no auto pauseRoad biking, no auto pause

Ricky2
Voyager
Options

Taken from another thread (heart rate monitor issues with gear fit 2 pro), this user (bob89) has the same problem. They are from the US and have the gear fit 2 pro.

'I have the same problem with mine that I bought last April. The heart rate freezes during workouts. I'm from East coast of Canada so it is not just a problem from just US and UK.'

Samsung can we please get an update?

anarita-ribeiro
Journeyman
Options

Some problem here with gear fit 2 pro from Portugal

Original thread:

Heart rate monitor issues with Gear fit 2 pro

" I've been experiencing some issues with my gear fit 2 pro heart rate during exercices, especially inconsistency in heart rate monitor during "other workout". With gear fit 2 I had no problems, but since I upgraded, I haven't had a clear reading and I've been using my gear fit 2 pro for more than a month now.

For exemple (using Samsung health app), with gear fit 2 I would get peaks of 200 or more during exercice and now the peak I get is around 180. Also, during workout, sometimes the band vibrates as if not able to measure heart rate.  I also get a flat line  at 180, for exemple, of two or more minutes in the workout graph which I think is should not happen.

When I use the UA record app to record my session, my heart rate graph has some grey zones (as if not able to measure heart rate) and I also feel  band vibrat on my wrist. Someone with the same issues?! "

under_armour_record.jpgsamsung_health.jpg

- The watch model number - SM-R365

- The phone you are using it with and model number. Samsung Galaxy 8 and now with Samsung galaxy 9+

- The watch software version - R365XXU2CRC7

- Phone software version: Android 8.0.0

- Gear app version  number (on phone) - 2.2.20.17113061

- Gear plugin  version number (on phone) - 2.2.04.18052351

Hope it helps

0 Likes
AntS
Options

@Ricky2 wrote:

Please can we have a response from the devs!

Hi Ricky2. We're still waiting for a reply back from the developers.

Ricky2
Voyager
Options

Hi AntS,

Please keep chasing for us. This has been going on far too long.

A bit more information as well. A week or so back I received an update for the gear sport.

New software version is R600XXU1ARE2.

Issue is still present. Tested multiple times since the update...no change.

DKBabs
Apprentice
Options

Hi all,

Bought a gear sport and took this out for my first bike ride yesterday and had the same problem. I had been thinking it was just a fault with my watch or a setting I hadn't configured correctly.

I was sitting in a meeting today and decided to see what would happen if I just let it run whilst stationary. Setting used was cycling, it did could not lock onto GPS as  I was indoors and for 20 minutes my heart rate was continuously monitored - Great!

Then came lunch, decided to go for a walk and it failed to record heart rate like yesterday whilst cycling. The setting I was using was the selected walk rather than letting it auto detect

Not sure if this helps but atleast it tells us that this is defintley a software bug rather than faulty devices!

Thanks,
Dale

*EDIT

Do we have timelines on this being fixed? I'm stuck between returning or keeping this watch. I have less than a month to decide!!

TheRugbyProp
Explorer
Options

Greetings all.

I got my Sport back from Samsun a few days ago, but it's taken a few days before I could test the HR readings during exercise. First a couple comments.

Previously I explained how my HR readings would go unrealistically  high, but return to normal after I did something like reselect the SHealth app. I think these could be different aspects of the same problem. In fact, looking at the past several posts, I noticed that just before the HR reading flatlined, the HR reading would rise quickly and then flatline to a non-reading. By forcing a reset, I may have kept it from flat-lining (no reading). However, if I wasn't watching the readings frequently, then the HR reading would stay in error until it stopped reading the HR.

Leading me to suspect the problem is in the algorithm used to caclulate HR. Somehow, it seems to get out-of-sync that first causes HR reading errors (usually high) until it gets so out of sync that it stops displaying HR. The higher HR seems to be more likely to introduce the problem.

My repaired watch had a new board replaced in it. But, it came with an older software version so I had to do an update first. I used in last night in the gym as an "other workout" and there were a few times when the HR was higher than it should. The first 20 minutes was OK while cycling and accurately read rates up to about 120 bpm (compared with cycle hand-grips).

My wife is having problems with the Fit2 Pro that I bought for her. It occassionally stop recording HR, as others have reported in this thread.

Still testing...