Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gear Sport Not Tracking Heart Rate When Exercising

(Topic created on: 23-05-2018 06:48 PM)
Stevevdb3000
First Poster
Options

Hi, is anyone else having this issue with their gear sport or gear S3?

I have had 3 gear S3's and now changed it to a gear sport and am still getting the same issue. 

When I first went out cycling with the gear sport yesterday, it tracked my HR just fine when displayed in the shealth app but since then it is just showing it go up and then a straight line which is obviously wrong. I think its a software issue. The gear S2 does it fine.

See graph 1st use and then whats happened since - before and after:1st use cycling1st use cycling

2nd use and onwards use2nd use and onwards use

490 REPLIES 490
AntS
Options

Hi guys. :robothappy:

Thanks for the info. We've escalated this to our software team, and we'll keep you posted on any updates we get from that.

If there any other folks experiencing this issue, please let us know in this thread.

Ricky2
Voyager
Options

Just for reference, I have the same problem when recording a walk. Heart rate data is not recording consistently.

So for me heart rate data is flaky regardless of which workout method is used.

Screenshot_20180523-134645_Samsung Health.jpg

Stevevdb30000
Pioneer
Options

My HR taken tonight when cycling. Should be wavey lines. No straight onesMy HR taken tonight when cycling. Should be wavey lines. No straight ones

yolesnoobs
Journeyman
Options

gear s3 has the same issue and it does not look like samsung cares. here is the thread: https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Wearable-Tech/Gear-s3-heart-rate-monitor-works-intermittently/td...

image.png

Ricky2
Voyager
Options

Hi Yolesnoobs,

Yes I am aware the issue is across multiple devices of different regions (I mentioned that in one of my posts).

That thread you linked is from the US.

I have managed to get Samsung to pass this issue to the software developers so we are hoping to hear back from that.

Be assured, if i do not hear back i will be taking this problem further.

Do you mind posting some information about the devices you are using?

- The watch model number

- The phone you are using it with and model number.

- The watch software version

- Phone software version:

- Gear app version  number (on phone)

- Gear plugin  version number (on phone)

Anyone else reading this... please post the above information here.

The more responses we get the more likely a fix.

Thanks.

yolesnoobs
Journeyman
Options

yeah, no problem, I'm pretty sure its a software issue, because heart rate monitor was much more stable when I bought the watch right after the release in late 2016.

btw "passing issue to software developers" seems like their way to tell customers to get lost :smiling-face:

I got the same response when I asked to improve GPS tracking during workouts and save coordinates every second (instead of current 5 seconds) and nothing was done. There are several threads on the forums/reddit regarding this problem as well.

- The watch model number: SM-R760

- The phone you are using it with and model number: Samsung Galaxy S8+

- The watch software version: tizen 3.0.0.2

- Phone software version: Android 8.0

- Gear app version  number (on phone): 2.2.20

- Gear plugin  version number (on phone): 2.2.3

Ricky2
Voyager
Options

Thanks Yolesnoobs.

I'm gonna keep on top of this thread.

It's a basic function of the watch that is not working. So I'll keep bothering them whether that be through here, phone or email.

Keep you updated!

AntS
Options

Hi all.

We've received a reply from our software team.

How HR monitoring works on the Gear:

The Gear calculates heart rate (HR) using blood volume change information by capturing emitted lights returning through your skin.

The accuracy of such optic-based HR measurement can be influenced by physical and physiological factors such as tightness of wearing; hairs; tattoo; level of muscle contraction; perfusion etc.

For more accurate HR measurement, we recommend the following procedure:

1. Keep the device fitted to your wrist. HR accuracy is improved by keeping the air-gap between the device and your wrist minimised.
  2. Select an exercise type.
  3. Wait until HR values are displayed on the screen before starting the exercise.

In addtion, improvements in algorithms and performance to deliver higher HR accuracy to our customers will be coming in further updates - so please do keep a lookout for these.

0 Likes
Ricky2
Voyager
Options

@AntS

I'll try again seen as though my response was marked as spam!

Oh wow, that is a poor and lazy response from the developers.

Yes i understand how the heart rate monitoring works...
A couple of points to note:

- For a lot of users who have reported this problem, it used to work in previous software versions and now it doesn't.
- A factory reset of the watch fixes it temporarily, then its back to normal again.

So... looking at your response.

'can be influenced by physical and physiological factors such as tightness of wearing; hairs; tattoo; level of muscle contraction; perfusion etc.'
I understand these factors influence the accuracy of the heart rate measurement however:

- It doesn't explain why you can take a manual heart rate reading any time throughout the day and it works fine. It's only when recording a workout that it fails.

'Keep the device fitted to your wrist.'

You're really reccomending that we do this?

Its a watch, its going to be on the wrist!

'Wait until HR values are displayed on the screen before starting the exercise.'

We do this already, if you'd look at the screenshots we have posted from the workouts you would see that the heart rate monitoring is working at the begining of the workout. It usually stops recording after the first auto pause (not always).

'improvements in algorithms and performance to deliver higher HR accuracy to our customers will be coming in further updates'

The accuaracy is not my concern, we just want the heart rate  monitoring to continue through an entire workout.

Try again and get a meaningul response from the developers.

0 Likes
Ricky2
Voyager
Options

Further to my last response I am now going to go out of my way to prove there is a problem with the Samsung Health app on the phone.

Many users have reported changing from the samsung health app to record a workout fixes the heart rate recording.

At my own expense, I have purchased the app 'Gear tracker' from Galaxy apps.

If this app records my heart rate consistently through the entire workout on multiple occasions, that will prove that there is an issue with the Samsung Health app.

Can't believe I'm having to do the work for Samsung because there development team is too lazy to look into the problem.

The generic response which has been provided will not be accepted!