Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gear Sport Not Tracking Heart Rate When Exercising

(Topic created on: 31-05-2020 08:27 AM)
Stevevdb3000
First Poster
Options

Hi, is anyone else having this issue with their gear sport or gear S3?

I have had 3 gear S3's and now changed it to a gear sport and am still getting the same issue. 

When I first went out cycling with the gear sport yesterday, it tracked my HR just fine when displayed in the shealth app but since then it is just showing it go up and then a straight line which is obviously wrong. I think its a software issue. The gear S2 does it fine.

See graph 1st use and then whats happened since - before and after:1st use cycling1st use cycling

2nd use and onwards use2nd use and onwards use

490 REPLIES 490
MattBJK
First Poster
Options

I to now look to be having trouble with my Gear Sport no longer recording heart rate, however I think I have narrowed it down a combination of GPS tracking & Heart rate = FAIL
If I do stationary exercise, like a Spin Class (using the Exercise Bike mode) it will record heart rate, but when I'm cycling on the road, the GPS will record distance, but the heart rate fails after 1 or 2 minutes.
Gear Sport, Tizen Version 4.0.0.4, Software Version R600XXU1CSI1

I have performed a reset as previous responses have suggested
Screenshot_20200108-080052.png

On the road with GPS enabled

Screenshot_20200108-081055.png

Test Exercise Bike setting

Any suggestions?

UPDATE: Looks like my theory was incorrect

Screenshot_20200109-093634.png

I used the "Exercise Bike" activity when I went for a ride.  Different Broken

Here is some more testing....  

Walking around the blockWalking around the block

Riding around the blockRiding around the block

0 Likes
Ezza23
First Poster
Options

I've tried a couple of things since, I disabled all the Samsung Health widgets from the watch and tried a couple of walks at lunchtime and this seemed to track HR properly.

However been out for a bike ride this lunchtime and still tracks as a straightline 😞

I'll have a go on the turbo trainer and see what happens

Cheers

0 Likes
Pineyk
First Poster
Options

My Samsung Galaxy watch measures fine if my wrist is totally stationary with my hand on the table

If I just just move only my little finger on that hand, the heartbeat graph goes haywire. Not just inaccurate but totally unusable for sport 

0 Likes
21mattattack
First Poster
Options

Have you had any luck with this?

I have a similar problem where if i use cycling when i mtb my heart rate is broken up but if i put it in running it's fine.

I have had watch for 12 months and it's only the last couple of months. Prior to this it never missed a beat.Screenshot_20200530-133340_Samsung Health.jpg

Screenshot_20200530-133327_Samsung Health.jpg

0 Likes
Ezza23
First Poster
Options

Hi there, no dice I'm afraid the watch had a software upgrade the other day which I had hoped would resolve the issue but a quick test ride disproved that. I suspect the HR tracking stops if the app goes into pause mode because it thinks you've stopped. I'm going to try and test that out later.

Annoyingly my old gear S2 works just fine so I tend to just switch watches when cycling.

Let me know if you have any luck

0 Likes
MattBJK
First Poster
Options

The only viable solution I have found is to ditch Samsung Health (and sports tracking modes) for Strava.  It works flawlessly for me!

I think that points to an issue with the Samsung Health app and it's exercise modes.

0 Likes
Ezza23
First Poster
Options

It does although as I said it works fine with my gear S2. I like the convenience of starting the ride tracking from my watch but tbh the features of Strava and how it integrates with zwift and other virtual training apps mean I use it most of the time anyway.

So how do you get your watch to track heart rate with Strava then??

0 Likes
MattBJK
First Poster
Options

There is a Starva App available from the Samsung app store.  It just installed simple as that.

0 Likes
Ezza23
First Poster
Options
I've actually got that on watch already I'll give it a go. cheers
0 Likes
Andy_fcd
Apprentice
Options

Did anyone get to the bottom of this?

My Gear Sport is finr for heart rate when walking and generally when runnign but cycling is another matter ... it is almost as if it gives up at speed - geenrally after ~ 3 minutes like the previous posters screenshots show

0 Likes