Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Gear Sport for use in salt water

(Topic created on: 01-07-2018 07:01 AM)
Joe7082
First Poster
Options

Hi 

I am interested in purchasing the Gear Sport. I have read that it is fine to you in Salt water. What is the longevity of the device when exposed to salt water regularly with proper rinsing in fresh water. I work in an Aquarium and I dive in the larger tanks (4-5 meters) would this affect the device? 

Thank you

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10
Solution
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @Joe7082

Thus may help. 

Gear-sport.

*Gear Sport has a water resistance rating of 50 meters under the ISO standard 22810:2010. It is not suitable for diving or high-pressure water activities. If the device or your hands are wet, they must be dried thoroughly prior to handling.

And Samsung.com/global > Can-you-swim-with-your-wearable-these-water-resistance-ratings-will-help-you-fi...

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

Christos18
First Poster
Options

My brother has Gear Sport. It stopped working and took it to Samsung in Greece. The staff said that they will fix it this time but because the watch has been used on salt water, the warranty will not cover it again. It is supposted to  be watterproof up to 50m but apparently in a pool or lake. I dont get it.

Joe7082
First Poster
Options

I work at an aquarium and when doing maintenance in the exhibits i remove my watch. For working briefly in exhibits. Spot cleans or feeding i utilize the water mode. I rinse with fresh water thoroughly after. I ve had my watch since July 2018 and have had no issues as yet. The bezel does stick sometime but after a good rinse its smooth sailing. 

Hope this helps. 

0 Likes
GRKyriakos
First Poster
Options

Hi Christos18 

Could you please verify which samsung support store your brother went to? I am having the same issue and I just was informed by the people atvthe store that I took it that I have to pay. I escalated with Samsung Greece Support and I am waiting for a manager to call me back. Thank you in advance!

0 Likes
Joe7082
First Poster
Options

@Joe7082 wrote:

I work at an aquarium and when doing maintenance in the exhibits i remove my watch. For working briefly in exhibits. Spot cleans or feeding i utilize the water mode. I rinse with fresh water thoroughly after. I ve had my watch since July 2018 and have had no issues as yet. The bezel does stick sometime but after a good rinse its smooth sailing. 

Hope this helps. 

I have been using the Gear sport for a year exactly. I've started to dive with it to a depth of 5m covered by my rash vest to protect any of the Ray's I feed from munching on it. I've also used in temps as low as 16 degrees and up to 35 degrees celcius. Awesome product. 

0 Likes
Connor1
First Poster
Options
Don't, my watch broke after one swim in saltwater (going no deeper than a few meters)
JosipM
First Poster
Options

@Conor1 How did you solve the problem? Does the warranty cover malfunctions caused by salt water?

0 Likes
crivabene
First Poster
Options

Just don’t buy it - go with another brand.

I have a Gear that I had to bring to support 6 months after I bought it and they told me they would not repair it because it was showing oxidation due to a water leak inside... on a waterproof watch, that was never even brought to the sea.

It had been two months of back and forth with Samsung. Now they’re saying the reason is that there is hole in the watch, that was not there when I brought it in.

I really suggest you to stay away from this watch, it is a proper scam and I don’t know how Samsung is able to get away with it.

0 Likes
GRKyriakos
First Poster
Options

I invoked the fact that they cannot discriminate among customers and as it has been recorded hereabove a customer got theirs fixed with the notice NOT to use it with Salt water again. 

They said they will eventually fixed it for free this one time, I an expecting the store to call for me to pick it up . On the greek website , it mentioned , "for sweet water" that is, non salty for Greeks. The  again in the manual it is not clearly stated... 

0 Likes