Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Gear sport Battery draining at night

(Topic created on: 18/10/18 14:15)
Celiawheelia
Pathfinder
Options
Wearables

My gear sport watch, which is around 6 months old, had started to battery drain every night. It happens at around 3am. The battery percentage is around 70% when I go to bed (10-11pm) 

I know the time accurately because the sleep record and HR record switch off. 

Has anyone else had this issue? 

316 REPLIES 316
Dan0801
Explorer
Options
Wearables

My previous reply just disappeared... Just like the charge from my watch... :face-with-tears-of-joy:

So I'm trying to think out of the box a bit. Everybody is focusing on teh watch itself, but in my case there was a phone change just before the issue came up. I think there is a connection between the phone's Samsung Warable app and the watch even if the notifications turned off and the do not disturb is on, whatsoever. If theres a bluetooth connections the issue can be caused by the mobile app. I checked google play when the Samsung Wearable app was last updated, it says August this year. But we don't know what's going on behind the scenes, there might be differnt versions of the Wearable app with very minor differnces, even if the google play not marking the difference as an update. 

I'm trying to connect my watch to my fiances phone tonight an will see what's happening. It will show if the issue is on the phone's side or with the watch.

***And the issue might be also on the "Galaxy apps" side as well, as that's the one handling watch updates...

KittenToni
First Poster
Options
Wearables

This is ridiculous. I went to bed at 11pm w/93% charge, woke up at 5:30 am and after 10 mins it turned off due to low battery. Never had problems until now. This is the third Samsung product I've had issues with... And I'm pissed. I did the reset support suggested. A waste of time. They need an update stat.

0 Likes
Dan0801
Explorer
Options
Wearables

We're getting close to the point when it's easier to list the people who don't have this issue :face-with-tears-of-joy: :face-with-tears-of-joy: :face-with-tears-of-joy:

tredman1
First Poster
Options
Wearables
Also have this problem, very very annoying as I use the watch as an alarm and also it wakes me up in the night to tell me my battery is failing!
Dan0801
Explorer
Options
Wearables

Found this on US community site. Might worth a try (if it's possible for EU):

Re: Battery drain on gear sport 

This fix worked for me:

1. hard reset my watch

2. cleared cache and clear data for both Gear Wearable app and Gear Plugin S app

3. uninstalled both apps

4. install Gear Wearable app from Galaxy Apps

5. Gear Plugin install an old version from September 2.2.03.18083041N (https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/samsung-electronics-co-ltd/gear-s-plugin/gear-s-plugin-2-2-03-18083041)

6. When I start the pairing process, Galaxy Wearable app popped a message saying it needs to update and the update was actually carried to the Gear S Plugin 

result should be :

1. Galaxy Wearable from Galaxy Apps: 2.2.21.18080361
2. Gear S Plugin : 2.2.03.18083051

Dan0801
Explorer
Options
Wearables

Meanwhile uk Twitter support solved all my issues ***sarcastic***

Screenshot_20181018-114002_Twitter.jpg

phk
Navigator
Options
Wearables

I have this problem on my Gear S3 frontier. Go to bed with about 80%, battery completely drained by the time I wake up. (Looks like it happens around 5.00am)

May be coincidence but it started when my S8 had the CRI5 update. 

0 Likes
Celiawheelia
Pathfinder
Options
Wearables

@Dan0801 - I'm not massively techy and don't really understand what the differences are in the apps? Wearable app I know, but the s plug in, I don't know what that is. I'm probably not alone, but I might be 😳 

Is the process basically returning to an older version? 

I haven't updated anything for ages, except the weather app. And that was last week. 

Let me know how you get on. 

Samsung are useless. I have had my watch 6 months and want to try to get a refund. 

Surely if they can't fix this,they should be calling a product recall. 

Wonder if this affects the new galaxy watch too? 

0 Likes
GaryBrett
Voyager
Options
Wearables

- Look on the bright side, while the watch is out of battery you dont have to worry about the faulty HR tracking, steps, sleep and steps, not forgetting Bixby:face-with-rolling-eyes:

At present it doesnt seem to be affecting the Galaxy Watch (well not the battery issue anyway) but I have just replaced my Galaxy S8 phone which has exact same symptoms as your Gear Watches, literally just replaced. 100% --> 0% while alseep

0 Likes
Dan0801
Explorer
Options
Wearables

@GaryBrett wrote:

- Look on the bright side, while the watch is out of battery you dont have to worry about the faulty HR tracking, steps, sleep and steps, not forgetting Bixby:face-with-rolling-eyes:

At present it doesnt seem to be affecting the Galaxy Watch (well not the battery issue anyway) but I have just replaced my Galaxy S8 phone which has exact same symptoms as your Gear Watches, literally just replaced. 100% --> 0% while alseep

Cool... Because my plan is to bring back the Gear sport and ask for a Samsung Watch (of course paying the price difference)

0 Likes
Dan0801
Explorer
Options
Wearables

@Celiawheelia wrote:

@Dan0801 - I'm not massively techy and don't really understand what the differences are in the apps? Wearable app I know, but the s plug in, I don't know what that is. I'm probably not alone, but I might be 😳 

Is the process basically returning to an older version? 

I haven't updated anything for ages, except the weather app. And that was last week. 

Let me know how you get on. 

Samsung are useless. I have had my watch 6 months and want to try to get a refund. 

Surely if they can't fix this,they should be calling a product recall. 

Wonder if this affects the new galaxy watch too? 

Well, I'm also not sure about anything... Have IT degree but working as mechanical engineer for more than a decade so knowledge is absolutely not up to date :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Basically the process (as I see) is to completely reset every app which might influence the communication between the phone and the watch. Yes, it inculdes a downgrade then upgrade of the S plugin (saying again not sure just making assumptions) which might be the background app handling the connection between the devices. Or kinda that. It was probably installed (or activated) when you paired the watch with the phone. It's not really something like a dayly app, can be more like a utility.

I left my watch home today, so I'll give a try when I get home in the afternoon...

0 Likes
androidapk
Observer
Options
Wearables

Direct Download Android Gear S Plugin APK Version 2.2.03.19010761 This application is a component for Samsung Gear Application.

0 Likes
Rommyno
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

First of all, I confirm that with August version the battery consumption is right (after 42 hours of use the rate is 1,12pp/hour)

About the differences between releases, I'm sorry, I noted the difference between versions (41 and 61).

I'll try with 61 version to confirm if this have fixed the battery problem. Actually in Google Play the current release is 41 (¿?) 

Thanks

0 Likes
Max8891
Pathfinder
Options
Wearables

This night again i haven't had any abnormal drain.
I have charged it yesterday evening and i wore it before going to sleep. I enabled aereo mode, goodnight mode, brightness set to 1 and since yesterday i'm using stock watchface called "dashboard".

I'm starting to suppose the custom watchface i was using before was the cause of big night drain, although it sounds me strange.

This night i'll try to use another custom watchface (i mean one bought on galaxy store) and i'll see how the battery behaves.

I'll keep you updated. In the meantime, thanks to all for help

0 Likes
ProphetUK
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

Hello all,

Apologies for the lack of updates, i have been watching the media feeds and awaiting my update to Tizen before I can comment.

I have been getting approx 2 days usage since the Wear app update over a fortnight ago, but haven't had th Tizen update to follow through.  With regards to watchfaces I have about 10 installed (mainly fitness types) all generally low light but have alot of displays i.e. steps, charge, travel distance etc., but nothing too heavy. I have however noticed that during the early hours the Gear S3 sometimes will wake itself up at maximum power for no reason when I have noticed it need to actually press one of the buttons and then cover the screen (which doesnt always work) these are the times when I have poor performance. Just one for those who notice.

This happens whether on my wrist or on the stand charging (woke me up a few times) when on the stand it's a very slow charge and also the watch was on low battery but the dock claimed the charging cycle was complete but was only 56% charged.

0 Likes
Rommyno
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

@Rommyno wrote:

First of all, I confirm that with August version the battery consumption is right (after 42 hours of use the rate is 1,12pp/hour)

About the differences between releases, I'm sorry, I noted the difference between versions (41 and 61).

I'll try with 61 version to confirm if this have fixed the battery problem. Actually in Google Play the current release is 41 (¿?) 

Thanks

After two charge cycles with the release 761 I can confirm that this release drain the battery at comformtable rate (below the 1,3pp/hour), and for me is right (three days of battery)

Thank you

0 Likes
ProphetUK
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

Things are getting worseThings are getting worseAs you can see things

are getting worse. It lasting less and less for no reason. It was full charge this morning and taken off the charge @ 08:05 How can I lose 42% already and it's not doing anything much. I do not have Tizen yet as it's not pushed out to my device yet (found out the classic was purchased in the states). How log do I have to wait  for those who are recording data Model Number os SM-R760  Tizen 3.0.2 R760XXU2CRK2 Serial number RHAHA086PSF. It's not the battery itself as it will randomly reset to sustaining 3 days if I reset everything back to defaults which I have done 5 times now. Has anyone who has upgrade to Tizen 4 having the same issues with more features?

0 Likes
illetyus
Explorer
Options
Wearables
Helo Guys,

i told waaay before. I had issues with battery draining too.

All i did was simple. I enabled ALL NOTIFICATIONS from the Galaxy Wearable App. Thats it! No more battery draining.

I also did these:

1) I turned off wifi.
2) I turned off automatic workout detection.
3) I always made sure that i dont run any 3rd party app in the backround of the watch.

Try it please.
0 Likes
samuelr
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

Same problem with my watch. It has worked great up until now. After Tizen 4 installed, the watch started eating up the battery. It goes from 100% to 31% in about 3 hours. Sometimes it goes from 71% to 17% in just over an hour. Even if I was not even using the watch. Sometimes the battery lasts just few minutes. Same thing happens even if the battery save mode is on.

I have wifi off, the display always off, brightness on 5, heart rate monitor off, and no 3rd party apps installed. All I use the watch for is to keep me alerted when I get incoming messages, and it tells me to get up off my ***** sometimes and move! I do not use it to make or answer calls, GPS and location is off.

When the battery dies and I put the watch on the charger, the watch shows 76-91% battery left. Even it has just got empty. Then it charges about 5 min and says that the battery is full charged.

I have tried all the tricks what I could find from the web; factory reset, un- and reinstalling all the gear apps from the phone. Tried differend versions of Gear S Plugin.

Does anybody have any idea what to do?

ProphetUK
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

@samualr,

I have recently been trying to find what the cause was but it's recently been a bit hit and miss. One of the things I did notice was at night my watch would suddenly light up like a Christmas tree for no reason. I had thought it was possibly when I moved the bezel in my sleep but it also happened when the watch was on the side desk. 

So what I did was take off bezel wake-up off for a day and then back on also wake up gesture set to off. Since then been able to get a least a day or so (but my do not disturb is on from 10-6 Monday-Sunday).

Another thing I did was backup my Frontier (so to preserve my faces) and then recover from backup after a factory reset and uninstallation of the wear app.

With regards to the charging I did also notice this for a couple of days AFTER the Tizen update to fix this un-plug the charging station place the gear on the dock POWERED so it discharges the dock completely then plug it back in at the next Charge cycle so it's a clean charge that should read and then charge the watch from scratch.

BTW switching on all notifications did nothing but drain my gear quicker.

Please also check your handsets as my wife's classic was having the similar issue and what fixed hers was her S9 needed a software update (which meant the Wear app was also updated) and she gained a day worth of use. I tried it with my S8 never worked for me but something for others to try.

0 Likes
samuelr
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

Same problem with my watch. It has worked great up until now. After Tizen 4 installed, the watch started eating up the battery. It goes from 100% to 31% in about 3 hours. Sometimes it goes from 71% to 17% in just over an hour. Even if I was not even using the watch. Sometimes the battery lasts just few minutes. Same thing happens even if the battery save mode is on.

I have wifi off, the display always off, brightness on 5, heart rate monitor off, and no 3rd party apps installed. All I use the watch for is to keep me alerted when I get incoming messages, and it tells me to get up off my ***** sometimes and move! I do not use it to make or answer calls, GPS and location is off.

When the battery dies and I put the watch on the charger, the watch shows 76-91% battery left. Even it has just got empty. Then it charges about 5 min and says that the battery is full charged.

I have tried all the tricks what I could find from the web; factory reset, un- and reinstalling all the gear apps from the phone. Tried differend versions of Gear S Plugin.

Does anybody have any idea what to do?

0 Likes