Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gear sport Battery draining at night

(Topic created on: 10-07-2019 08:20 AM)
Celiawheelia
Pathfinder
Options

My gear sport watch, which is around 6 months old, had started to battery drain every night. It happens at around 3am. The battery percentage is around 70% when I go to bed (10-11pm) 

I know the time accurately because the sleep record and HR record switch off. 

Has anyone else had this issue? 

315 REPLIES 315
ProphetUK
Apprentice
Options
Hello all, Thanks to those who have participated to this thread. Just to give you all an update, I tried all of the suggestions to no avail, then suddenly there was an update to Tizen 4.0.04 SW Version R760XXU2ESE3 and I am back to 4 days.. JUST LIKE THAT! @Galaxy_s8_owner - I did try this too but even with the default faces still had a major battery drain. But all fixed again. NOTE:- This update didn't fix the S3 Gear Classic will look into as why and what updates later. For those who are still struggling these are the steps taken to get to this point 1) Full backup (Both Phone and Gear S3) 2) Using the WEAR app - back-up settings on S3 Gear 3) Run All SAMSUNG PATCH UPDATES ON BOTH DEVICES (If applicable) 4) Switch OFF Gear S3 and Charge FULLY (if the light goes Green on dock remove watch unplug dock and disconnect socket from wall) then connect docker 1st before plugging into wall socket (This ensures there is no power anywhere) then place Gear S3 back on to charge (WITHOUT Turning on). 5) REMOVE THE SAMSUNG WEAR APP FROM PHONE and REBOOT PHONE 6) Re-install SAMSUNG WEAR App on phone 7) Power on GEAR S3 and Re-Pair on device 😎 Once paired Restore S3 settings from previously taken backup (STEP 2) Once complete monitor Gear S3 (Should be back to at least 3 days with no significant battery drain)
0 Likes
REDFN74
First Poster
Options

I just updated to version R770xxuu2ese3 and it has completely destroyed my battery life!!!

I even reset my watch to the bare minimum factory default with zero additional apps or watch faces.

I went from around 24-30 Hours to 5-6 hours.

This is absolutely useless, you destroyed my Gear S3 Classic 

0 Likes
ProphetUK
Apprentice
Options

@REDFN74 Do not panic.. This has happened to quite a few of us users here which is why we started this post. This following procedure should fix it.

1) Let the Gear completely drain (Till it turns itself off do not put it into battery saving!!)

2) Fully Charge the S3 CLASSIC in the off state (Should fully charge in 1 hour (as opposed to 2/3 when on) 

3) Once fully charged complete a FACTORY RESET of the S3 Classic

4) Restore from Backup..

5) If the drain still persists UNINSTALL the WEAR APP Reboot handset and then re-install.

This should get your power back, I have the Frontier S3 and my wife has the classic  so I feel your pain..

0 Likes
Rockchick
First Poster
Options

@ProphetUK wrote:

@REDFN74 Do not panic.. This has happened to quite a few of us users here which is why we started this post. This following procedure should fix it.

1) Let the Gear completely drain (Till it turns itself off do not put it into battery saving!!)

2) Fully Charge the S3 CLASSIC in the off state (Should fully charge in 1 hour (as opposed to 2/3 when on) 

3) Once fully charged complete a FACTORY RESET of the S3 Classic

4) Restore from Backup..

5) If the drain still persists UNINSTALL the WEAR APP Reboot handset and then re-install.

This should get your power back, I have the Frontier S3 and my wife has the classic  so I feel your pain..

I have a Gear Sport and ever since the recent upgrade I've found that my battery has been draining very quickly. I tried turning it off and then back on again - and it did work for a few days. However, I fully charged the watch yesterday and when I went to bed it was on about 74% but completely drained down to 2% this morning.  

I've not done a factory reset yet so I'll work out how to do that once the watch is fully charged again. However, could you please tell me where I find the WEAR APP (please excuse me if I'm being a bit dense)? 

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.  

0 Likes
ProphetUK
Apprentice
Options

@Rockchick Apologies for the late response.

The wear app is available in the google app store or if IOS not sure if it would be in the app store as they are rivals. a quick search turned this up https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/wear-os-by-google-smartwatch/id986496028 

If the watch has recently had it's update it would be good to do a factory reset and then re-pair process (see earlier posts) I can now confirm I am back to my 4 days of usage (though had another update on the phone yesterday so watch this space)

Good luck.

0 Likes
fpfilko
First Poster
Options

I had similar problem with my gear sport, during the day 15% of battery consumed, in the night over 30% (8 hours of sleep vs 16 hours rest of the day - 4x higher consumtion during the  night). I realized, that it is related to flight mode. If I put my watch to flight mode before sleep, watch battery starts draining very fast (I tested and if I enable the flight mode during the day, the watch can barely last one day).

This is very wierd, because if I turn of all connections in settings (bluetooth, wifi, NFC), then there is no battery drain. So, I have to switch all these settings every eveneing and every morning to get normal battery life (3 days). This is annoying, and so I have no idea, what else is flight mode doing, that it consumes so much battery. I would appreciate the switch button in quick settings for bluettoth (there is a shortcut for NFC and wifi).

Btw, I have heart rate monitoring set to every 10 minutes, and it has minimal impact on battery life. But, I switched of the activity detection, because it was annoying (it was spaming my workout log), not sure about the impact of this on battery life.

Hope this helps, and hope Samsung will fix the flight mode.

0 Likes