Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gear S3 Frontier not holding charge and now overheating while being worn

(Topic created on: 17-10-2018 05:12 PM)
RJohnson13
First Poster
Options

Good afternoon,

My wife and I both purchased the Gear S3 Frontier smartwatch as part of a promotion when upgrading to the Galaxy S8 plus phone through AT&T last year. Over the last couple of weeks, the battery on the watch appears to be draining unusually fast, faster than it has before to the point that after a few hours, the battery is dead.

I've tried resetting the watch and re-installing apps, but the problem has persisted. I've tried removing all apps except for the stock apps, and the problem still persists. Have made sure that the watch display remains off unless we press the screen or one of the buttons, but the problem still persists.

Today, we encountered a new issue in that the watch began to overheat while it was being worn -- not while it was charging, but while it was on my wife's wrist while at work.

Has anyone encountered this before, or can someone else please provide any further troubleshooting steps that I can try, or next steps on how to proceed from here? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

- Rob

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4
LostKCfan
First Poster
Options

I have had battery issues or drain issues.. Not as comes and goes. Today three times I got the Overheat message and it started to shut down communications and dim display. I shut down all three times. In between the 1st and 2nd I put on the charger powered down charged to 100%.. put back on my arm rebooted and after four minutes overheat warning again.. Turned off and charge showed 75% mind you its only been 5 minutes since 100% charge displayed. after five minutes overheat again.. Shut down left off for thirty minutes and rebooted this time on the table not on my arm.. AFter ten I put on wrist and it's been abut six hours with no further issues.. 

0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @RJohnson13 and @LostKCfan

That's not good ! 😞

Are you guys using any particular downloaded watch faces. 

I ask because I've come across other posts where a person has used a downloaded watch face and or used one of the watchmaker type of apps and this has had a negative impact on the watch itself. 

I use a Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch paired to my Samsung Galaxy s8 phone with the latest software and am.not experiencing these issues. 

If I was then if after deleting any downloaded apps and as a last resort had reset the watch with no resolution then I would use a Samsung Service Centre or Samsung Experience Store for them to run a diagnostic under the 24 Month Manufacturing Warranty. 

I wish you all the best with this situation.

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes
LostKCfan
First Poster
Options

I took the step this weekend to purposely drain my watch battery down all the way then recharge all the way before rebooting.. Sunday was find no problems had 66% left when I went to bed woke up dead.. Charged to full went to work and was 50% by 11 am so put on charger took off 100% at 12:30 when back from lunch and was dead at 4:pm.. Something is messed up.. I am aware of faces that use excessive battery and been using Samsung Pre-Loaded plain LED look black screen white numbers only.  Always on off..  Crazy. frustrating.. 

0 Likes
gazza3
First Poster
Options

my s3 gear smart watch frontier is not holding the charge for the last  2 days started off 100% by 3 hours later it was on 15% .had an issue with it overheating bit samsung sent a patch out and it sorted it out. now this come on Samsung these are not cheap watches

0 Likes