Gear S3 Frontier battery drain on Tizen 3.0.0.2

(Topic created on: 28/05/18 15:58)
cephalon
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

Hi

I have recently updated my Gear S3 Frontier to Tizen 3.0.0.2
On Tizen 3.0.0.1, I had a battery life of approx 3 days - after updating to Tizen 3.0.0.2, I have a battery life of max 1,5 day.
1. Do other users experience the same?
2. Does anyone have an idea of what could suddenly drain my battery so quickly?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Solution
cephalon
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

Hi BandOfBrothers

Thanks for your input.

I read some posts on this forum suggesting that the drain could be caused by different watch faces...I deleted some of the recent installed watch faces.

I also disabled "About Gear" -> "Open source-license" -> "Report diagnosis and user info".

I can see that the battery drain is substantial less than before - most likely I will have approx 3 days  of battery life again...

View solution in context

Go to solution
254 REPLIES 254
docmarmo
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

This is the Samsung Health App causing the issue .We've been on this firmware for awhile now and no issues... Since they started changing the Health app (which is HORRIBLE compared to the original) this drain issue reared its head .. 

0 Likes
majornerd
Observer
Options
Wearables

try the following:

I had the same issue and found the solution on another forum that has worked like a charm, Charged to 100% yesterday 9am 10/18 and at 2:10 pm est today I still have 53% left and that is with location turned on and heavy interaction thru the day. 

1) go to settings on watch and go to "about gear" Scroll down to "report diagnostic ancd usage information and uncheck it.

2) next, and I thought this was a funny solution, but after the above put your watch on the charger and while it is charging, press and hold power until it reboots and let it finish charging. 

3) welcome to 3 days of battery life again.

MersauX
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

I also disabled diagnostic reporting and health notifications and after almost 24 hours I still have 75% battery.  Not sure which one of the two worked though. 

Ste828
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

Tried this and it seems alot better hopefully tjis will keep it going until samsung get their act together and put out a new firmware

Sujithkallinkee
First Poster
Options
Wearables

It seems battery life is back to normal. Does it make sense to replace my gear S3 since I have only few hours left for the replacement window.

0 Likes
Alexpc73
Explorer
Options
Wearables

It worked!!! 

Just follow the instructions from majornerd. 

I just enable the auto detect workout and didn't drain my battery

catsuk
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

@majornerd wrote:

try the following:

I had the same issue and found the solution on another forum that has worked like a charm, Charged to 100% yesterday 9am 10/18 and at 2:10 pm est today I still have 53% left and that is with location turned on and heavy interaction thru the day. 

1) go to settings on watch and go to "about gear" Scroll down to "report diagnostic ancd usage information and uncheck it.

2) next, and I thought this was a funny solution, but after the above put your watch on the charger and while it is charging, press and hold power until it reboots and let it finish charging. 

Followed above yesterday ..after  10 hours over night now on 89 % . Are you some kind of Samsung Shaman ?.

thanks 

REO1
Explorer
Options
Wearables
This seems to be the solution that works for many. However dis not work on mine. I even disabled the health app and gear app on the phone with no change. Samsung needs to get their act together. Lying about it, mis informing customers, not using this forum as a resource for feedback on customer experience. Just aweful!!!! When you pay $200 to 300 for a smart watch it should work as advertised. When the mfg does a SW update that destroys the performance of the product there is clearly a problem. The really sad thing is it is a nice product when it works. Their CUSTOMER SUPPORT SUCKS!!!
0 Likes
VAD
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

The whole problem is located (resides) on WiFi.
You have to disable WiFi while Bluetooth is ON.
Go to watch Settings > Connections >WiFi >Always Disable.

(adjust Brightness to 3 and Uncheck also Report Diagnostic and Usage Information)

...and you have a whole New Gear-S3
Good Day... :smiling-face: 

REO1
Explorer
Options
Wearables
Tried this. No impact. Even after shutting off wifi and Bluetooth.
0 Likes
VAD
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

VAD
Apprentice
Options
Wearables
, mine is working OK...after 6 hours and a full recharge is now in 91%. No WiFi but with Bluetooth (which is the PROBLEM) , ON. There should be an update on firmware for sure and soon, but until then, this solution is temporary...When you disable both working like a charm, regarding power. (but once again this is not the solution)PS: Try to remove any downloaded problematic watch faces also...
0 Likes
Adrianharvey68
Apprentice
Options
Wearables
Hi mate go into your phone setting. Go to your apps ,click on gear s plugin then storage clear data.your watch will reset.back up your watch 1st.hope that helps you.it works for me.
REO1
Explorer
Options
Wearables
Thx. I'll give it a try when i get the watch back from Samsung.
0 Likes
Rajivpaudel
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

Yes bro correct I now realize that I did the same and my battery is also running at 46 % after almost 40 hrs. Great man , suggest others to do the same till a solution is provided by Samsung

catsuk
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

@catsuk wrote:

@majornerd wrote:

try the following:

Followed above yesterday ..after  10 hours over night now on 89 % . Are you some kind of Samsung Shaman ?.

thanks 

Update... 1 day and 14 hours  still on 63% ... just turned off "Report Diagnostic and usage info " and the reboot on the charger. looking good.

RobLobster
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

Thanks. I've found something else that works for me last night at 

https://www.iotgadgets.com/2018/10/samsung-gear-s3-and-gear-sport-battery-drain-problem-heres-a-fix/

But the way I see it, if passive usage data collection is causing this issue then it can get turned off anyway! So I followed your instructions. :smiling-face:

Thanks to all who suggest turning off usage data collection and rebooting, it sounds like that's working as well. 

0 Likes
Thu
First Poster
Options
Wearables

I have just updated my Gear 2 day ago. until now it's working good. seem likes the last version. I think Samsung already solve the problem. take your time to update... hope you guys enjoy with the good new. 

my Gear is Tizen 3.0.0.2

0 Likes
pavel101
First Poster
Options
Wearables

Hi, I've done all these steps and it's not helped! Samsung please review this issue and give the firmware update to us!

0 Likes
Uzzi
Observer
Options
Wearables

I reset my frontier s3 to factory and still the same problem,  battery drain really fast,  1 day max..

Arnold31
Explorer
Options
Wearables

My Gear s3 Frontier had a battery life of 72 hours, 30% Samsung Health and 7% watchfaces. Since the day of buying, may 2018, I have changed nothing.

Three days ago suddenly batterly life changed to 20 hours. Stopping Samsung Health and restarting didn't changed anything. 

Tizen version 3.0.0.2