Go to solution Solved

Gear S3 Frontier battery drain on Tizen 3.0.0.2

(Topic created on: 18-01-2019 01:56 AM)
cephalon
Apprentice
Options

Hi

I have recently updated my Gear S3 Frontier to Tizen 3.0.0.2
On Tizen 3.0.0.1, I had a battery life of approx 3 days - after updating to Tizen 3.0.0.2, I have a battery life of max 1,5 day.
1. Do other users experience the same?
2. Does anyone have an idea of what could suddenly drain my battery so quickly?

254 REPLIES 254
scampatrol
Apprentice
Options

Thanks darius18. Much appreciated.

The auto software update feature on the watch is not picking up that a new version is available.

Samsung told me I will need to go to one of their repair centres to get it manually installed. 

Also noticed from another recent post that Gear S Plugin 2.2.03.18121461 is supposed to significantly improve battery life.

Can someone verify whether this has worked for them?

0 Likes
Behnam1
First Poster
Options

@cephalon wrote:

Hi BandOfBrothers

Thanks for your input.

I read some posts on this forum suggesting that the drain could be caused by different watch faces...I deleted some of the recent installed watch faces.

I also disabled "About Gear" -> "Open source-license" -> "Report diagnosis and user info".

I can see that the battery drain is substantial less than before - most likely I will have approx 3 days  of battery life again...

@cephalon wrote:

Hi BandOfBrothers

Thanks for your input.

I read some posts on this forum suggesting that the drain could be caused by different watch faces...I deleted some of the recent installed watch faces.

I also disabled "About Gear" -> "Open source-license" -> "Report diagnosis and user info".

I can see that the battery drain is substantial less than before - most likely I will have approx 3 days  of battery life again...

0 Likes
iix23
First Poster
Options
Feels like Samsung has been bought by China and are trying to kill the company. Same problem with my watch and also had the Gear Icon earbuds replaced 4 times without a fix.
My next phone will probably not be a Samsung anymore.
No responses from Samsung on any problems, no customer service. They think that they are to big to fail so, don't care anymore.
0 Likes
arachnida
Apprentice
Options

After updating to FW 4.0.0.2 the issue stayed the same so I decided to take my watch to the brand new support centre in Antwerp. They did not only replace my battery but also the main CPU board and back glass including sensors as it was likely to be damaged by the overheating battery problem I had before. All this was done under full warranty, so thumbs up for Samsung! (In Belgium we have 2y of warranty.) 

Battery life is now back to normal, I get more than 24h out of it while using a Watchmaker watch face with DIM functionality.

0 Likes
jimp711
First Poster
Options

I have had the same expiriece wit Samsung customer service. I have a S3 Frontier and all of a sudden the battery started draining very quickly and disconecting from my phone constanly! I called Samsung Customer Service and they dont care! Just want me to send in the watch! They have no clue! Plus were rude on the phone. I had a problem years ago with a TV and was told by a Customer Service supervisor to buy a ne TV! Should have learned my lesson then!

0 Likes
Pablo2
Journeyman
Options
Thanks for the suggestion it seems to work for me...
0 Likes
samuelr
Apprentice
Options

I have also this problem.

My watch has worked great up until now. After Tizen 4 installed, the watch started eating up the battery. It goes from 100% to 31% in about 3 hours. Sometimes it goes from 71% to 17% in just over an hour. Even if I was not even using the watch. Sometimes the battery lasts just few minutes. Same thing happens even if the battery save mode is on.

I have wifi off, the display always off, brightness on 5, heart rate monitor off, and no 3rd party apps installed. All I use the watch for is to keep me alerted when I get incoming messages, and it tells me to get up off my ***** sometimes and move! I do not use it to make or answer calls, GPS and location is off.

When the battery dies and I put the watch on the charger, the watch shows 76-91% battery left. Even it has just got empty. Then it charges about 5 min and says that the battery is full charged.

I have tried all the tricks what I could find from the web; factory reset, un- and reinstalling all the gear apps from the phone. Tried differend versions of Gear S Plugin.

Does anybody have any idea what to do?

Pablo2
Journeyman
Options

I have the same issue in the Gear S3 classic. Deactivating report diagnostic and user info in  About watch improves a bit (I can make the day).

I've also deactivated location and it improves a bit more.

Anyway there is a clear bug in Tizen  v4.

I hope samsung fixes it soon.

0 Likes
CTChris
First Poster
Options

Ever since upgrade to 4.0.0.2 my battery life is terrible. I barely get 1 day out of it. It is MUCH worse if the watch strays out of bluetooth range, in which case I get mere hours out of it. It'll drop from mid 70% to under 15 in less than an hour. Totally sucks! I tried to update the plugin as described in a previous post, but the plugin I have is more up to date, so it won't let me install it. 

0 Likes
PedroM85
First Poster
Options

This is not a solution

0 Likes