Go to solution Solved

Gear S3 Frontier battery drain on Tizen 3.0.0.2

(Topic created on: 20-11-2018 10:32 PM)
cephalon
Apprentice
Options

Hi

I have recently updated my Gear S3 Frontier to Tizen 3.0.0.2
On Tizen 3.0.0.1, I had a battery life of approx 3 days - after updating to Tizen 3.0.0.2, I have a battery life of max 1,5 day.
1. Do other users experience the same?
2. Does anyone have an idea of what could suddenly drain my battery so quickly?

254 REPLIES 254
Fred35
Journeyman
Options

3-4 days !!! 

I would love to have that with l8ne. 2 days and some hours is max.

What s your setup ? Do you pit the watch off night ?

0 Likes
RobLobster
Apprentice
Options

@Fred35 wrote:

3-4 days !!! 

I would love to have that with l8ne. 2 days and some hours is max.

What s your setup ? Do you pit the watch off night ?

No, I wear it at night, one of the reasons I got it was for the sleep tracking. But I use a watch face that doesn't constantly track my heart rate, that's darker. I keep the AOD off and I play with all the settings. I keep my notifications to a minimum, just apps that have business with the watch, phone and messages. Sometimes if I'm sitting in my office for a long period imput the watch on the charger but even if not I can get to the fourth day before it asks me to go into low power mode . It won't do four full days, but I can definitely get three full days out of it. 

0 Likes
Fred35
Journeyman
Options

Thanks 4 your detailed answer 🙂

0 Likes
Thu
First Poster
Options

I have just updated my Gear 2 day ago. until now it's working good. seem likes the last version. I think Samsung already solve the problem. take your time to update... hope you guys enjoy with the good new. 

my Gear is Tizen 3.0.0.2

0 Likes
sooby
Student
Options

It appears Samsung has pushed a new firmware update.

https://www.sammobile.com/2018/11/20/gear-s3-update-sudden-battery-drainage-issue/

scampatrol
Apprentice
Options

Thanks sooby. Good to know.

I purchased my Gear S3 Frontier in April 2018. It connects to my iPhone 7+. I also have an old Note 4.

This is how I get 3.5 days:

- Default digital watch face - I have heart rate, steps, date, and battery % in each small quadrant.

- Remove altometer widget

- S health workout notifications all set to OFF/disabled.  

- Bluetooth and WiFi are OFF permanently. Turn BT ON once a day to synch and then turn it OFF immediately after.

- I wear mine to bed for sleep tracking. Before going to bed, set it to Do not disturb, and power saving ON.

Noticed I got a significant improvement in battery life when connecting to the Note 4. Reading the article, it seems Samsung recognised there was an issue with certain phone types, and I would say the iPhone 7+ was one of those. 

0 Likes
scampatrol
Apprentice
Options

Forgot to metion.... the 3.5 days is before this latest up-coming fix, which hasn't come through yet where I'm based. Hopefully it will improve it even further, especially after I upgrade to a Note 9 in 3 weeks' time. Will let you all know... cheers

0 Likes
sooby
Student
Options

I have a Note 9 and I end up sending my Frontier LTE ATT to be repaired. The diagnosis is the battery failed to charge. They replaced the battery. I'm out of town so I have to delay the receipt of my repaired watch. Will see how the repair works out. 

0 Likes
BrinoS87
First Poster
Options

I've had the watch for 3 days. After the first charge, the battery lasted me almost 2 days. Now, in just over 5 hours, I'm already at 50%. I'm thinking of returning the watch. It's a shame because it's really nice.

0 Likes
darius18
Journeyman
Options

Hi I have had this watch 3 days also, after its first charge it lasted several hours. I turned everything off except Bluetooth. And it went from 100% to dead in about 8 hours. I was ready to return it, but first I reset it back to factory settings, then looked how to update the software. It found an update that said it fixed rapid battery drain problem. So yesterday from 7am to 10pm it used 18% battery with everything turned on. I'm gonna keep it now, which I'm glad about because I love the watch.