Go to solution Solved

Gear S3 Frontier battery drain on Tizen 3.0.0.2

(Topic created on: 19-10-2018 05:09 AM)
cephalon
Apprentice
Options

Hi

I have recently updated my Gear S3 Frontier to Tizen 3.0.0.2
On Tizen 3.0.0.1, I had a battery life of approx 3 days - after updating to Tizen 3.0.0.2, I have a battery life of max 1,5 day.
1. Do other users experience the same?
2. Does anyone have an idea of what could suddenly drain my battery so quickly?

254 REPLIES 254
ECE1974
Apprentice
Options

I spoke with a rep from Samsung tonight about this issue, and at first they were adamant about me sending my watch in for repairs, I refused stating that this is not a hardware issue, but a software issue. After about a 25 minute conversation with them, I finally just gave up and ended the call. THEY CALLED ME BACK ABOUT 20 MINUTES LATER!!! They let me know that the software engineers are aware of the issue, and a new update will be being released within a couple of weeks . Now let's see if that really happens.  

Rajivpaudel
Apprentice
Options
Thanks (ECE1974) Buddy. This comes as a relief. Let's hope for the best. Really don't want to return this watch just love it. Hope Samsung is listening
Discojim
First Poster
Options

Thats funny, i spoke to a rep on the phone earlier today and they had said that they had no communication about the issue. I had slso gone into a samsung store and they played dumb as well. If you do know its an issue let us know, as far as im aware  nearly everyone who has this watch is happy with it. Not cool Samsung, not cool! 

Ste828
Apprentice
Options

@catsuk wrote:

I have same issue seems stable during day but drains at night. Last night i tried without do not disturb on it and also put in power saving mode instead and still it dropped from 92% at 10.30 to 21% at 4.45.

Only thing i can think of is the sleep monitoring system. Adjusted sleep time in the health app to see if that changes anything tonight

0 Likes
Arnold31
Explorer
Options

My Gear s3 Frontier had a battery life of 72 hours, 30% Samsung Health and 7% watchfaces. Since the day of buying, may 2018, I have changed nothing.

Three days ago suddenly batterly life changed to 20 hours. Stopping Samsung Health and restarting didn't changed anything. 

Tizen version 3.0.0.2

BobLoblaw
Apprentice
Options

Uninstalling the Altimeter app didn't help.

Had 70% charge before bed, watch was dead in the morning.

0 Likes
Alexpc73
Explorer
Options

I checked tonight, and the problem comes from the Health app from Samsung... I took a screenshot and this amazing!!! Look how much fast it drains, a 10% in less than an hour... 42 minutes. The problem is under the Health app... 

This is a *****... and must be fixed asap... Screenshot_20181019-063640.jpg

catsuk
Journeyman
Options

@catsuk wrote:

I charged the watch up to 100% about 4pm, went to bed about 11pm Gear was on 91%, woke up at 6am  with low battery warrning approx 4% apps using most power showing as health app 14%  and notifications 21% . In to work by 7am charged again to 100% .Its now 2.30 pm so now been on for nearly 5 hours and battery level 90%.

Only things diferent between day and night is do not disturb schedule comes on at 11pm and off at 5.30 and I was asleep.

Looks like we need to keep moving in our sleep to charge the battery 🙂

Does this mirror anyone else ?

Identical experience last night down to 80% after 6 or 7 hours then over night down to 4 % , showing health app  on      14 % and notifications on 23 %  battery usage.

0 Likes
MersauX
Apprentice
Options

@catsuk wrote:

@catsuk wrote:

I charged the watch up to 100% about 4pm, went to bed about 11pm Gear was on 91%, woke up at 6am  with low battery warrning approx 4% apps using most power showing as health app 14%  and notifications 21% . In to work by 7am charged again to 100% .Its now 2.30 pm so now been on for nearly 5 hours and battery level 90%.

Only things diferent between day and night is do not disturb schedule comes on at 11pm and off at 5.30 and I was asleep.

Looks like we need to keep moving in our sleep to charge the battery 🙂

Does this mirror anyone else ?

Identical experience last night down to 80% after 6 or 7 hours then over night down to 4 % , showing health app  on      14 % and notifications on 23 %  battery usage.

Disabling automatic workout detection didn't help. I had 81% battery when I went to bed. Turned on do not disturb as usual. Woke up at 5:20 I had 15% battery so I turned on battery saver and it still kept draining like crazy. Within the hour I had 6%. I placed the watch on the charger it still kept draining and warned me when it fell to 5% that using the watch while charging can slow down the process (but I didn't use it). I had to turn off the watch in order for it to charge. To me it showed that notifications ate up 41% battery life, health was right behind with 34%.  Usually health is top of the list. I hope Samsung solves this soon.

0 Likes
nFoxInc
Apprentice
Options

Me and my 7 friends investigated this issue, some of my friends have S6 some S7, Note 7, S8, Note 8 all have Gear S3 Frontier, simptoms was similar except S6 case, battery drain issue started after system update, in all cases problem was in "notifications" it drained about 32%-36% and "Samsung Health" aditionaly increased up for 4%-9%. What's strange that even if we disabled notifications in gear app, it still drained battery like "blood sucker", besides not only gear s3 battery drained faster but phone battery too, not so significant but if you use your phone more than few months than you know how fast your battery drains and even smaller changes you can detect. We tried many scenarios from factory reset to reflash trought "odin" but nothing helped. Im like Samsung products but that fact that company damages your property isn't good for reputation, besides samsung products are not so cheap to take and throw phone or watch to trash and buy another one! If similar issues will continue in future im may consider to look at other companies. P.S. sorry Samsung but it's your fault!

Forgot to mention that with bluetooth conectivity with watch is strange to, yesterday while charging watch and phone, watch beeped few times that they disconnected from phone, but distance between watch and phone was less that 15cm-20cm