Gear S3 Frontier battery drain on Tizen 3.0.0.2

(Topic created on: 03/08/18 03:20)
cephalon
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

Hi

I have recently updated my Gear S3 Frontier to Tizen 3.0.0.2
On Tizen 3.0.0.1, I had a battery life of approx 3 days - after updating to Tizen 3.0.0.2, I have a battery life of max 1,5 day.
1. Do other users experience the same?
2. Does anyone have an idea of what could suddenly drain my battery so quickly?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Solution
cephalon
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

Hi BandOfBrothers

Thanks for your input.

I read some posts on this forum suggesting that the drain could be caused by different watch faces...I deleted some of the recent installed watch faces.

I also disabled "About Gear" -> "Open source-license" -> "Report diagnosis and user info".

I can see that the battery drain is substantial less than before - most likely I will have approx 3 days  of battery life again...

View solution in context

254 REPLIES 254
Tony56
Options
Wearables

I find the absolutely pathetic denial of knowledge of the problem by Samsung does not inspire confidence in the brand.

They need to get their stuff together if they want repeat business of positiver referrals.

I feel like a loser using their products.

0 Likes
decoo
First Poster
Options
Wearables

Install plugin 2.2.03.18101561 from mirror site and problem is solved. Back to 2-3 days of battery life.

0 Likes
PlanetUSA
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

@decoo wrote:

Install plugin 2.2.03.18101561 from mirror site and problem is solved. Back to 2-3 days of battery life.

Can you provide a link to that file?

0 Likes
decoo
First Poster
Options
Wearables
0 Likes
decoo
First Poster
Options
Wearables

@PlanetUSA wrote:

@decoo wrote:

Can you provide a link to that file?

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/samsung-electronics-co-ltd/gear-s-plugin/gear-s-plugin-2-2-03-18101561...

0 Likes
jimp711
Options
Wearables

I have had the same expiriece wit Samsung customer service. I have a S3 Frontier and all of a sudden the battery started draining very quickly and disconecting from my phone constanly! I called Samsung Customer Service and they dont care! Just want me to send in the watch! They have no clue! Plus were rude on the phone. I had a problem years ago with a TV and was told by a Customer Service supervisor to buy a ne TV! Should have learned my lesson then!

0 Likes
scampatrol
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

Update since my last post:

After several days of testing here are my results, which will hopefully be of some assistance to some.

--> High battery usage was caused by a number of non-default Watch Faces. The animated ones were the worst.

--> Deleting the non-default Watch faces did not make any difference to high battery usage. They seem to stay in RAM.

--> Remediation steps:

1) Factory reset

2) Do not restore previous configs. Reconfigure it from scratch.

3) Only use the default watch faces - the B&W Digital clock face is the one I use. Tip: You'll need the Samsung phone Gear app to customise it if you want to change some of the indicators to things like 'Battery'. The iPhone Gear app doesn't let you change it. You're stuck with only being able to toggle between Steps/HR/Date/World Clock.

Once I did this, I got 2.5 days out of a full charge. This is because I have Bluetooth On all the time and I do a one hour workout everyday, so it could have been even better. Note: I do sleep tracking so before going to sleep I enable 'Do not disturb' and 'Power Save'. Another interesting find was that after enabling Wifi and Location On during the day, I still got 2 full days of battery charge.

All in all I am really impressed with this watch and cannot wait to explore more of its features as time goes on.

cheers.     

0 Likes
Unhappy123
Explorer
Options
Wearables
Yes yes i have all the problems!! Surely Samsung we could not all be wrong!!
0 Likes
hesham4islam
First Poster
Options
Wearables

I have the same issue. Battery does not last the day. In addition, my wake up gesture is not working anymore and when charging while the watch is On, the screen does not rotate.

Vik7679
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

I know it's annoying, the main reason why i changed from Apple over to Samsung. Big retailers do this, there was s post mistakenly made live by Apple saying they on purpose produce updates to defect the current models to force people to upgrade on new releases. Apple apologuesd so guessing Samsung doing the same. This is why i was hesitate to get a smart watch the hassles we all go for and you think normal watch be better off then smart watch.

Thu
First Poster
Options
Wearables

i got the same problem. please help me if u already solve the problem.

0 Likes
Unhappy123
Explorer
Options
Wearables
Yes love a bit of help please,Has anyone got through to headoffice of Samsung
0 Likes
Unhappy123
Explorer
Options
Wearables

Hi since updates on Samsung frontier ,might as well bin watch as im getting a day if im lucky with battery and brightness and sound turned to silence ,i dont play around with watch just sits there ,im thinking of going back to my samsung gear s2 

0 Likes
Matt666
Options
Wearables

It definitely sounds like a software issue. I was getting 2.5 days out of the S3 Frontier on a full charge but since the last update it wont last more than a half a day. I only use the default watch faces (mainly the digital watch face in white) and have always had the auto heart rate and work out detections on and connected to my phone via Blutooth without much loss of battery life.

When I did have issues, it was usually after a software update, but I could always fix it by factory resetting my S3 and restoring it. This time has been an exception and even switching the watch to battery saving made, it have deminished at exactly the same rate as having it on normal.

Funnily enough my Samsung Galaxy S7 recently updated around the same time and is also failing to last a full day on full charge, requiring me to take a power bank with me just in case. Something definitely doesn't sound right with the recent OS updates.

0 Likes
nFoxInc
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

What drains!What drains!9 Notifications enabled9 Notifications enabled

Mine eats battery like thursty vampire, ~15 hours and then dead, issue appeared suddenly  two days ago!

nyespo77
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

I had a battery life of almost 3 days prior to the update - now I am lucky if I get 6 hours without the watch dying. I am using the stock watch face, no extra apps, and barely use the watch except for checking text messages. I got the watch less than a year ago and have had issues with both the updates samsung pushed. I contacted support ..... still waiting for a response

XTREMEBASE
Apprentice
Options
Wearables
I did a full reset and removed altimeter/barometer app after new setup.Gear s3 back to normal and used 35% in 24hours with moderate use.This was the solution to my battery drain after receiving the update 3.0.0.2.
0 Likes
XTREMEBASE
Apprentice
Options
Wearables
Must also add that since full reset I have not updated any apps that notify me that there is an update.incl the health app.I have turned off auto updates.
0 Likes
catsuk
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

@XTREMEBASE wrote:
Must also add that since full reset I have not updated any apps that notify me that there is an update.incl the health app.I have turned off auto updates.

Sorry but Is this a Full reset of watch or phone  or both ??

0 Likes
Decyther
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

Well after trying to do a reset on my S3 it managed to brick itself and go into a bootloop 😮 So it's now been sent to a service center via UPS.  Here's hoping that they don't damage my watch or try to claim it's not covered under warranty (5 months old btw). If they try anything funny with me I will raise one holy sh*tstorm with them.  See how long this all takes now.... Thanks Samsung! 🤬

Gear S3 Frontier, Honor Play
0 Likes
Adam18
First Poster
Options
Wearables

Hi There

All i did was turn off the health app through the gear wearable app on my phone. I have not reset the watch, i am still running Tizen 3.0.0.2 and since my fisrt post my watch is still on 100% battery life.

0 Likes