Gear S3 Frontier battery drain on Tizen 3.0.0.2

(Topic created on: 22/03/19 02:47)
cephalon
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

Hi

I have recently updated my Gear S3 Frontier to Tizen 3.0.0.2
On Tizen 3.0.0.1, I had a battery life of approx 3 days - after updating to Tizen 3.0.0.2, I have a battery life of max 1,5 day.
1. Do other users experience the same?
2. Does anyone have an idea of what could suddenly drain my battery so quickly?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Solution
cephalon
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

Hi BandOfBrothers

Thanks for your input.

I read some posts on this forum suggesting that the drain could be caused by different watch faces...I deleted some of the recent installed watch faces.

I also disabled "About Gear" -> "Open source-license" -> "Report diagnosis and user info".

I can see that the battery drain is substantial less than before - most likely I will have approx 3 days  of battery life again...

View solution in context

254 REPLIES 254
BobLoblaw
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

Uninstalling the Altimeter app didn't help.

Had 70% charge before bed, watch was dead in the morning.

0 Likes
Alexpc73
Explorer
Options
Wearables

I checked tonight, and the problem comes from the Health app from Samsung... I took a screenshot and this amazing!!! Look how much fast it drains, a 10% in less than an hour... 42 minutes. The problem is under the Health app... 

This is a *****... and must be fixed asap... Screenshot_20181019-063640.jpg

CAZE
First Poster
Options
Wearables
Hello I am experiencing serious issues with the battery life of my Gear S3 classic I already have installed all software updates to the versions shown below: Model SM-R770 Tizen 3.0.0.2 R770XXU2CRH1 KNOX 2.2.0 Fully charged it lasts only 4 hours until the watch shuts down. Then when I put it in the cradle to charge it again, it shows that the battery is still at 60-70%. From then, A full charge will take less than half hour until the green light on the cradle indicates that the charge is complete, even tough the battery is “supposedly” totally empty. Then the cycle repeats: battery will last only 4 hours , take it to the charge cradle, Watch shows the battery at 60%; charge in the cradle for 30 min or less…. All these means, that I have to charge my Gear twice a day. I have seen in various forums, that these issue is very common and so far no fix for it.
0 Likes
Adrianharvey68
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

Hi mate go to phone settings go to apps then down to gear s plugin click on storage and clear data that will help you. A. Harvey 

0 Likes
Alexpc73
Explorer
Options
Wearables

@CAZE wrote:
Hello I am experiencing serious issues with the battery life of my Gear S3 classic I already have installed all software updates to the versions shown below: Model SM-R770 Tizen 3.0.0.2 R770XXU2CRH1 KNOX 2.2.0 Fully charged it lasts only 4 hours until the watch shuts down. Then when I put it in the cradle to charge it again, it shows that the battery is still at 60-70%. From then, A full charge will take less than half hour until the green light on the cradle indicates that the charge is complete, even tough the battery is “supposedly” totally empty. Then the cycle repeats: battery will last only 4 hours , take it to the charge cradle, Watch shows the battery at 60%; charge in the cradle for 30 min or less…. All these means, that I have to charge my Gear twice a day. I have seen in various forums, that these issue is very common and so far no fix for it.

Hi @CAZE, please search for the TAG "Solution"... you need to disable in the smartwatch the report and use. This fixed it

It's in the sheet 15 of this thread

Dr-Kuldip
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

No need to do anything just go to play store App and give One star rating to Gear app,your problem will solve within a weak if they go through your comment. 

OMR
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

I just did.
More should as well.

0 Likes
fotisgem
Explorer
Options
Wearables

didn't do the job for me....still having huge draining problem...seems that settigs app and then notification drain the most power 

rd400racer
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

I'm to the point that I just don't get this watch. Had battery problems last week, reset, worked fine until 2 nights ago. Then I went to bed with 80% power and by 3am it died. Recharged it at 6am yesterday and it's only used 30% of it's power 36 hours later. It's on course to last 3 days, which it has never done.

Only comment I can make is...WTF!?

0 Likes
Kamil12
Options
Wearables

Hello,

I'm getting sick of it!! I spend  £300 to get a bloody thing. Had an issue for a while before last software update and I hope that the problem will be solved. It looks good for a fist few days and then get back to the situation befor an update.

I will try to give it back as I'm very dsapointed.

Unhappy123
Explorer
Options
Wearables
Yes me neither
0 Likes
Raymondchiz
Observer
Options
Wearables

My watch had 3 day service on one charge . I did the update battery life went to 5 hours . I have not added any watch faces or any apps at all . Why the change in battery life ? 

0 Likes
Greek68
Observer
Options
Wearables
Thanks
0 Likes
Behnam1
First Poster
Options
Wearables

@cephalon wrote:

Hi BandOfBrothers

Thanks for your input.

I read some posts on this forum suggesting that the drain could be caused by different watch faces...I deleted some of the recent installed watch faces.

I also disabled "About Gear" -> "Open source-license" -> "Report diagnosis and user info".

I can see that the battery drain is substantial less than before - most likely I will have approx 3 days  of battery life again...

@cephalon wrote:

Hi BandOfBrothers

Thanks for your input.

0 Likes
iix23
Options
Wearables
Feels like Samsung has been bought by China and are trying to kill the company. Same problem with my watch and also had the Gear Icon earbuds replaced 4 times without a fix.
My next phone will probably not be a Samsung anymore.
No responses from Samsung on any problems, no customer service. They think that they are to big to fail so, don't care anymore.
0 Likes
arachnida
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

After updating to FW 4.0.0.2 the issue stayed the same so I decided to take my watch to the brand new support centre in Antwerp. They did not only replace my battery but also the main CPU board and back glass including sensors as it was likely to be damaged by the overheating battery problem I had before. All this was done under full warranty, so thumbs up for Samsung! (In Belgium we have 2y of warranty.) 

Battery life is now back to normal, I get more than 24h out of it while using a Watchmaker watch face with DIM functionality.

0 Likes
Pablo2
Apprentice
Options
Wearables
Thanks for the suggestion it seems to work for me...
0 Likes
samuelr
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

I have also this problem.

My watch has worked great up until now. After Tizen 4 installed, the watch started eating up the battery. It goes from 100% to 31% in about 3 hours. Sometimes it goes from 71% to 17% in just over an hour. Even if I was not even using the watch. Sometimes the battery lasts just few minutes. Same thing happens even if the battery save mode is on.

I have wifi off, the display always off, brightness on 5, heart rate monitor off, and no 3rd party apps installed. All I use the watch for is to keep me alerted when I get incoming messages, and it tells me to get up off my ***** sometimes and move! I do not use it to make or answer calls, GPS and location is off.

When the battery dies and I put the watch on the charger, the watch shows 76-91% battery left. Even it has just got empty. Then it charges about 5 min and says that the battery is full charged.

I have tried all the tricks what I could find from the web; factory reset, un- and reinstalling all the gear apps from the phone. Tried differend versions of Gear S Plugin.

Does anybody have any idea what to do?

Pablo2
Apprentice
Options
Wearables

I have the same issue in the Gear S3 classic. Deactivating report diagnostic and user info in  About watch improves a bit (I can make the day).

I've also deactivated location and it improves a bit more.

Anyway there is a clear bug in Tizen  v4.

I hope samsung fixes it soon.

0 Likes
CTChris
Options
Wearables

Ever since upgrade to 4.0.0.2 my battery life is terrible. I barely get 1 day out of it. It is MUCH worse if the watch strays out of bluetooth range, in which case I get mere hours out of it. It'll drop from mid 70% to under 15 in less than an hour. Totally sucks! I tried to update the plugin as described in a previous post, but the plugin I have is more up to date, so it won't let me install it. 

0 Likes
PedroM85
First Poster
Options
Wearables

This is not a solution

0 Likes