Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gear fit 2 strap broken

(Topic created on: 21-11-2019 06:46 PM)
Paints
Apprentice
Options

Hi all, the strap on my gear fit 2 has broken and I bought a copy as replacement as I couldn't find a genuine Samsung strap. The copy strap keeps popping off the watch face so I don't trust it to keep my watch on my wrist.

I contacted Samsung today and they said that the strap isn't covered under the warranty but I can buy a new strap. However, when I was transferred to sales they said they don't have official replacement straps but they have some resellers that offer straps. She gave me 3 companies - formysamsung, e spares and partmaster. I've checked all of these online and none of them sell straps either.

So I now have a fitness band that I can't wear! Has anybody else had this issue? I can't believe Samsung don't sell replacement straps, just shows that they're only interested in selling new things and not interested in providing after care...

33 REPLIES 33
Stephenjp
Journeyman
Options

Sorry to hear about yet another broken strap Yes you have to be careful about one of the straps becoming unclipped which risks losing or damaging the gear fit 2. 

I used to keep checking the retaining latch near the clip was properly pushed in to try and stop it falling out.

calliarcale
Student
Options

I've had my Gear Fit 2 watch for barely a week -- a birthday present from my dear brother-in-law.  My strap just broke completely -- not just slipped out of the clips, but broke off the part that fits into the clips.  I've had it very little time at all, and it wasn't under any unusual strain or anything; I was just standing reading a magazine when i felt it slide on my wrist and saw that it had broken.  I'm very disappointed to hear that Samsung will not sell replacement straps.

calliarcale
Student
Options

Since posting my last message, I have found it is actually possible to buy new straps, and they're actually not too expensive.  I also discovered that the fitting that had come off of the strap was easily glued back on.  If it fails again, I will buy a new strap.

macnmotion
Apprentice
Options

Glad you have it sorted out  When mine broke it literally fractured apart. Glue wouldn't have helped. And here in Thailand I was able to purchase the HALF of the strap that broke for the equivalent of US$20. Not exactly cheap. 

ECerdas
First Poster
Options

Hi, great that you are able to buy new straps.  Would you mind sharing the URL or way in which you were able to buy the new OEM straps?

Thanks!

macnmotion
Apprentice
Options

I bought directly from Samsung in Thailand. One of my staff went to a Samsung shop in one of the malls here in Bangkok where the item was in stock. I'm not certain what the process would be in another country.

0 Likes
Nay_
First Poster
Options

Hi There!

I purchased a GearFit2 Pro in January 2018, I accidently dropped it while putting it on my wrist but I could still see the screen, then the band broke, this was within 8 months of normal usage every day.  I thought maybe I had been too rough, even though I knew I hadn't, so when it was replaced I made sure I was very very careful with the replacement, as with the previous, I cleaned the contacts on the back every time I put it on the charger, to avoid premature corrosion. I cleaned the contacts every evening before my shower, I made sure I didn't pull back the strap to a straight position, because it's clearly not designed to do that, but no, it has broken within 6 months of replacement. Surely Samsung has a plan for this issue? It's just not ok when we spend so much money on a product only to have it break so quickly and easily...

I will be posting this comment and my feelings about this on Facebook as well as other social media outlets...

Disgruntled Samsung Purchaser

Naomi

huntl043
First Poster
Options
This same thing happened to my watch yesterday. Were you able to find a solution to this problem?
Mister_T
Student
Options

Samsung support said I could send mine in for $70 diagnostic then whatever repair cost. I search for cheaper options (using resin/epoxy/model cement/etc) then found this option for super cheap!

Search Amazon or Walmart for "gear fit 2 rugged band" or "Gear Fit rugged". For under $10 USD you can get something like this...you just detach the watch bands and pop the watch into it. 

718KhxxXLDL._SL1500_71QqXgSr6aL._SL1500_

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MG25245?tag=androidcentralb-20&ascsubtag=UUacUdUnU58559YYwYg

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Silicone-Replacement-Compatible-SM-R360/dp/B0748DR7NG

https://www.walmart.com/ip/For-Gear-Fit2-Fit2-pro-bands-Frame-Rugged-Protective-Case-with-Strap-Band...

ChristaMM79
Student
Options

My straps broke within the first few weeks of receiving my Gear Fit 2.  I couldn't afford to buy new straps as I had spent everything I saved on the watch. I wasn't able to remove the piece that holds the strap & the watch together as the band fell off at the connection. 

I eventually got tired of not being able to wear it. I finally contacted Samsung and they told me that my watch no longer had a warranty as I had waited too long to ask them to fix it. 

I finally was able to find a place that fixes things, which Samsung had recommended to me too! However, they were unable to remove the connector from the watch in order for me to get new bands on it too.

So here I am with a $200 watch and no way to wear it because the bands won't stay on and the connectors won't remove! This is the 1st thing I've ever bought from samsung that I've been so dissatisified with & disappointed in the way they refuse to help. 

I beleive there should be a recall on this watch! Especially since the  connector cannot be removed in order to replace the cheaply made bands that won't stay on!