Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gear Fit 2 Pro GPS Inaccurate

(Topic created on: 23-09-2018 07:30 PM)
L1ng
Journeyman
Options

Hi there,

I've owned the Gear Fit 2 Pro for about a month now and I have to say I really like it - It has some great features for the price.

The only thing that is holding me back from loving the device is that the GPS when running seems to be pretty inaccurate in parts. I have so far recorded 2 identical runs (same distance) on the Samsung Health app and they are both difference in recorded distance and GPS (see images).

I have made sure that I have disconnected my phone in good time to allow for the watch to pick up its own GPS location but that doesn't seem to make a difference.

See the images for a small snippet of the runs - I have marked in red my actual route - The blue line denotes how the GPS recorded. Note that one says 1.68 miles and the other 2.28 miles even though they are the exact same distance.capture1.PNGCapture2.PNG

Could anyone tell me if they are having a similar experience?

Tom

53 REPLIES 53
richardurwin
First Poster
Options

I ran the Berlin marathon on Sunday and my GearFit 2Pro logged a total of 47.99km - way over the actual 42.195km.

Remarkably, the route it tracked on the map was very accurate.

Waiting to hear what Samsung have to say but if it can't even calculate the length of the route it measures, then it's going to be returned.

The live pace display is also wildly inaccurate (reads much slower than actual pace).

Lerm
Explorer
Options

GPS on the Gear fit 2 Pro is abysmal. My wife's watch has started (as many others have pointed out on here) either dropping GPS signal mid run, or taking about a kilometre before it decides to track resulting in wildly innacurate timings/distances.  It used to at least find a signal quickly, even if it did drop it. But know it can take 5 minutes stood outside under a clear blue sky to find a GPS signal at all (and then it will inevitably drop it at some point during the run).

Seems to have happened after a recent update, so perhaps it's fixable. That would involve Samsung aknowledging and reacting to the problem though so I'm not holding my breath.

0 Likes
Jostian
Apprentice
Options

What i don't understand is the fact that in the workout summary the distance on the map is accurate (in my case 8.1km) but the distance shown in the info summary shows 14.2km for the workout?? That makes no sense to me.

Danielsan
Student
Options
Basically I have the same here (eventhough my tracks are much shorter than a marathon :-)). The GPS Data is almost fine viewed on a different app. I already tried to get support opening support tickets at samsung but nobody looked properly into it by now. To me it looks pretty much like a software issue in the distance calculation. While wearing a device from a different vendor during a run I had a difference of 200m-500m per Kilometer
0 Likes
Jostian
Apprentice
Options

I really dont understand why Samsung don't give any feedback!? 

0 Likes
Danielsan
Student
Options

I also don't understand it. I already offered them to collect whatever they require to perform the analysis. So far I was not getting more than the default support template answers like did you update, did you perform a factory reset, etc..  That is really frustrating when you basically want to help fixing a broken behavior of a device that you like because of the features that work. I'll give it now another try with a set from Samsung and a different vendor. Let's see whether I can get at least any answer while visiting a samsung store

0 Likes
Carole3
First Poster
Options

I thought I'd give an update. For the last month my watch has been finding GPS very quickly in both running and cycling modes. I do not know what happened to make it work but it has been consistently quick (apart from a week in Italy when it didn't find a signal at all!). Last year it was more responsive in Italy than in the UK. The distances are still different to those on Strava and the speed graph is absolute rubbish, appearing to show that I stopped every few paces and then leapt along for another few, but at least it does find GPS.  Heat rate monitor is also dodgy and tends to flatline after a few minutes.

0 Likes
Jagerr
First Poster
Options

Not only that. Yesterday, my gear fit 2 pro showed my route on the map that was considerably different than the one I actually ran. It happened for the first time, still pretty annoying.

0 Likes
Jostian
Apprentice
Options

This inaccuracy issue has been around for months but Samsung don't seem to care...

ViktorianCycle
Apprentice
Options

I also have a problem with GPS tracking.

You can see the photo and how it tracked my cycling path. Obviously those straight lines are errors, as I cycled along the river, not in straight lines accross it. 

What is also interesting is that even if I had the phone on me at all times, the start point of the path is also inccorect. Not only that, but I finished the workout in the same place where I started it, but in the S Health app the end location is 1. not the same as the start location which is incorrect anyways; 2. not the correct location on the map either. 

In my case I know this path is around 8 km, but the watch recorded 4.5 km in SHealth...

I had power saving mode enabled on the phone, so maybe that was the cause. In any case, it should have given me a warning on the watch that this is the way it was going to track my trip. I have to wait for more of the snow to melt before I can repeat the exercise without power saving mode on to see if that helps. 

aaa.jpg