Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Gear app crashes when setting up s3 with new phone

(Topic created on: 11-08-2018 07:19 PM)
ErinKnapp
Apprentice
Options

I changed phones from a Nexus 6p to a Pixel 2XL. My watch pairs with the phone via bluetooth without issues. But when I try to set up the watch with the Gear app, it crashes as soon as I select which watch I have (s3 Frontier). So I can't connect my watch to make calls, use apps, or send text messages etc. I have reset the watch and reinstalled the app several times. There is no app data to delete either. Please help!

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5
Bades1978
Troubleshooter
Options

Hi @ErinKnapp,

Sounds like an issue from a past thread, have a go at the soultion there and see if that does the trick if not let us know and we can see if there is some thing else that can be done. Link to thread => https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/Smartphones-Tablets-Wearables/Gear-S3-Frontier-phone-app-crashes...

0 Likes
ErinKnapp
Apprentice
Options

I read that post and that person had a completely different problem from what I am experiencing.  The other person had a problem with the apps on the watch itself. I cannot get the gear app on my phone to connect to the watch and therefore cannot use the watch currently. The gear app on my phone crashes when I try to set it up.

0 Likes
ErinKnapp
Apprentice
Options

When I try to connect the phone and watch the app just quits. Here is a picture of what I mean.

Screenshot_20180811-173428.png

0 Likes
Solution
Bades1978
Troubleshooter
Options

Okay so after some lengthy searches and many pages of reading I found a solution now this is NOT an offical samsung fix so they may take this down so copy it quick but it looks like and issue with the phone vs the app and that samsung will fix it in a update but you can find a work around here => https://www.pixelspot.net/2018/08/08/samsungs-gear-app-is-incompatible-with-android-9-pie-and-makes-... as im sure your system has the Pie update now being and goggle flagship. Sorry it took so long to find a work around! like and vote if it's a fix.

ErinKnapp
Apprentice
Options

That did it! Thanks so much!