Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy watches and calories burned

(Topic created on: 19-09-2021 09:18 PM)
Ak4
Pioneer
Options

Hi all, 

As I noticed there's many forums regarding the calories issue, I received my watch mid Feb and noticed the issue myself towards end of Feb regardless of what I did I'd burn the same amount of calories so I assumed it was preprogrammed. I've DM'd Samsung health and I'd like everyone to see their responses:

Good afternoon! Thanks for reaching out to us. We just want to clear up that they aren't pre-programmed calories that are burnt. Certain workouts, like walking and running for example, will take into account your heart rate, along with the stats given on your Samsung Health Profile. There are some workouts that will not utilise the heart rate, but will take in to account your Samsung Health Profile and Basal Metabolic Rate. So they are tailored to you, providing your profile is accurate, but you are right, some workouts don't use the Heart Rate Monitor.

If there are certain workouts you feel could be improved, we suggest sending in your feedback through Error Reports on our Samsung Members app. That way, this will be sent over to our Research and Development team for review. ^JS

The calorie count displayed does not mean the exact burned calories during exercise, and is not the same as the true burned calorie data. The calorie calculation may increase based on the basal metabolic rate (BMR), even without exercising. This is normal operation. You can find this information on the following page our colleagues have put together: https://t.co/3UPihQt1YO

Also, the new ECG/BP update is not to be used during exercise. You can find more information on it here: https://t.co/tfqPQ2njol ^SH

It is true that is calculates your calories burned live, as the Basal Metabolic Rate fluctuates throughout the day. So it is an estimation of how many calories you have burnt based on this, the type of workout, and your profile. Not all workouts will use this method and will use the heart rate instead.

You are right in the fact that some workouts will churn out a figure from the information you have entered, as that is how it is designed to work. Using your profile, BMR and the parameters of your workout. If you then proceed not to do the workout you have just told your watch that you are doing, then this won't be an accurate, live calorie count.

We are constantly improving our watch software to ensure a great level of accuracy is maintained for our customers. This is the reason we mentioned sending in your error logs about this issue. Then our R&D team can look at improving our software and devices. Contributions like that, helps us to improve all of our products. ^JS

As they've said not all workouts use this method and use heart rate instead I've found that only running/walking use the heart rate to calculate calories and everything else uses your BMR. Hope this helps everyone looking for answers about the calories burned issues. Also if you need a watch to track fitness accurately I suggest trying a different band. 

34 REPLIES 34
Cat2k1
Pioneer
Options
It is directed to @howdidoo above me.
0 Likes
lorraineg57
Pioneer
Options

I have more issues posting on these forums since the inception of the Samsung members app....sorry. 

0 Likes
Cat2k1
Pioneer
Options
Regarding your comment, there will be a slight difference in readings with wrist and strap devices due to their functions. Wrist has multiple functions than a strap so its 100% accuracy is divided by the amount of function the device does. I have an iFit.com and Polar HR straps. The iFit.com HR strap is cross-compatible via Bluetooth but the Polar HR strap is linked to my Nordictrack Indoor cycle.

When using both, at first I did notice a slight difference with reading but after awhile they were giving the same readings. Other factors are taking into consideration with HR straps/wrist devices so @howdidoo hasn't done his homework to claim it's not to 'Industry Standards'.
0 Likes
lorraineg57
Pioneer
Options

I do crossfit and there is just no way for a wrist worn device to handle the movement/flexion of my wrist and maintain enough contact to get a good reading. I use a polar strap. Just for the hey of it, I tested the galaxy 4 with the strap just while I was putzing around the house. I was just doing laundry, cleaning, boring stuff. Surprisingly, they were very comparable but it seems like the 4 needs to "search" for the HR before it settles down into a reading. The number fluctuates, sometimes blinks before I get a reading. It is set to continuous. My A2 didn't do that so we'll see. Again, for me at least, I'd rather the strap. Open heart surgery for a valve repair 2 years ago, I'm trying to get as close as possible to accurate.

0 Likes
Cat2k1
Pioneer
Options
Whichever works best for you. I'm sure Samsung do HR straps.🤔🤔
0 Likes
lorraineg57
Pioneer
Options

I can bt my watch with a third party app to my polar or I can bt a fitness app on the phone to the polar. Samsung health will bt to an external hrm on the phone but samsung's algorithm doesn't include HR, aside from walking or running,  like I said before.

0 Likes
lorraineg57
Pioneer
Options

Algorithm for calorie burn. I don't understand why I can post here but not edit. What a pain. 

0 Likes
lorraineg57
Pioneer
Options

None besides walking and running. 

0 Likes
Cat2k1
Pioneer
Options
Use the icon encircled to edit/delete.clipboard_image_1632091720666_1632091720666.jpg
0 Likes
lorraineg57
Pioneer
Options

yes, I can edit on my laptop, but it tells me ''unable to complete request" if i try to use the webpage instead of the app on my phone.

0 Likes