Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Watch3 to Watch4 incremental changes... is it worth the upgrade between them

(Topic created on: 17-03-2022 02:40 PM)
smiley
Troubleshooter
Options

A question specifically for those users that have upgraded directly from last years model of watch3, to this years new release watch4.   I have owned the watch3 for a year, and the watch 4 is currently at a good price with a trade in. 

The watch3 was already a top end model and includes many of the features for blood pressure, ECG and most of what someone would wish for.   These all seem to work pretty well for the watch 3.  

So are the incremental changes to watch4 worth the upgrade ?   Of course the main one is a change from Tizen to Wear OS.  Is the Wear OS system that much better ?   How is the battery life ?  Do the sensors seem to be an improvement for heart rate tracking etc. 

I am interested to hear comments from those that have already done the upgrade as to the pro's and con's of changing from watch 3 to watch 4. 

Thankyou for your time.

Smiley :smiling-face:

- Smiley
------------------------------------------------------------------------
SAMSUNG S23 ULTRA 512GB SM-S918B/DS

Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 Pro SM-R920 in Grey Titanium
Samsung Galaxy Buds2 Pro SM-R510 in Graphite
0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7
nico81arg
Pathfinder
Options
If you are interested in health metrics, watch some reviews of accuracy on YouTube and you will run away from Samsung and go for either fitbit or garmin.
0 Likes
smiley
Troubleshooter
Options

Thanks... appreciate your feedback but not quite the question i am asking.  

As a former runner I used to use Garmin...by far the best for sports.  Good accuracy for distance and heart rate.    Alas I can no longer run or do many fitness tasks due to my heart health and arrhythmia problems. 

Therefore nowadays I am more interested in the tracking during walking/hiking ... occasional cycling... and more importantly the accuracy of the ECG / Blood Pressure / heart rate are all important to me.    These all work reasonably with the Watch3... but the HR analysis can sometimes be a bit erratic.  I often use a polar chest strap for HR accuracy.  

I have an S21U and the Samsung Ecosystem works well together, so I am not looking to move away from Samsung, but perhaps update to the newest watch4... if the changes are worthwhile.  

Smiley

- Smiley

Shnookerdookies
Voyager
Options
Wait till Aug/Sept and get the GW5
Blood pressure monitor is just fad and isn't very accurate when compared with my proper monitor
I wasn't impressed with the gw3 and sent it back straight away but gave the gw4 a chance!!
Heart rate on my gw4 is erratic at times will say 130bpm when it's no where near so I have to question how accurate the cals are
But mainly use mine to log my 20k steps I try and a do a day
Ecg seems OK but in all honesty I've used 10times max same as blood pressure
I do like the body metrics as much as its another gimmick and probably not very accurate it gives and Indication if your doing good or falling short!!!
But in all honesty not a big update from gw3 to gw4
I charge my 45mm watch every night and normally have about 20% battery left after logging 2hrs 30mins walking everyday
Mines the lte version and I believe from reviews the Bluetooth version is better on battery again

Keep you current watch and get the 5 when out 😀
0 Likes
iamcool133
Pioneer
Options
You only get 2 hours? I get 2 days from daily use the battery only really drains If you just continuously are using it
0 Likes
smiley
Troubleshooter
Options

I have read a few reviews and youtube videos on the GW4 today... and to be honest it doesn't seem there is too much there for improvements to draw me away from the GW3.  

I agree with you that it is probably worth a wait for the 5th generation... and see what that brings in features.  Rumours are that it will be more of a 'native' WearOS version...where the GW4 is more a hybrid Samsung modified version... a first off attempt that is somewhere between the TizenOS of old watches and the newer WearOS.   

I will probably wait it out for another 6 months...

Thanks

Smiley

- Smiley

0 Likes
Daz73r
Helping Hand
Options
I traded mine and paid £9 for the 4 and love it
Shnookerdookies
Voyager
Options
2hrs? Wheres it say that
Comes off charge 10pm at night I do 2 n half hrs of exercise next day logged and tracked and use watch all day till 9pm next day and have between 20-30% battery left when it goes back on charge 🙃
0 Likes