Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy watch will only show total steps😡😡

(Topic created on: 12-01-2020 05:53 PM)
Turborat72
First Poster
Options

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is a way of the watch only showing steps counted by the watch, not steps counted by both phone & watch?

As it is at the moment, it's pretty useless for me as I rely quite heavily on the the watch step count and not the phone (and especially both added together?!).

Any help would be appreciated as after extensive searching online, I can't find a solution.

Thanks

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3
Turborat72
First Poster
Options
Has anyone got any ideas on this one or have the same requirements me regarding simply just seeing the watch step count rather than total step count on the galaxy watch??

Thanks
0 Likes
Garry4
Journeyman
Options

I did a little test with mine today and the watch does not add the total steps from both together.  I’m not entirely sure what is does as it does not seem to be the average of both either so maybe there is some time stamp on the steps involved.  I did a walk with both my phone and my watch but disconnected with Bluetooth off.  They both recorded similar steps within 1% over 4000 steps.  I then synced and the total figure on the watch and phone increased by around 1%.  They were not added together or averaged.  My wife did the same walk with here fitbit and gave similar total steps.

I’m thinking there might be some timestamp involved e.g. if watch records 10 steps from 12:00 – 12:01 and phone also records 10 steps then the total remains at 10.  If watch records nothing from 12:00 – 12:01 then, once synced, both will show 10. If watch records 10 steps from 12:00 – 12:01 but nothing from 12:01 – 12:02 and only the phone records 10 steps from 12:01 – 12:02 then, once synced, both will show 20 steps.

Just my reasoning but, as with 90% of forum posts, maybe rubbish 😊

The difficulty comes when somebody else borrows your phone! :face-with-tears-of-joy:

0 Likes
Grant837
Explorer
Options

If you wear your watch all the time, then indeed, you only want the watch data.  The solution is easy now (Active 2 watch): on the phone app, go to the Steps pages in the Health app, select ' Mobile '  only, AND now go up to the three dots in the upper right, and select 'Pause Step Counts'.  Then go back and switch to 'All Steps'  (phone and watch).  After that only steps from your watch are tracked.

It would be neat if a few more people would test the other reply that the app normalizes the input if both are active and so removes double counting, and confirm)