Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Galaxy Watch sometimes showing Whatsapp notification photo's (but most of the time doesn't)

(Topic created on: 02-10-2018 01:39 PM)
Beem
Journeyman
Options

Hi all,

A question about WhatsApp notifications on the Galaxy Watch (42mm, not that it should matter). Most of the time when someone sends me a photo on WhatsApp, I don't get to see the photo in the notification on my watch. I'll just show the small camera icon to signify there's a photo in the message. But sometimes I do see the photo in the notification on the watch. However I haven't been able to figure out why some photo's do get shown while most of them do not.

Any ideas? Do photo's in Whatsapp messages show up on your Galaxy Watches?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
NirAvr
First Poster
Options

Hi,

The only way I can see images on my galaxy watch is if all the following apply :

-The image was sent in a group chat.

-Only one image was sent.

-The image is the only new message in the group

-No other messages from other chats in the whatsapp notification.

I hope it was helpful.

View solution in context

28 REPLIES 28
Dano14
First Poster
Options

I have the same problame too,

Cant see Whatsapp notification photo.

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options
Hi @Beem

It may have something to do with the format or size of the attached image. Next time it doesn't show up on the watch I recommend checking the image details when you open Whatsapp to check for any notable details, then check this against the next instance that it happens.
0 Likes
Beem
Journeyman
Options

Hi AndrewL, thanks for your reply. I'll check the details next time. Hopefully I'll get some photo's that work (they're rare), so I can compare them and maybe find what sets them apart.

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options
No problem, @Beem. Let me know how you get on.
0 Likes
Dano14
First Poster
Options

In my Galaxy watch 46mm when someone sends me a photo on WhatsApp, I don't get to see the photo in the notification on my watch. I'll just show the small camera icon to signify there's a photo in the message.

0 Likes
Beem
Journeyman
Options

Right, so this morning my girlfriend (who also has the 42mm, but rose gold) got a WhatsApp notification on her watch that showed a photo. Since I'd told her about making this post she immediately showed me and we started debugging what the reason might be that she saw the photo on her watch.

Some theories we had that we tested:

- The image was different than other images: false. She forwarded the photo to me and I did not see the photo on my watch.

- The image showed because it was sent to her from an iPhone: false. We had the sender send the same photo to me, and it did not show up on my watch.

- Images only showed up on her watch: false. When I send the same photo back to her it did not show on her watch.

- There was a difference in software versions: false. Me and my gf have the same watch and even the same phone (Xperia XZ1 Compact). We checked the software versions of her watch, phone and WhatsApp, all were identical to mine.

So we still have no idea why the photos showed on her watch. They didn't on mine, even in (as far as we can tell) identical conditions (same sender, same photo, same devices and same software versions).

Is there anyone from Samsung who can shed some light on this issue? I assume Samsung knows which image sizes/formats/etc are supported and are expected to show in WhatsApp notifications on the watch? Or can this be some kind of bluetooth bandwith issue? (in that case, I could try while connected through wifi)

Dano14
First Poster
Options

I try while connected through wifi and its still not working.

Can someone from Samsung's team solve this mystery for us?

0 Likes
Solution
NirAvr
First Poster
Options

Hi,

The only way I can see images on my galaxy watch is if all the following apply :

-The image was sent in a group chat.

-Only one image was sent.

-The image is the only new message in the group

-No other messages from other chats in the whatsapp notification.

I hope it was helpful.

ACEaleh
First Poster
Options

*****, this is true, i have tested it after a long search and thinking, so this is something they should fix in the future, i think related to whatsapp else samsung would have solved it. 

0 Likes