Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Watch - screen wake up/turn off behaviour is irritating

(Topic created on: 26-01-2019 03:22 PM)
ConcreteLlama
Navigator
Options

I got my Galaxy Watch on Friday and for the most part I love it. However, a couple of things really bug me about a) the consistency of the wake up gesture and b) its tendency to turn the screen off much more quickly than it should.

So for a) - sometimes I just find that the wake up gesture doesn't work at all and I have to put my arm down and then back up again until it works. This feature is one of the most fundamental aspects of a smart watch that needs to work. It is especially noticable if I'm lying down but occasionally causes issues when sitting or standing. I think it's something your engineers really need to look at as, after a quick Google, I've seen many people complain about it on the Gear S3. I hope this is looked into as the fact it was an issue back then but still hasn't been fixed is a bit of a bad sign to me...

For b) I have 2 main issues. 1 is that the screen timeout setting only applies if the watch was woken up by the buttons and not by the wake up gesture. I think it's fine to have a different screen timeout if it was woken by gesture, but it should really be a configurable option.

The other annoyance is that the screen turns off when you tilt the watch back down. I think this is OK if you've woken the watch up with a gesture but it should be possible to disable this if the watch has been woken up by buttons or the dial. 

119 REPLIES 119
RickB1
Apprentice
Options

Remember, the rear sensor must be in contac with your skin or it will shut off.  When i place it down off my wrist and reattach it i must activate the screen with one push to wake it up.  Then for the next 23 hours it never shuts off but it does dim a bit.  YOU MUST KEEP "AUTO BRIGHTNESS OFF"

GOOD LUCK

0 Likes
wortex
Apprentice
Options
The longest it can go seems to be 5mins with auto gestures off. I tried Flaunt app and that didn't work. I think Samsung doesn't want us to have the option to have it on all the time because it will drain battery too fast. I agree with others here, we should still be given an option to choose whether to keep it on or off. All we can do for now is get a watch face that has a good AOD face thats not dim. I just got the watch 2 days ago and already found a face that works well. I'm trying Watchmaker that lets us customize faces, create your own and change AOD face.
Cryztal
Explorer
Options

Hey, thank you I will look into that when I learn what it is and how to find it lol :face-with-tears-of-joy: x

0 Likes
RickB1
Apprentice
Options

Well this galaxy watch was my first samsung product and my LAST.  I am an iPhone user.  Even tho everyone complained that their watch went black and everyone complained about this i had my watch staying on all the time when wearing it.  It did dim but never went black.  Now, after the new improved softwre update yesterday the watch goes black unless i move it up to my face or turn the bezel.  I bought the watch to strickly use while sleeping so i can see the time as i awake during the night without reaching for my iPhone.  I am extremely unhappy with this ***** watch.  SAMSUNG how can i go back to the previouse version software.  This watch is a complete joke.  SAMSUNG i hope you're listening.  It will be put into the back of my junk drawer.

0 Likes
wortex
Apprentice
Options

If you have always on setting turned on it doesn't go black, it depends on the face watch. At least for me thats how it works.

0 Likes
Cryztal
Explorer
Options

I have always on set to on and no matter what face I use it always goes black. 

MR55
Apprentice
Options
Always On really means you have to keep turning it On no matter what! As long as you understand that then you'll move forward. Ugh
0 Likes
MJC2
First Poster
Options

I am also having he same issue. I need to tap my phone or press the home button to look at the time.

Also Spotify plays music every time I hang up. Is there a way to fix this

0 Likes
RickB1
Apprentice
Options

All of a sudden i can't download any watch faces or apps.  I deleted the app and re-set the watch twice.  WiFi is on my network and when i click download a window appears asking me to accept terms and conditions which i do.  Then it says downloading but nothing actually downloads.  WHen i first got this crapola watch in december i was able to download faces so perhaps it's the server.  any thoughts??

0 Likes
Kumarp
First Poster
Options

@Jane-0 wrote:
I bought my watch not even a week ago and the wake up gesture does not work. I can put my arm down and bring it back up and the watch face is black.

You must have the theater mode turned off for it to work perfectly.

Won't say it's still the smoothest but yes works.

0 Likes