Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Watch - screen wake up/turn off behaviour is irritating

(Topic created on: 17-01-2019 03:04 PM)
ConcreteLlama
Navigator
Options

I got my Galaxy Watch on Friday and for the most part I love it. However, a couple of things really bug me about a) the consistency of the wake up gesture and b) its tendency to turn the screen off much more quickly than it should.

So for a) - sometimes I just find that the wake up gesture doesn't work at all and I have to put my arm down and then back up again until it works. This feature is one of the most fundamental aspects of a smart watch that needs to work. It is especially noticable if I'm lying down but occasionally causes issues when sitting or standing. I think it's something your engineers really need to look at as, after a quick Google, I've seen many people complain about it on the Gear S3. I hope this is looked into as the fact it was an issue back then but still hasn't been fixed is a bit of a bad sign to me...

For b) I have 2 main issues. 1 is that the screen timeout setting only applies if the watch was woken up by the buttons and not by the wake up gesture. I think it's fine to have a different screen timeout if it was woken by gesture, but it should really be a configurable option.

The other annoyance is that the screen turns off when you tilt the watch back down. I think this is OK if you've woken the watch up with a gesture but it should be possible to disable this if the watch has been woken up by buttons or the dial. 

119 REPLIES 119
Cryztal
Explorer
Options
I agree 100% ..ughhh I want to keep my face watch on. The 5 mins doesn't even work. My screen stays on for 3 seconds..🤨
0 Likes
CLee
Apprentice
Options

It woukd be nice, im having same issue.  The program team has no common sense on watchs.  We got it to tell the time to appear wearing a watch not a orniment.

I would never have putchased this watch. Its the most frustrating to wake this pos.  

SAMSUNG, YOU ARE SMARTER THEN THIS, ADD OPTION FOR ON ALK THE TIME, WITH THE TIME OUTS.  THE TIMEOUTS DO NOT WORK.  I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING ADJUSTED TO HIGHEST SETTING ITS OFF IN 5-20 SEC UNLESS PLAYING WITH IT.  

Cryztal
Explorer
Options
You can only increase the screen timeout feature to a maximum of 5 minutes and that doesn't work. The watch still screens out after 3 seconds.
0 Likes
CLee
Apprentice
Options

I use the watch for time date, and have it with cell service also so when I walk away from phone i can answer it, recieve texts etc.  I have a busy life unfortunatly and tech has compunded the multi tasks abilities for employees of all fields.

So i need the screen on or dimmed all day.  So what I did to resolve my problem with my main issue, instead of using phone to program watch, i went direct to watch.

Understand im 49, been a tech geek since the commadore 64, whe  reading this.

None of the smart gagets come with an instruction book, as this saves company money, so they  you do online to read instructions.  This forces all to have internet access.

So anyway i went into settings and display ON THE WATCH, and you can KEEP DISPLAY ON.

The whole raise your arm to make it go on works 1/2 the time.  Reality uts not perfected yet, its getting there, but not where I want it.  I waited all this time 2019 to purchase first smart watch.

The batteries I believe ate the biggest problem, they cant make a small powerfull batteey to last yet..

In time if we dont sercum to another iceage or flooding of the wold we will continue to evolve. Or if the aliens cone back and share thier secrets..

Lastly, does anyone know a good place for movado, or rolex or clsssy faces?  I was hoping Samsung would have gotten this for us.

3rd year back to Samsung Andriod from Apple, where I had been for 8 years. Before that where everyone elss wiyh Andriod since the first day.

Chris

0 Likes
Cryztal
Explorer
Options

We know about watch always on setting in watch. It doesn't work. Even when this setting in switched to on the watch still screens out. 

0 Likes
RickB1
Apprentice
Options

I turned my watch on Christmas day and it has not turned off at all.  I sleep with it and only remove it to shower.  The display is on all night long and all day long and only shuts off when off my wrist..  It does slightly dim but always visable and does come to full brightness when raised to my face.  Not sure why all the confusion.

Here me roar.  I sleep with the watch and being 69 i wake every few hours.  The face never turns off.  It's on for 23 hours a day until i remove it.  Apparently the rear sensor knows when it's being worn. 

My Settings;

AUTO LOW BRIGHTNESS “off"

SCREEN TIME OUT "1 MINUTE” 
WAKE UP GESTURE “ON”
BEZEL WAKEUP “ON”
GOODNIGHT MODE “OFF”
WATCH ALWAYS ON “ON”
HEART RATE SET TO “FREQUENT"
CLee
Apprentice
Options

Now that sucks, you have to have an issue with watch.  They always make me reset watch to factory defaults, reinstall any updates both on phone and watch.

Its s pain in rear, did you try?

Chris

CLee
Apprentice
Options

SAMSUNG NEEDS TO HAVE ALL SETTINGS ON PHONE ,AS WATCH FOR ALL THE HALF BLIND OLD PEOPLE LIKE ME.....

0 Likes
Cryztal
Explorer
Options
I'll give it a go, thank you
0 Likes
Cryztal
Explorer
Options
Brilliant I'm really happy for you...I'm going to copy your settings see if it helps.
0 Likes