Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Watch - screen wake up/turn off behaviour is irritating

(Topic created on: 21-06-2019 02:34 PM)
ConcreteLlama
Navigator
Options

I got my Galaxy Watch on Friday and for the most part I love it. However, a couple of things really bug me about a) the consistency of the wake up gesture and b) its tendency to turn the screen off much more quickly than it should.

So for a) - sometimes I just find that the wake up gesture doesn't work at all and I have to put my arm down and then back up again until it works. This feature is one of the most fundamental aspects of a smart watch that needs to work. It is especially noticable if I'm lying down but occasionally causes issues when sitting or standing. I think it's something your engineers really need to look at as, after a quick Google, I've seen many people complain about it on the Gear S3. I hope this is looked into as the fact it was an issue back then but still hasn't been fixed is a bit of a bad sign to me...

For b) I have 2 main issues. 1 is that the screen timeout setting only applies if the watch was woken up by the buttons and not by the wake up gesture. I think it's fine to have a different screen timeout if it was woken by gesture, but it should really be a configurable option.

The other annoyance is that the screen turns off when you tilt the watch back down. I think this is OK if you've woken the watch up with a gesture but it should be possible to disable this if the watch has been woken up by buttons or the dial. 

119 REPLIES 119
FYNS21ULTRA
First Poster
Options

I have made the mistake of buying galaxy watch as well. I was looking for a classy watch with fitness abilities. What I found is 300 euro piece of technology that can not keep its display on when my running app is measuring the time of my laps when I run. I can't make it stay on. It is sometimes very difficult to turn it on with wrist turn even when I stop in the middle of my running session. 

300 euro down the drain.. do not ever buy this watch as a choice for running

andrehoracio97
First Poster
Options

I cant agreee more with you. They need to let us decide what we want. Its stupid what they até doing.

Klikk
Apprentice
Options

When I buy this watch they call it always on display, its NOT

0 Likes
Forpar
First Poster
Options

Thank you for the gesture info. I was ready to throw this stupid thing against the wall. I would run the exercise program and as soon as I moved my wrist it would go black so i could not see my timer then go to the watch face. Are you kidding me??? That should be so basic. If I set to always on that is the only setting I should have to deal with.

0 Likes
Eja
First Poster
Options

Turn the theatre mode to OFF

0 Likes
Cryztal
Explorer
Options

@Eja wrote:

Turn the theatre mode to OFF

It's already off, that doesn't help with the issue I or anyone else in here is having.

0 Likes
Cryztal
Explorer
Options
Even my wake up by flipping my wrist doesn't even wake my watch up anymore. The "alive" feature someone posted about in here (sorry forgot who) is the only thing so far that keeps this watch awake, but, unfortunately drains the battery at an alarming rate.
0 Likes
Cryztal
Explorer
Options
I think flinging the stupid thing off the wall is about the only thing that sounds good to me anymore 🤣
0 Likes
bp328i
Journeyman
Options

I honnestly think the battery drain is why Samsung does not add a real AOD. If you run the I am Alive app all day you will see that app actually uses very little battery and the main drain is from Watch faces. 

0 Likes
bp328i
Journeyman
Options

Sorry for the double post, I thought the last post did not reply to you but now I see both did. 

I honnestly think the battery drain is why Samsung does not add a real AOD. If you run the I am Alive app all day you will see that app actually uses very little battery and the main drain is from Watch faces. 

0 Likes