Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Watch - screen wake up/turn off behaviour is irritating

(Topic created on: 02-04-2019 04:28 PM)
ConcreteLlama
Navigator
Options

I got my Galaxy Watch on Friday and for the most part I love it. However, a couple of things really bug me about a) the consistency of the wake up gesture and b) its tendency to turn the screen off much more quickly than it should.

So for a) - sometimes I just find that the wake up gesture doesn't work at all and I have to put my arm down and then back up again until it works. This feature is one of the most fundamental aspects of a smart watch that needs to work. It is especially noticable if I'm lying down but occasionally causes issues when sitting or standing. I think it's something your engineers really need to look at as, after a quick Google, I've seen many people complain about it on the Gear S3. I hope this is looked into as the fact it was an issue back then but still hasn't been fixed is a bit of a bad sign to me...

For b) I have 2 main issues. 1 is that the screen timeout setting only applies if the watch was woken up by the buttons and not by the wake up gesture. I think it's fine to have a different screen timeout if it was woken by gesture, but it should really be a configurable option.

The other annoyance is that the screen turns off when you tilt the watch back down. I think this is OK if you've woken the watch up with a gesture but it should be possible to disable this if the watch has been woken up by buttons or the dial. 

119 REPLIES 119
bp328i
Journeyman
Options

That's crazy,

Galaxy store,

Click watch at the bottom

Search, I am alive

Click watchScreenshot_20190401-191235_Galaxy Store.jpg

d4005
Explorer
Options
For anyone interested in this alive app, this might make you want or not want to use it:
I have the 46mm Galaxy Watch with the larger battery than the smaller watch.

From 9am - 11am with normal AOD my battery percentage dropped from 100% -> 94%, approx 3% per hour.
From 11am - 5pm with Alive active it went from 94% down to 41%, approx 9%/hour.

So, at 9% per hour, it could go from 100% down to 1% in 11 hours.

I have brightness set to 7. By reducing brightness I might optimize that drop-rate to 8% or 7%.

Still totally happy to have this option now 🙂
tfurru1
Journeyman
Options

That normal AOD % is spot on.  I usually get a 3%/hr drop too with my 46mm watch.  And TBH, I used to have a 9%/hr drop with normal AOD on my Gear S3!  :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-winking-eye: It was terrible.  The Galaxy Watch is so much better on battery life.

Cryztal
Explorer
Options

Thanks 

0 Likes
Cryztal
Explorer
Options

Thanks I found it no problems using my phone, couldn't find the app using my computer, and it's so nice to finally see my watch looking like a normal watch. I hated that screen turning off all the time. Thank you for this, it's great. I don't care about battery life, watch is easily charged right!! :smiling-face:

wortex
Apprentice
Options

My watch doesn’t find it either when I search in galaxy apps. If you use iPhone it’s a different galaxy store and it never had that app. 

0 Likes
King8311
First Poster
Options

Shake to wake option please?

0 Likes
Aragorn78
First Poster
Options

I have the same problems running the Gear S3 Frontier on Tizen 4.0. Raising my arm to look at the works about 10% of the time. Thought it was just me. Thanks for bringing this up! I agree that screen timeout should be configurable for wake up on raising your arm.

0 Likes
erwatt
First Poster
Options

I just wished my phone would wake up when I raise my arm. I can swing my arm like a monkey and get no response. I have to press a button or turn the bezel to wake it up. Where are the engineers to fix this problem. This is unsafe if your riding a bike. We need help. 

0 Likes
Klikk
Apprentice
Options

Aod turn off black here to. Very frustrating. My last Samsung mobile was S8, but after S8 I stop buy them, and now  gear s3 is my last watch from Samsung

0 Likes